KTMrad

Barley Therapy, Ridin' and How 'Bout Them Chargers

Well, Saturday did some more local riding around town on the XR, and the Airheads BMW Club had a monthly "Barley Therapy" gathering at the infamous Toronado Bar in North Park, on 30th just south of El Cajon Blvd. Here, one can find at least 50 different, fine brews on tap, plus over 100 different bottled beers (many of them microbrews from the U.S.) plus around the world. It was a fine excuse to hook up with people I hadn't seen in awhile, as well as some new Airhead faces. I went with my buddy Ron "Spiceman" on his R1200GS, and my friend/neighbor "Skip" on his 2009 Harley Bagger.......

444647237_NxAwD-M.jpg

444647292_AWQ26-M.jpg

444647348_44akN-M.jpg

444647492_DoSJn-M.jpg

Needless to say, many of them I've known for awhile asked, "So what made you decide to get the Harley?" As they already knew, I've been known to do things that are a little non-mainstream.....

444647936_QcoLP-M.jpg

This was kinda like my new HD-XR, but not really ;)

444647790_bfgXf-M.jpg

444647639_ocoKV-M.jpg

Left to Right....my good friends Ron "Spiceman", Jan #1 Airhead (he started the Airheads BMW club years ago in SD, now it's over 6000 members worldwide), and my neighbor "Skip"

444648092_rQEKo-M.jpg

Pix inside the Toronado......

444648735_q8ecb-M.jpg

444648644_YXkAW-M.jpg

444648226_2TXBa-M.jpg

444648539_frThM-M.jpg

Can you say "MMMMMMMMMMM" ??

444648390_The7V-M.jpg

They also have about 10 different types of sausages there, great sandwiches and english style cucumber salad....mmmmm.

After, we headed to Pacific Beach to see a couple more friends, then on to Ocean Beach to Newport, where Skip introduced me to a bunch of people he knows at Cheswick's.......we stopped by the Pier for a few sunset photos........

444649188_zGYK7-M.jpg

444648910_Fkap7-M.jpg

444649014_zXKwX-M.jpg

Stay Tuned for more riding on DAY 2 Sunday coming up................

Sunday Ride 8:30am, Brrrrrr......met up in Jamul with some of my Sunday Social Club friends I've been riding with for over 14 years.....

444649341_maSwM-M.jpg

We had rwynant on his Kawi ZRX1200R, Uncle Dave on his DRZ400 Supermoto, Tony D on his Aprilia Tuono, Eric "Erckman" on his BMW RT1200, and your's truly on the new XR1200R.

444649491_ZJK39-M.jpg

We headed out 94 east to breakfast at Potrero. One of the guys in another group of riders came out and his bike was missing......he had left his keys in it and it was gone. His buddies were standing around, and I said "you sure someone's not messin' with you"? He went back inside thinking his bike was stolen, while his buddies looked at me and laughed.......since he left his keys in the bike, they moved it around the backside of the place to hide it.....he came out and they said "these your keys" ?!! Don't leave your keys in the bike...... :)

After a heart attack breakfast, we headed further east to Buckman Springs and Pine Valley. Then Japatul Valley to Lyons Valley store, where we ran into a bunch of other riders, including our friend "Fast Eddie" on his "Big Bird" R1200GS.

444690487_rCpjw-M.jpg

444649674_EyVWS-M.jpg

L to R....me, Ed and Uncle Dave

444650047_rauJU-M.jpg

Ed, who's got an old XLCR1000 Harley - Cafe Racer / Dirt Tracker bike, had to get a quickie ride on my XR1200 to see how it compared to his old one that's been sitting in the garage for years.......

444650214_vSQWz-M.jpg

444650430_y5yFt-M.jpg

Ed came back grinning, but still said...."it's been 20 years and the tranny still shifts the same (clunk, clunk), your bike just has more power and better handling".......my feelings were hurt :D

Ed headed home, then the rest of us headed to Tony D's house since he had DVD's of their recent track day at Laguna Seca in Monterey a few weeks ago.....Tony now puts on track days a few times a year, and a few of the boyz went up for it and he had videos for them.

I realized now I am the brunt of the jokes with my new Harley Davidson.......it used to be the guys with the Beemers, but now I'm going to get it from all sides for years with the HD.....oh well, I should've got a Ducati instead :D:)

From Tony D's, I still wanted to go riding for the afternoon since it was only 1:00pm, so I headed to 8 east to 67 north to Wildcat Canyon, Old Julian Hwy. to 78 east to Santa Ysabel, to Mesa Grande to the Hideout to hang with my HD brethren :P:D

444650947_X7PWB-M.jpg

Saw this funky contraption there.....couldn't figure out what it was until I saw the side cover said "Yamaha".......a V-Four Royal Car custom.......pretty funky.......asked him if it cornered well ? :P;)

444650777_Vvjah-M.jpg

444650605_ow8BS-M.jpg

I'm doing some mods to the HD-XR......one is going to be new handlebars.......so, I'm trying to decide which one of these will help it handle better.........

444651107_fGsFq-M.jpg

444651272_tB8ia-M.jpg

I also think I need to get one of these tassle thingies to hang from the bars........

444651406_LMomk-M.jpg

After a brief visit at the Hideout, I headed Mesa Grande and the same way back. I'm really starting to get the feel of the XR now, the tires are scrubbed in to the edges and I'm not even pushing her real hard yet. Each twisty road makes me like the bike more and more.........I'm pretty damn happy with it !!

On the way home through Ramona, I stopped to see Crawdaddy to show off the XR and say Hi, then on to Ed's house and Shane was there on his Aprilia Falco. Then I headed almost home, but had to turn around and go down to Ocean Beach for some Fish Tacos and watch the Charger's Game to see what they were up to........

Damn, never get tired of these....delicious Mahi Tacos at South Beach

444651546_HUeh7-M.jpg

Go Chargers !!

444651677_Gz3td-M.jpg

Phil the doorman who's been at South Beach on/off for years............

444651819_wX5MD-M.jpg

One more stop at an old hangout "Lucy's" in OB to celebrate the Chargers win.....

444652004_NNJGu-M.jpg

The XR now has 490 miles on her, 240 miles on the ride today.........only 10 more miles and she's fully broken in !!

What a great weekend of riding, especially since it's been on a new toy.

What a full schedule for breaking in your bike. I don't know where you found the energy to do it! ;):):D

Nice bike Randy, thanks for stopping by yesterday to show it off......

You're inspiring me to blow the dust off the Superchicken! ;)

+1 on barley, south beach tacos and the chargers finally showing they can do it... Give 'em a decent cover DB and they'll be good to go. LT is healthy again!!!

Have fun flogging your new ride Randy!

LT is healthy again!!!

Only through 3 quarters :( I hope Mrs. LT can help him work out that groin injury before Saturday :huh:

As the Orange and Blue fans started the mass exodus in the 4th Q, the only thing to say was "Thanks for comin' out, see ya next year!"

Hi-Jack Off

Nice report Rad! Please be careful with the "celebrating"+riding+night+faaaasst new bike. We need you! :lol: