Joliet

Free SPOT MESSENGER

You may have seen this before. Wish they had this a year ago when I got mine. :D Ken

FREESPOTMESSENGER.jpg

So normally you buy the unit and get no free time of service while this you pay for service and get the spot unit free like a cel plan

Actually it would be like $158 for the first year and then $108 per year after that.

To get the Spot for free, you have to sign up for the basic service which is $100 and tracking which is $50. But I don't think you would want to miss out on the rescue insurance for only $8 per year.

The second (and every year after) year you could drop the tracking (if you don't use it much) and pay $108 per year for the service and insurance.

Personally being able to let the wife know I am OK when I am running late and there is no cell signal is worth the price alone. I just think it is worth it even if no one ever breaks down and needs a truck or trailer to come get them. If you actually had a member of your group injured and needed a lifeflight in a location where there was no cell service, the $150 a year would be insignificant.

Eight bucks a year for the rescue insurance is like the bargain of the century. I don't know what it would cost if you were injured and had to be flown to a hospital, but this insurance will pay up to $50,000 per incident (twice a year for the really unlucky ones).

That said, I think I would rather have a sat phone and my gps to be able to give coordinates to rescue and be able to have feedback also. Last time I checked the sat phone and air time were very expensive. Ken

I don't know what it would cost if you were injured and had to be flown to a hospital,

Wait... How does he say it?

Paging bikeslut to the white courtesy phone

:P:D:P:D:P:P:D

OK- here we go... :D

To be airlifted LESS than ONE MILE:

Sheriff search and rescue airlift was free...

Laguna Fire Department "hanging around" fee was $120

IF I had been transported to the hospital a) they would take me to the nearest one NOT my plan provider and :D it would've been another couple of hundred

Going back for my bike was $800 and I don't think SPOT covers that...

The biggest advantage the SPOT has (to me): My wife can log on, and find out where I am, and how long I've been there (If I understand the system correctly) That is worth $200 to her, easy, AND may lengthen my leash a bit.

If ALL of us on Phantom Trail II had been farther down, like where I was, AND we had no cell coverage, SPOT would've been a true lifesaver.

Sheriff search and rescue airlift: FREE

Laguna Fire Department fee: $120

Spot Track to keep wide happy: $200

Local helicopter pickup fee: $800

Living to tell about it and have your buddies crack a smile: PRICELESS

*Fixed*

Good idea....then I don't have too :D

Oh I see how it is...

FYI I dropped mine on the blacktop at 35mph and it still works. I'm impressed.

I have mine set up to e-mail my kid and sister AND I have a web page on their server that shows my locations on Google Earth.

Phill

I volunteer to take anyone's with me on a ride when your supposed to be on one :D

Fee negotiable.

Wait, probably bad business venture...you'd all rather actually be on a ride.

I volunteer to take anyone's with me on a ride when your supposed to be on one :D

Fee negotiable.

Wait, probably bad business venture...you'd all rather actually be on a ride.

the worst thing would be to crash, and actually need it... while you were "somebody else"... :D

I think it's time to order me one of them there G-Spot thingies........since I ride alone a lot.

I've had one for about a year now, and for those that ride with me, it's always in my rear fender pack. To call 911, just press and hold the 911 button.

The tracking feature is just OK. On a given day, when it's supposed to ping every 10 mins, I get about 50-60% of the messages. Last week's Pinnacles ride was a perfect example. The unit must have a pretty clear view of open sky to send a successful message. In my fender pack is about the best place I've found for it. My Camelbak was even less successful. I suppose I could gaffer-tape it to the top of my helmet for a little edge.

That typed, I will keep using and subscribing to the service. Keep in mind the $8 insurance does not cover riding buddies, only the subscriber. But 911 will respond no matter what.

fn

(who's bike is in the truck, gear is loaded, ice chest packed, ready to roll. But will stay home today because of a nasty sinus infection. arrgh.)

Dang it, I need to do a better job of checking this board. I wanted to get one of these and here it was free. Poop.

Dang it, I need to do a better job of checking this board. I wanted to get one of these and here it was free. Poop.

Last time I checked there was still a $50 rebate avaliable on them. I think Thumpertalk is (was) having a similar sale, I think it was about $100 for the unit. Ken

Dang, missed it again.....I'm such a slacker. :lol:

Guess I'll try for the $50 rebate.

Dang, missed it again.....I'm such a slacker. :lol:

Guess I'll try for the $50 rebate.

Tell Santa that Big 5 Sporting Goods has the SPOT now for $149 with a mail in $50 rebate.