paulmbowers

Earth tries to swallow my buddy.

Slow poke 450cc friends, fancy radios and GPS. :) :) :lol:

All you really needed was the 8$ map to tell you san sebastion marsh is off limits to motor vehicles for a reason. :blink:

I know you're just bustin' his chops, cuz that's how we roll, but: I've ridden with both those guys... They are good riders. The fancy radios averted a possible disaster... The gps wouldve been the difference between life or death possibly...

Of course a map is good, too...

ya radios and gps can get you out of a crappy situation, but a cheap map could have avoided the area in the first place.

just so I am completely clear... Brian and John are good riders

I'm sure they are all great riders. Following the "fast" guy into the marsh like lemmings was comical to me. Buy a map!

maps schmaps... Of course you made a mistake... We all make mistakes... Your real problem is bragging about it :blink:

You guys did ok... Wish I was there to watch... Or help... Or ask for help

Map wouldn't have helped at all. It doesn't say, "Oh look really nasty muddy stuff up ahead".

Glad to hear you made it out without having to walk, that would have SUCKED.

The more i read about members here and the adventures they have, the more I think i need another

bike. One lighter, and faster and quickier. I believe my KLR would have been sucked down forever.

I,m going to look at another bike.

I think your bike is on the long range adventure side, and a lot of rides we do lean towards more dirt bike with plate... That being said, pyro rides his everywhere, and had a very similar situation... All by himself... He survived

Just always carry a map.

If you see a big puddle, lay down your waterproof map across the top and ride briskly and directly across.

Great write-up and pics - almost a new Husky monument. This is when u hope the batteries in your SPOT are fresh.

A new wrinkle to this. My buddy's bike needs a new clutch. Apparently is was damaged/burned/toasted while trying to extricate from the muck. I'm finding that hard to believe- we didn't really push it that hard, but the bike's only a year old and not that many rides.

$700 ;)

No, he rode away, but was having clutch trouble. We figured it needed to be bled or something, and the bike sat for a while. He just got it going this week, and took it over to MotoWorld where he got the bad news.

clutch plates for that bike (same bike as mine) are only 16$ ;)

No doubt... and a 1 hour job at the most!!!

But to be fair - that's $16 per plate - the bike runs 7....

but $700 seems pretty steep...

No doubt... and a 1 hour job at the most!!!

can we assume that includes a new basket, springs, friction AND steel plates? Still seems steep...Paul; have him hit his KTM with an ugly stick, put a milk crate trunk on it, ans a sheepskin seat cover, then go to the KLR tech day... With fish tacos too!!

No offense to KLR owners the world over

I don't know the details, but yes, it included hardware other than friction plates, also a new master cylinder (long story) and labor. Seemed steep to me, too.

Try taking it to All American in Ramona

That was my advice to him as well.

Awesome!

I guess I am not the first one to say that really SUCKS!