Spaugh

compression tester

does anyone have a compression tester I can use?

I have one, but I guess I'm pretty far away from you. If nobody else has one closer, though.....

I have one, but I guess I'm pretty far away from you. If nobody else has one closer, though.....

thanks mimi,

this is briana's carb. Notice the broken piece of throttle valve on the bottom right. that broke off and went into her newly redone top end :lol: Bike seems like its fine except for the carb, but I'm debating pulling the head to search for metal bits in the chamber and or other damage to the valves. I would like to start with a compression test though. Pulling heads off bikes is a pain in the rear.

3160001093_58cef0ec9d_b.jpg

There is probably nothing left loose in the combustion chamber, but there could be some valve or seat damage. A compression test is just the thing to check. I know that it doesn't take a very large piece of metal at all to hang up a valve and completely stop the engine from turning over. A valve that gets hung up will be a bent valve. But the motor in Briana's bike kept running, so the metal probably got destroyed and the bits slipped right past the exhaust valves.

ya, we were in the desert and we came to stop and briana said I can't slow down. The engine wouldn't ide because of the hole in the carb. So I rode the bike with the throttle feeling like it was half open 10 miles back to the truck. Bike is still running OK.

P1010092.gif

Pretty sure I have the push and hold kind around the garage. Don't have a screw in type. Let me know and I'll search for it.

Give me a call as I'm off to run errands.

# in contacts.

Pretty sure I have the push and hold kind around the garage. Don't have a screw in type. Let me know and I'll search for it.

# in contacts.

where do you live?

# in contacts.

where do you live?

rancho san diego

Just had a quick look and can't find mine. There is the old trick of welding a schader valve in a hollowed-out sparkplug and making leakdown tests.

I assume you've inspected the intake/airbox in the vain and distant hope that the piece is there....

Bummer.

p

Fakeynamey, you have an 02 or 03? 02 has the old FCR carb and apparently this is a known issue for that carb. The part that broke has an updated part number now.

Shocknawe, fakeynamey, crawdadracing, you guys with the 02 KTMs should pull your carb and have a look at this piece and check if its cracked. I think the old style FCR carb came on some DRZ and maybe other jap bikes as well. You don't want this to happen to you. I was lucky and the bike kept running.

Update yours if you have cracks

GASKET PLATE THROTTLE VALVE 04

superceeded by

59031035153 $125.93

I got a bad case on iottas. Iottas are when you are doing a fairly simple job, but:

"well, if I'm gonna do that, iotta..."

In this case, if it were me, I'd take the carb from Brad's bike, and put it on Brianna's. Then take Brianna's and have it bored to a 41mm by cut7 from KTM talk.

I figure this way she has the reliable, tested carb. ; )

Oh, well, yes, mine would be the faster 41mm racer carb....but that's just an afterthought.

p

I thought iotta was something else as in "I don't care one iotta about what u-aughta." :lol: Okay maybe it's only got one "T" in it. :lol:

I got a bad case on iottas. Iottas are when you are doing a fairly simple job, but:

"well, if I'm gonna do that, iotta..."

In this case, if it were me, I'd take the carb from Brad's bike, and put it on Brianna's. Then take Brianna's and have it bored to a 41mm by cut7 from KTM talk.

I figure this way she has the reliable, tested carb. ; )

Oh, well, yes, mine would be the faster 41mm racer carb....but that's just an afterthought.

p

Iotta work on my riding skills instead of my carb though. I only weigh 170lbs. I think I'm covered in the power department for now. I need to be able to follow huskypilot up the big hills. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Give me a call on Saturday I'll see if I can find mine. It's either in my garage or at my shop.

I talked to Brad on el telefono. My ex has a compression tester so I was gonna grab it from him tomorrow and drop it off at Brad's house.

Brad, I don't know how the auto decomp works on a KTM, but on a husky it holds an exaust valve open slightly until the rpm gets higher than the starter can spin the crank. This gives you a false lower compression reading. If you are not sure, you could check KTMtalk or give all american a call. Good luck. I have the screw in type if you need to borrow it. If you don't get it done this weekend, I could UPS it to you on Monday. B) Ken

Don't forget the AutoZone loan-a-tool program when you need some specialty tools, it's free to use their tools. I don't see a compression tester on the webiste but some stores have different items. I've used their service several times for both car and motorcycle maintenance.

http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/loan...loan_a_tool.htm

if you need one still i have a moto one im in el cajon will put it in my truck

thanks all for the replies, good to know so many people are willing to help out. I got zinas comp tester and leak down tester and the bike is good to go. You are right ken, ktm auto decompressor is working while kicking, not while using the magic button, so I got two different readings. Compression 110 and 160. 115 is ideal for ktm while kicking. Hers is OK. valves are sucked into head a bit since its on a new valve seat.