Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Hi again

So it looks like it's gonna come to be that I'm trading my 2005 R6 for a 2006 Honda XR650L. I've decided that I can have more fun, for lots less money, on a bike that can go anywhere than on a bike that's limited to an asphalt racetrack in order to really let her soar. Any advice for a newbie, recommendations, good places to learn to control the dirt before i jump into a real ride, anything at all...speak up :)

Stay upright as often as possible. I am still trying.

Basic technique

Move your weight forward for dirt riding. Let your rear tire slide freely. Ignore it. Let your sliding rear tire help turn your bike.

Let your suspension do the work. Run straight over and through obstacle.

Move your weight onto the rear tire for sand.

Float front tire above sand by adding speed.

Don't try to ride them the same. Completely different.

Advanced technique

While standing, steer bike with your weight shifting over your foot pegs and pressure only. Quicker response turn.

Beezzz

Time in the saddle is key. On that bike your best to start on fireroads and two track stuff until you get a good feel for the weight. Like Beez said, experiment with moving your weight around, weighting the pegs and weighting the front or rear suspension. It makes a huge differance in the dirt.

Jump in on some rides that get posted. Everybody on here is all about helping and will be careful not to get you in over your head and if by chance they screw up and do get you in trouble, they'll get you out of there one way or another!

an xrl is good all around bike and as much fun on the street as you can have "semi-legally" a bit heavy for your first foray into dirt but manageable. Get good DP tires with knobs for the dirt. Post a ride and I'll join you on my xrl... As the others have said; start easy and count on this club to help you every step of the way.

Try to ride with bikes of a similar size.

Follow their lines.

Stay with the fire roads, jeep trails first.

Put in the hours in the saddle.

Shift your weight forward and backward and experiment with it.

Dirt riding is all about sliding traction on front and rear wheels.

Relax, once balanced, enjoy.

Your bike is a bit heavy for a learner. I am happy to hear you are comfortable with a big, fast street bike. That will be a great advantage.

Any advice for a newbie, recommendations, good places to learn to control the dirt before i jump into a real ride, anything at all...speak up :ph34r:

1.) jump into a "real" ride - carry a spare tube, an inflator, tire irons, - make sure your L has a skid plate, the tires are inflated, and that you are packing enough water, let someone know where you are going and check in when you return - feel free to PM me.

2.) Don't try to keep up with Bike Slut unless you ride your 650L like This

3.)Call KTMrad and try to get a spot for the Desert Dash this weekend

4.)Come up with a cool screen name so that people have to remember two names.

5.)Date Brunettes or redheads. (or maybe blondes)

6.)Keep the L even after you buy a DRZ, KTM, Husky or other bike. She will always be a faithful workhorse.

7.)Talk some smack online but Ride. If you find yourself talking more smack than riding then - stop posting.

8.) Pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch when you encounter horses or hikers - Share the trail (Like Schwinn)

9.) advrider.com

10.) don't try to find the "perfect tire" for on and off road use. Get a spare set or rims and tires or a more dirt oriented bike.

11.) Eleven? How appropriate - the link is broke - just press search!

Newly back to the dirt myself...most has been said already. I'll repeat two topics.

Ride YOUR ride. It's easy to get in "group think/ride" and have your MPH pass your brain (for me).

I haven't met anyone on this site that isn't willing to help with anything that comes up, ride your ride with you, or rescue you if necessary. Great folks!

My TW200 loan just got cancelled, so if you don't have a bike yet, but want to ride during the dash weekend, PM me, and I'll spoon some knobs on the 650... then you can drop mine first, and see if you really want to pick it up :lol: (It is not KLR heavy, but it is heavy... try not to fall over) I was playing around in my front yard the other day (in dress pants and dress shoes :ph34r: ) and hit a hole, and the bike started to tip... it didn't stop tipping like my DRZ does... just kept going... it's heavy...

Paul- link didn't work, but I saw the target... yep... that's me... just like Ivan Tedesco! :blink: actually it best illustrates what most of us say all the time:

it's not the bike...

It's official, I'm now the owner of a nearly new 2006 XR650L. Thing has 1088 miles on it, including my test ride. One ding on the fuel tank from being tipped over in a garage it lived in, which isn't a concern cuz I will end up getting a bigger tank anyway. It already has a belly pan on it and already has had the smog equipment pulled off. Feels really wierd compared to the R6 I just got rid of, totally different world.

Sooooo, the next question is, of course, who's willing to help an absolute newbie to the dual sport world learn to ride? :rolleyes: I have zero experience on the non-asphalt, so I guess it's best if i first find a fairly open area of dirt to just putt around and get the feel of it. Any new feedback?

if you're free this weekend track down bikeslut at butterfield rv... I'll be tooling around with my son, so it'll be newb friendly for sure. Or call me Friday at 619-778-4667