TrophyHunter

Safety Reminder!

We left Superstition yesterday at 4 PM. The remaining crew was leaving for the last ride of the day. 2 experienced quad riders and one "hasn't been riding in years" on a quad. The same guy I'd been coaching (probably not his first draft pick, but hey) all day on his KTM 300 (1st ride ever on the bike).

I kinda had that sinking feeling when we left knowing he may get the "group think" following the other two and over ride his abilities.

You guessed it. Separated shoulder, broken ribs & arms full of abrasions. We got the "he's hurt" phone call as we hit the windy hills heading out of the desert floor. Short version. Sit on the flat staring at Sand Dam. Look over your left shoulder. See the rocky jeep road heading up with the sharp drop off on each side?

Don't ride to the top, stall, slide backwards, panic and hit the back brake. Yup, up and over, past level on top of the rider.

Do wear a chest protector (cracked in half by the handlebars) & other safety gear! It probably saved his life but definately saved him from more serious injuries.

Thanks to the Rhino who got him back to camp, it's passenger who rode the quad back & the rest of the camp for loading all the gear for the return to SD. Laura & I met them on this end and unloaded. Rider admitted the group think & over riding as lesson learned. Darn Lucky!

who wears a vest AND a chest protector? I tend to pick one or the other... Staying around camp and pushing limits? I wear the armor... Long miles? The vest... Its a gamble either way, I guess...

Next bit o' kit? Neck protection...

Update after today's hospital visit. Evidently El Centro missed a few things.

5 broken ribs

Cracked sternum

Broken & Dislocated collarbone (didn't know you could do both)

Fluid on lungs

A hospital bed has been ordered for his house and he's off work for a month. Dr. here said he would have been dead without the chest protector.

If you pray, one for Sean would be nice.

Thx

Sounds yucky and lucky all at once. I hope he makes a full recovery and gets to ride again soon.

I had one- a Leatt. Neck and spinal cord damage are two of my biggest fears. I couldn't tolerate it- reduced my ability to look around too much, and drove me crazy. Ended up staying in the gear bag, so I sold it. Still bugs me, but...

Stay away from HERD mentality. Ride your own ride - has been drilled into my head by much better riders than me. I wear everything; knee braces and knee gards, chest protector, elbow gards, kidney belt, boots helmet and goggles, always. Very very sorry to hear of this incident, been there - done that.

Sit on the flat staring at Sand Dam. Look over your left shoulder. See the rocky jeep road heading up with the sharp drop off on each side?

Don't ride to the top, stall, slide backwards, panic and hit the back brake. Yup, up and over, past level on top of the rider.

Sorry to hear about the accident......

And yep, I know EXACTLY what trail you're talking about.......I've looked at it and thought about riding up it on my bike......wouldn't think about riding it on a quad........why? :blink: .......because that's just one of the problems with Quads.....if you chunk it/stall it before you hit the top of a slippery climb while riding a quad you're in trouble......too much weight combined with 4 "bouncey" corners makes for a bad scenario (bike is lighter, easier to stop/control, and they don't tend to "bounce" on top of their riders)

My worst spill last season was tooling around (yes, I admit it, I was acting like a "tool") on one of my quads out at Truckhaven trying to find a new way to the phone booth......chunked it near the top of a STEEP/DUMB ASS climb which would've been tough on a bike.....then started sliding backwards out of control (despite use of front brake)......too much weight between quad AND rider to stop it.....or even control it....I was lucky that I only got bruised/scraped up and snapped my GPS in half when the bouncing started (needless to say, I DIDN'T save that track :):) )......what's worse, and what makes it qualify as acting like a tool, is I had a friend and Kathy's son with me on quads......I had cautioned them to wait before I made my dumb ass charge, but if I'd made it, and wasn't able to wave them off in time, they might have tried to follow me and hurt themselves.....then I would have REALLY felt like a tool.......

Bill is right, be mindful of "herd mentality" and also be mindful of the herd you're leading.......I'm sure I'll still make questionable decisions on what/where to ride in the future :lol: ...... but hopefully I'll have the wisdom to not make that kind of poor judgement/decision when others are following me......that was a true dumb ass moment for me :):)

I had one- a Leatt. Neck and spinal cord damage are two of my biggest fears. I couldn't tolerate it- reduced my ability to look around too much, and drove me crazy. Ended up staying in the gear bag, so I sold it. Still bugs me, but...

I wondered about this exact thing...

(by that I mean, what drove fake name crazy?)

I wear the 661 pressure suit under the flight vest, that flight vest doesnt really offer any protection, if anything I want protection from all the wrenches and tools I have in it in case one decided to poke me in a crash

I wear the 661 pressure suit under the flight vest, that flight vest doesnt really offer any protection, if anything I want protection from all the wrenches and tools I have in it in case one decided to poke me in a crash

I've thought that exact thing... I don't think the flight vest offers much in the way of protection, but between the vest and the chest protector, it might start to look like I have an upper body... put a jacket on top of it, and i look like a body builder...

I really should wear both... I left the vest at camp yesterday, since I was near the car, just doing jumps... so, of course i get a pinch flat, and have to wobble back to my tube/tools.

Wore just the vest last time at Corral, and spent all day bouncing off rocks...

No one likes to see any motorcyclist hurt, that is why my self and about 800 other coaches in California have chose to teach riders safer riding techniques with the MSF(Motorcycle Safety Foundation). One of the skills taught in the MSF Dirt Bike School is stalling on a hill. The curriculum is proven and over and 4 million students have succesfully taken these classes.

We do have a class coming up. http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3762

What drove fakename crazy was the limited range of motion. Merging onto a freeway, looking over my shoulder was nearly impossible. In large dips- like steep downhills, followed by steep uphills, all I could see was the bottom.

Yes, it's possible I'm such a barniesallie that it was not adjusted properly- but I don't think so. The range of motion limitation is what give the wearer protection.

If I were riding under controlled conditions- a track or something- I'd be more likely to wear it.

Your experience may vary, many wise and excellent riders use these devices with comfort and care. But it just didn't work for me.

p