Andy

Transitioning from street to dualsport, need clothing recommendations

I LOVE my Tech 8s for boots. The o'Neals might be better, but I wouldn't know. I use some evs kneeguards, look like catcher's gear. They suck, but I've yet to find better. Lots of guys swear knee braces like the Asterisk, Pods or EVS are great protection, but at $550 a pair or more, that's outta my league.

If I were to but all new gear tomorrow, I'd buy the Dianese jacket (or that tempting low-buck 661) AND I'd get the lower body stuff to match. That looks like a lot of protection, and the way I ride (ungracefully) I could probably use it.

The other big decision for you is a Leatt. Designed to be both comfortable and restrict neck range-of-motion, many swear by it's protection. I was never able to get used to mine, but other wear them in good health and comfort.

p

I LOVE my Tech 8s for boots. The o'Neals might be better, but I wouldn't know. I use some evs kneeguards, look like catcher's gear. They suck, but I've yet to find better. Lots of guys swear knee braces like the Asterisk, Pods or EVS are great protection, but at $550 a pair or more, that's outta my league.

If I were to but all new gear tomorrow, I'd buy the Dianese jacket (or that tempting low-buck 661) AND I'd get the lower body stuff to match. That looks like a lot of protection, and the way I ride (ungracefully) I could probably use it.

The other big decision for you is a Leatt. Designed to be both comfortable and restrict neck range-of-motion, many swear by it's protection. I was never able to get used to mine, but other wear them in good health and comfort.

p

Joliet may have a neck brace for sale... I think he got it from an S&M site based on the procedure to put it on...

I went snooping around my local Cycle Gear store this last weekend. The Dainese Wave V jackets are beautifully built and by far the most comprehensive pad setup on the market compared to the other big makers, but good god are they expensive. The important thing for me is that, for example if I were to spend less money and get an Alpinestars Bionic 2 jacket instead of the Dainese Wave V, is it going to protect me adequately while I fall off repeatedly learning how to steer a bike in the dirt. I don't necessarily need top of the line (yet), but I do necessarily need proper protection. Is there any reason the A-Stars stuff wouldn't do its job for the newbie riding I'll be doing? I know I'm beating a dead horse and probably over analyzing (I'm an engineer, what can I say?), but hopefully the voices of experience can help here :clapping:

Cycle Gear has O'Neal Element boots for $110, that seems to be a great price as boots go. Are they good equipment?

Also, what type of outer layer is good for wearing over all the padding and offering decent dirt rash protection? I'm thinking of my legs more than my arms, but again I may be over analyzing.

I also looked into the neck braces, the Leatt is a pretty cool setup. That will likely be an addition to my arsenal once I'm doing real riding in more precarious situations.

Thanks once again for everyone's feedback and patience!!

I have a pair of Elements... Pretty much bottom of the line, and I break a couple of buckles every ride. I would not skimp on boots as a new dirt rider

^ ok, so the Elements are out. Thanks :clapping: Not afraid of spending more money to avoid junk gear.

This is what I wear up top.

http://www.rockgardn.com/items/body-armor/...?1=1&menu=1

I recommend it and I will probably get another next year as this one is starting to come unstitched, it is 3 years old. I just hang it up and hit it with the pressure washer when I do my bike or when it gets to smelling too bad. :clapping:

I wear a thin polypropylene underarmor shirt underneath it and a vented jersey over it. Over that I wear my Oggio vest. I wear the same thing if it is 50 degrees or 95 degrees out. If it is colder than that I put on a rain jacket over the jersey.

I wear Alpinstar hinged knee guards over my riding pants, and Sidi Forceflex boots. I like the boots, but it took a long time to break them in, and they have saved my feet and lower legs from serious injury's. I may try Sidi Crossfire boots, if these ever wear out.

See you on the trails, Ken

That Rockgardn setup looks incredibly appealing. More armor plating than the A-Stars setup and it's less expensive. I may have a winner there. I'll try on some more boots today at Cycle Gear n see what's out there.

I throw a reccomendation for the Thor Impact Rig in the hat. I've had mine for about 6 months now. Very comfortable, a little on the hot side when the temps reach over 80, but I'm not convinced any body armour is going have all that much of a cooling effect.

Ok, stage 1 complete; I ordered my Rockgardn Flak Jacket today. The guy said I'm prolly a small/medium, so hopefully it fits on the first try.

Are Moose Racing boots any good? Parts Unlimited has the Tech-8's and a couple types of Moose Racing boots on their list for decent prices.

Most of the tech series are pretty well rated... look for an articulating ankle, rather than flexie plastic. and before you buy on-line, try a boot on in a shop (I would not buy boots on-line for exactly this reason... If a local shop has them, even for a bit more, I will buy from them to ensure fit, finish and to reward my local store for being a local store. Plus they are more likely to stand behind the product, I would think)

When you going riding Andy? Go get that XR dirty! I'll run you around Sunday afternoon if you are available... Viejas Grade to Pine Valley...

Most of the tech series are pretty well rated... look for an articulating ankle, rather than flexie plastic. and before you buy on-line, try a boot on in a shop (I would not buy boots on-line for exactly this reason... If a local shop has them, even for a bit more, I will buy from them to ensure fit, finish and to reward my local store for being a local store. Plus they are more likely to stand behind the product, I would think)

When you going riding Andy? Go get that XR dirty! I'll run you around Sunday afternoon if you are available... Viejas Grade to Pine Valley...

Andy

This is partly to annoy my colleagues on SDAR but also partly serious. I have been wearing the same pair of good quality leather boots for over 30 years. Check out real leather instead of synthetic plastics that crack and are heavy and uncomfortable. You will actually wear them.

Here is one of my pair of boots. Yes they are over 30 years old but all I do is oil them once a year.

post-6274-1235521179_thumb.jpg

Don, for most dual sport riding and slower speeds, you are right that those boots are probably enough... and an 86 XRL has enough power and suspension...

trust me when I say, those boots are not suitable for double jumps, rock gardens, etc. any more than an 86 XRL is...

That being said, I would ride my XR and wear those boots on 90% of the rides we do, and would not have any issues... it's that 10% where bad things can happen, and most of us DO push our limits on occasion.

and don't stop being a Luddite... it's one of your most charming characteristics :lol:

trust me when I say, those boots are not suitable for double jumps, rock gardens, etc. any more than an 86 XRL is...

True, though I'd imagine the high platforms/heels on "Slut-Boots" would be a problem on the pegs regardless of terrain....

Platforms.jpg

Boom-chocka-locka!

Andy, I wouldn't buy boots without trying them on first. You will be miserable in some brands, and happy in others of an identical size. It's just like a good bra, they have to fit just right or it can rub, bind or cut into...uh...nevermind.

Go try them on, and please don't cheap out and try them on in a store, then internet buy them to save $20. The store that stocks them deserves your business!

p

Boom-chocka-locka!

Andy, I wouldn't buy boots without trying them on first. You will be miserable in some brands, and happy in others of an identical size. It's just like a good bra, they have to fit just right or it can rub, bind or cut into...uh...nevermind.

Go try them on, and please don't cheap out and try them on in a store, then internet buy them to save $20. The store that stocks them deserves your business!

p

that's what i was trying to say before crawdaddy got all weird... Chris; MY boots cover my shins

Andy

This is partly to annoy my colleagues on SDAR but also partly serious. I have been wearing the same pair of good quality leather boots for over 30 years. Check out real leather instead of synthetic plastics that crack and are heavy and uncomfortable. You will actually wear them.

Here is one of my pair of boots. Yes they are over 30 years old but all I do is oil them once a year.

New boots will never last as long as older boots, thanks to organizations like ASPCA, cows used to not be so "thin skinned" like they are today. You just mention the word boots around today's "spoiled rotten" cows and they lawyer up.

Don, I am just wondering if those boots pulled your family's belongings out here via the Oregon trail before they were made into your boots.

1wagon_trail.jpg

Don, for most dual sport riding and slower speeds, you are right that those boots are probably enough... and an 86 XRL has enough power and suspension...

That being said, I would ride my XR and wear those boots on 90% of the rides we do, and would not have any issues... it's that 10% where bad things can happen, and most of us DO push our limits on occasion.

and don't stop being a Luddite... it's one of your most charming characteristics :lol:

HMMM... "Luddite" I'm impressed. Insightful and articulate Bob.

I think I actually provoked you to be serious. :ph34r:

I really don't disagree with the lobster man caution that is popular. I actually own a full set of body armor (and yes it is from the 80's). I only use it when I am going to ride one of my vintage Husky 390's where I know I can get hurt. I have actually been knocked unconscious wearing full body armor on one after flipping over backwards going up a steep hill when my foot slipped off the peg and my butt came down on the seat causing the rear wheel to dig in. I am over my testerone days and focus more on enjoying my riding. I just don't do the 10% chance taking anymore you are talking about.

I may not do the double jumps anymore but I also have no reservations taking my 84XL and High Point Alpinestars boots in a rock garden either. But........ my last ticket was for not wearing wearing my seatbelt, so......

If I wanted to be safe I would not get on a motorcycle, but I certainly wouldn't jump out of a perfectly well running airplane.

:lol:

I was kidding about "Luddite"... I looked that up on google-thesaurus... google is kind of like a dictionary, but with a computer :ph34r:

ok- since we're on a different topic now... at the Dash, as we are talking about coffee, he mentions that he has the old percolating coffee maker, not one of the new ones... "really, Don? I kind of expected you to have a Starbuck's grinder/espresso machine at home with 20 flavors of syrup"

and: Don says, "My motorhome is from the 80's..." Don... EVERYTHING YOU OWN IS FROM THE 80'S! But we all agreed that the stuff works great, and he maintains it so it all works like new... and i slept in an enclosed trailer with a puddle of oil from a 2005 Suzuki on the floor, so i got nothin' else to say about that...

Andy

I agree here. I have been riding a long time and have not had a problem with all leather. I just started wearing a roost guard 2 years ago because it evens out the weight of my camel pak. Get out and ride and you will see what you will need. My order of biz is helmet, boots and gloves then add as you go. There is a bunch of great used deals on Craigslist for boots and pants. I have been running into first turns jammed with bikes with these and no problems.

DSCN4802.jpg

Andy

New boots will never last as long as older boots, thanks to organizations like ASPCA, cows used to not be so "thin skinned" like they are today. You just mention the word boots around today's "spoiled rotten" cows and they lawyer up.

Don, I am just wondering if those boots pulled your family's belongings out here via the Oregon trail before they were made into your boots.

1wagon_trail.jpg

that's Don driving the wagon

Andy

1wagon_trail.jpg

I am from New Mexico, it was the Santa Fe Trail. :ph34r:

No girley boots for Husky riders - "Real boot for real men".

Andy

I agree here. I have been riding a long time and have not had a problem with all leather. I just started wearing a roost guard 2 years ago because it evens out the weight of my camel pak. Get out and ride and you will see what you will need. My order of biz is helmet, boots and gloves then add as you go. There is a bunch of great used deals on Craigslist for boots and pants. I have been running into first turns jammed with bikes with these and no problems.

DSCN4802.jpg

Finally----an ally. I love those boots. I also noticed an assortment of vintage bikes in the background.

My kind of man.

Since this is Don bashing day I will fess up to owning the following:

1984 Toyota Supra

1985 Nissan 300zx

1985 Ford F250 Diesel Pickup

1990 Toyota Pickup

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1987 Jamee Motorhome

2007 Toyota Tacoma (doesn't count cuz I use it to commute to Lake Powell)

Motoprcycles

1978 Honda XL250s

1979 Honda XL250s

1981 Honda XL185s

1982 Honda XL250R

1984 Honda XL250r

1984 Honda XL350r

1985 Honda XL350r

1986 Honda XL250r (2)

1987 Honda XL600r

1978 Husky 390OR

1079 Husky 250OR

1979 Husky 390CR

1979 Husky 390WR

1979 Husky 390Automatic

1980 Husky 390WR

1984 Yamaha XT250

1986 Yamaha Virago XV700

3 Boats

3 Jet Skis

Everything runs and get their turn for rides. They all conger up great memories.

I was kidding about "Luddite"... I looked that up on google-thesaurus... google is kind of like a dictionary, but with a computer :ph34r:

ok- since we're on a different topic now... at the Dash, as we are talking about coffee, he mentions that he has the old percolating coffee maker, not one of the new ones... "really, Don? I kind of expected you to have a Starbuck's grinder/espresso machine at home with 20 flavors of syrup"

and: Don says, "My motorhome is from the 80's..." Don... EVERYTHING YOU OWN IS FROM THE 80'S! But we all agreed that the stuff works great, and he maintains it so it all works like new... and i slept in an enclosed trailer with a puddle of oil from a 2005 Suzuki on the floor, so i got nothin' else to say about that...

I can say with great pride that I have never even been inside a Starbucks. I always brew my own great coffee in my perculator at home and bring my full Univac thermos to school with me everyday so I don't have to drink the commercial stuff they sell in the College cafeteria. (Sorry Bob, I assume you sell coffee at Sea World)

All I can say is that I was in my 40's in the 80's, my prime, that is my generation's memories of bikes and cars. I know the bikes and cars from that time and I can still work on them myself. I don't use shops. I do my own work and enjoy doing it. There is an elegance and beauty in simplicity of design. Tear down a Vintage Husky engine sometime and you will see why they are admired by weirdos like myself.

Respectfully out of touch with modern mayhem,

Don

Bikeslut, as soon as I've got all the basic components (armor, boots, knee/shin pads, googles) I'll be chompin' at the bit to head out! Just trying to play the gam safely from the start so the game isn't severely delayed by healing time that could have been prevented.

One more time, thanks for the continued support. I promise this thread won't last forever :ph34r: