Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Not a ride report, but I covered 13.1 miles today

Some of you may remember earlier this year that I was asking about training for a marathon while I was deployed. I put in a lot of miles on the treadmill and a few port visits working toward my goal. My training schedule had me set to do a 13 mile run this weekend and since the Silver Strand Half Marathon was going on I decided to sign up for it. I have never run this far before, and this was my first organized run. I figured it would be a good primer to the Carlsbad Marathon, basically to give me an idea how the system works and what to expect.

I talked my friend Mark into giving it a try too, he quit drinking and decided to take up running. Here we are at the start line, before the pain. I'm still rocking the deployment moustache.

041.jpg

We started out together, but Mark was at a bit slower pace than I was and he said to go on ahead. I was feeling great, I was "in the zone" and didn't even listen to my Ipod for quite a while. Having people on the side of the course cheering us on was great and I made sure to thank them. I felt good at the halfway point and was picking up the pace quite a bit. I started out with an 11 minute mile and was closing in on 9:30 at that point.

At the ten mile marker I was about a minute behind a 9 minute mile pace. I was only aiming to finish, but at that point I decided to try to get across the finish line before 2 hours. I wanted to stop and walk so bad, but I kept pushing myself to continue on. The only time I walked was at the water stations, and I only slowed to drink my water and then back to the run.

The 12 mile mark was when I started to really feel it. I knew I had just over a mile left, but it seemed like so far. I just put one foot in front of the other and kept moving. Eventually, the course made a left turn and was headed towards the finish line. I saw my son on the side of the course about a 1/4 mile out, he started running up to tell my wife I was on my way. I think I ruined that plan because as soon as I saw him I started to run faster. I didn't know I had it in me, but the sight of the finish timer and my son just made me start hauling. My wife missed the picture of me going through the timer, but here it is at 2 hours.

043.jpg

Since I crossed the start line about 2 minutes after the official start, my time should be about 1:58, at least that's what my Casio said. The sprint to the finish kind of hurt me. I wasn't feeling too bad until then but I started to get light headed after that and was seeing spots. After a few mintues sitting down I was okay. Here I am proudly displaying my finisher medal.

046.jpg

69 days until I attempt to double this effort. This was a good training run, since I now know that I need to TRAIN more!

I think I saw you this morning at the start area. I had one of the most miserable days of my life today and that includes every day in the Marines. I woke up with an upset stomach and had bad stomach cramps almost immediately after the start. At mile 8 my right calf cramped up and at mile 10 my left one joined it. For me, the heat and wind sucked a$$.

Two weeks ago I did 11 miles at a 9 minute pace with zero problems. Topday . . . ugh. Finished in 2:19 but definitely disappointed in my time. But not at finishing. Sticking it out was awesome.

My left knee is killing me now but otherwise I'm gtg.

69 days until I attempt to double this effort. This was a good training run, since I now know that I need to TRAIN more!

You doing Carlsbad? Me too. Hope it's cooler than today! :lol

I think I saw you this morning at the start area. I had one of the most miserable days of my life today and that includes every day in the Marines. I woke up with an upset stomach and had bad stomach cramps almost immediately after the start. At mile 8 my right calf cramped up and at mile 10 my left one joined it. For me, the heat and wind sucked a$$.

Two weeks ago I did 11 miles at a 9 minute pace with zero problems. Topday . . . ugh. Finished in 2:19 but definitely disappointed in my time. But not at finishing. Sticking it out was awesome.

My left knee is killing me now but otherwise I'm gtg.

You doing Carlsbad? Me too. Hope it's cooler than today! :lol

I'm feeling okay today, my joints are a bit sore but I hopped out of bed without issue. Yeah, I'm signed up for the Carlsbad run. Maybe we can train together? PM sent.

Nice job! I use to be able to run when I was in the Marines, but tile setting has taken a toll on the knees and back. Also the expansion of the bodies frame hasnt helped much either. Glad your shared desire to finish with your family/ kids. Great role model for their future tasks! I am also sure that the aero dynamics of the smooth melon helped with your time!

I'm feeling okay today, my joints are a bit sore but I hopped out of bed without issue. Yeah, I'm signed up for the Carlsbad run. Maybe we can train together? PM sent.

Other than my left knee being a bit sore I feel surprisingly good today.

Sent you a PM back but I'm up for training together.

Maybe we need to start a running/training sub-forum here? :lol: