jed

New Boots

I bought my first pair of MX boots this weekend (Alpine Stars Tech 4). I always rode with hiking boots and did fine. Now I have these beastly boots on my legs and I cant feel anything. Its like wearing a condom!! Does it get better? Shifting is wierd. How do you break yours in in minimal time? Right now I am just walking around the house.

Take your time.

....and buy different condoms.

Ha Ha Ha ! Thats a good one :lol: .

it gets better after they break in... Uh... The boots

The booty?

Some boots will never soften up as much as you want. I actually prefer an older cheaper pair of O'Neals to my stiffer Tech 6's when I want "more feel", but there are times I know it is more prudent to wear the heavier duty boots.

Either way... any appropriate boot can save a lot of grief. This wasn't even a crash and I could've peeled off a toe or two and broken some bones I can't even pronounce correctly:

post-101-1233635085_thumb.jpg

I bought my first pair of MX boots this weekend (Alpine Stars Tech 4). I always rode with hiking boots and did fine. Now I have these beastly boots on my legs and I cant feel anything. Its like wearing a condom!! Does it get better? Shifting is wierd. How do you break yours in in minimal time? Right now I am just walking around the house.

I know I am obsolete to most people but I have several pair of High Point and Malcolm Smith leather riding boots made by Alpinestars in the 70's which I have been wearing for over 30 years. They are very comfortable and flexible and I wouldn't trade them for any modern boots. I have never had a foot or leg injury with them. However, I think there are several companies making real leather boots that might be worth looking into. Alpinstars made a retro model of the boots I have some years back with modern buckles. They are about $250 but worth it. I am with you on the modern synthetic boots, too stiff for me. I doubt if you will find very many on this site agreeing with me but they will not likely change my mind any time soon.

Don

Some boots will never soften up as much as you want. I actually prefer an older cheaper pair of O'Neals to my stiffer Tech 6's when I want "more feel", but there are times I know it is more prudent to wear the heavier duty boots.

Either way... any appropriate boot can save a lot of grief. This wasn't even a crash and I could've peeled off a toe or two and broken some bones I can't even pronounce correctly:

Yeah I saw that pic from your corral canyon ride. As usual I did that ride from PV by myself again and I smacked my hiking boot on a rock. So for my b-day I bought some boots.

You get used to them. You'll get used to actually moving your foot around on the peg (as you should) - riding on the balls of your feet to keep them up and clear of terrain, then shifting your right foot forward to step on the brake. As far a shifting, I've found that if you have a hard time up-shifting, it's usually because you're sitting too far back on the seat and your toes are "angled" up too far. Slide up on the front of the seat where you can control the bike and the boot will naturally go where it's supposed to.

It's all a compromise. You deal with a restricted movement range so that, in a crash, that restricted movement range will save you from damaging your body...

Tech 4's are quite flexible (if I recall correctly, they're billed as dual-sport boots and can be bought with some good tread) - I was wearing a pair of Tech 4's when I dropped the bike on my leg and ruptured my Achilles tendon. That was the day I decided that I'd deal with some restricted movement to protect myself.

Yeah I saw that pic from your corral canyon ride. As usual I did that ride from PV by myself again and I smacked my hiking boot on a rock. So for my b-day I bought some boots.

My leather boots have the same metal toe protectors and still comfortable. Steel toe protectors are not a modern invention.

Don

Thanx for the good advice! Maybe I will put them in the oven and warm them up with some mink oil! But like you said there are some restrictions. Now, lets say my bike breaks down and I have to hike out cause I cant fix it, Im not hiking out in these boots, should I carry xtra shoes? Do any of you?

Thanx for the good advice! Maybe I will put them in the oven and warm them up with some mink oil! But like you said there are some restrictions. Now, lets say my bike breaks down and I have to hike out cause I cant fix it, Im not hiking out in these boots, should I carry xtra shoes? Do any of you?

Like I said... The Tech 4's are VERY loose boots.. You'd have no trouble hiking out in them (other than maybe a few blisters if they're new). Just throw them on and ride. While boots loosen up, I think the biggest advantage is just getting used to them. Oh... and make sure you get a good pair of socks... Padded motocross socks will save your feet from some soreness...

I don't usually carry spare boots... just lots of spare parts for the bike!!!!! :lol:;) ;)

I do a lot of trail riding in Lake Powell where I regularly stop and do some hiking and rock climbing. Nothing wrong with wearing hiking boots under these conditions. I save the heavy boots for the Balls To The Wall riding.

Don

My modern MX boots feel like a cast was bonded onto my foot/leg, but when I use my bike as a blanket, which is often, it's warm and snugly. There is so much protection in the boot it has a very stiff shell feeling. It feels like armor. You will appreciate it when the time is right.

Beezzz

My modern MX boots feel like a cast was bonded onto my foot/leg, but when I use my bike as a blanket, which is often, it's warm and snugly. There is so much protection in the boot it has a very stiff shell feeling. It feels like armor. You will appreciate it when the time is right.

Beezzz

The cure - don't fall down so much.

Don

Yeah I like to hike around to. Petal to the metal sounds like the right time to wear the mx boots. But, its always in the small silly situations where I get hurt. Like falling at 5 to 10 miles per hour trying to do donuts. Not a knarly up or downhill. Its always during the wrong time.

Yeah I like to hike around to. Petal to the metal sounds like the right time to wear the mx boots. But, its always in the small silly situations where I get hurt. Like falling at 5 to 10 miles per hour trying to do donuts. Not a knarly up or downhill. Its always during the wrong time.

My last spill was in January on the XPlane ride. I was stopped on a steep slope and fell over from a standstill taking another bike with me. :lol:

Klutzy move on my part. Nobody got hurt though.

Don

I wore a set of Thor boots for years that I really liked, but they had gotten so buttery soft that I could probably hike all day in them without a problem. So I decided to get with the program and bought a nice pair of Alpinestar Tech 3 boots. At about that time I got a Husky and hated the bike because I had such a hard time riding it. Well, turns out the Tech 3s were so stiff I was totally disconnected from the bike. I was seriously considering selling the bike when the boots were the problem.

I gave up on the Tech 3s. I wasn't willing to not enjoy the next few dozen rides because I had freaky clompers on my feet. Try to break them in if you can tolerate it -- clearly they offer great protection -- but if you give up on them I can totally empathize. I just couldn't hang.

I wore a set of Thor boots for years that I really liked, but they had gotten so buttery soft that I could probably hike all day in them without a problem. So I decided to get with the program and bought a nice pair of Alpinestar Tech 3 boots. At about that time I got a Husky and hated the bike because I had such a hard time riding it. Well, turns out the Tech 3s were so stiff I was totally disconnected from the bike. I was seriously considering selling the bike when the boots were the problem.

I gave up on the Tech 3s. I wasn't willing to not enjoy the next few dozen rides because I had freaky clompers on my feet. Try to break them in if you can tolerate it -- clearly they offer great protection -- but if you give up on them I can totally empathize. I just couldn't hang.

I can understand that :lol:

every time I get a new pair of boots, they feel stiff... They always loosen up... They never feel like hiking boots... Hiking boots will not protect you like moto boots... I ride like a spas, and my feet bounce off stuff often...i hope that if I have to hike a long ways I can just tough it out...

On the LAB2V I was wearing some mediocre boots and paid for it DEARLY with a broken foot, dislocated big toe, and a partially torn Achilles tendon. I now have a pair of Tech 3's and I'll suffer the break in to be better protected in the future.

Jed,

Take a look at the toe clearance on your shifter. If you're used to hiking boots, the new boots are going to feel clumsy but may not have the same toe height. A 1 or 2 spline adjustment up might be the answer.

Once you get used to your boots, you won't want to hit the trails without them. I'd almost (the key word here being ALMOST) rather not wear a helmet than a good set of boots, because I hit my feet dozens of times on every ride, but seldom land on my head, although I am always thankful that I have a quality helmet on my noggin when I do. :lol:

Once you get used to your boots, you won't want to hit the trails without them. I'd almost (the key word here being ALMOST) rather not wear a helmet than a good set of boots, because I hit my feet dozens of times on every ride, but seldom land on my head, although I am always thankful that I have a quality helmet on my noggin when I do. ;)

It could be the Existentialist in me but one of the reasons I ride my motorcycle more than my Jeep is the verve and intensity that comes with the risks. I like being outside and exposed. If I wanted to be safe all the time I would ride around in a tank. I definitely don't like wearing a tank. :lol:

Don