KTMrad

Q & A with Ben Bostrom

Got this from a friend.........question asked recently at a Ben Bostrom roadrace school.....this applies to all types of riding, and everyday life also :lol:

Q&A w/Ben Bostrom

What have you done to get through the plateaus in your riding? I've reached a point in my club racing where I can't seem to break through to improve upon my best times at various tracks. Can you give any advice on how to push through those barriers and progress? --Doug Cronkhite

Ben Bostrom: One would like to think you are at the limit of your machine and a click here of there on suspension will help. However, we know this is not the case or you would be in line to steal the seat next to Vale or Stoner. We all hit the wall riding while chasing a lap time at some point. The usual way to pull past the barrier is not so cool if you are paying for parts. You must ride out of your comfort zone. Brake just a little deeper than you want and get off the brakes a little earlier too. Just have to take that leap of faith and flick it in. Most of the time it works out and you find a new limit to your machine, and you as well. Always remember though, picking up that last second can cost you sleep at night as you lay there in pain or revel in self accomplishment. Either way, you will now have stepped out of the grey comfortable zone and into what life should be about. Triumph and defeat. Welcome. BB

I "get it" :lol:

but i've had many more sleepless nights from pain, than I have with accomplishment... That makes me sound like a loser :(

But it reinforces something I've always thought... if going fast was easy and safe, everybody would do it... (video games).... so we try to walk the line that skirts the two...

Riding outside your comfort zone is a really good way to get yourself hurt when dual sporting. That might work well on the track though. Don't ride over your own head, and you'll be able to ride next weekend too :lol:

Just my $0.02 of input.

I "get it" :(

but i've had many more sleepless nights from pain, than I have with accomplishment... That makes me sound like a loser :lol:

I'm a little too old to worry about being a winner. I don't bounce back too good any more and prefer to just enjoy the trails. I like to call that a win-win situation for me. :huh:

Unlike the track, the ambulance just doesnt pull up and take you to the hospital when you are in the boonies.

While pushing the limit is a great way to learn new limits, I'm a bit less of a risk taker. After my last broken bone I set up a new riding stategy.....ride slower, ride tomorrow.

Yeah, your statements above made me realize...

This is NOT good advice for someone trying to get better while out dualsporting :D

At the track, at least the ambulance is right there.