Crawdaddy

XPlane crash site tour inclusive of Husky Monument

Provided, obviously, that the blamer is reporting facts, not just their version. Then we're into public debate, flaming, etc. I'd prefer to see it handled off-line.

We've all done it, and all had it done TO us. It's part of trail riding, and we, as individuals, are ultimately responsible for ourselves.

My goal in bringing up the idea is to provide gentle reminders to our valued fellow members. And started a separate thread for just this topic.

fn

I agree Ken. People here know the rules. Piratemonkey left me behind at a fork in the trail this past weekend when it was raining and getting dark. It was NOT cool, and made a crappy ending to an otherwise good ride. The rules of etiquette are based on common courtesy and common sense. Some get caught up in racing and lose etiquette.

< threadjack > I did stop at locations where the obvious path may not have been clear. Yes, I was having fun chasing the guys, but I let them go when I thought there might've been a navigation issue. Clearly I missed some fork because you went the wrong way and for that I apologize. I've been on both ends of the stick and I know it's no fun being lost. I will try to be even more vigilent in the future. < /threadjack >

Now back to our regularly scheduled show: I have to pull out of this trip. The S.O. is leaving town on a business trip and the extremely old dog can't be left alone for that long. For anyone else who can't make it this time, let's try this again later on.

Who is going up Friday and coming home Saturday that needs a ride or a co-pilot? What time on Friday would you want to leave? I am up for this ride but I'm not going to take a truck that far with one bike in it, and you shouldn't either so someone help a brother out here!

I have a truck if anyone needs a ride, and I have a 160GB Ipod full of big hair 80's music if you don't like to talk.

Paul; email my wife... Tell her about the trip, and it would be a good Xmas gift...

Done:

Hi, Laurie!

I'm <fakename>, we met at Bar Pink and in your driveway, I ride dirtbikes with your husband, Bob.

You may believe I'm just your ordinary dirtbiker, but in fact I'm an associate pastor of San Diego Adventure in Relationships. We sponsor relationship off-site seminars and experiences designed to enhance marriages and partnerships. While on the surface, it just seems like rag-tag group of belching and snorting middle-aged slightly overweight men, we are actually there for one singular reason: Nourishing our home relationships.

SDAR is organizing a very special retreat January 9-11th in the desert near Barstow. We find these multi-day experiences particularly beneficial to some of our more attention-deficit disordered members. By removing them temporarily from their hustle-bustle demanding home lives, they are able to concentrate on enhancing and embracing their relationship skills.

I'm contacting you today to encourage you to consider enrolling Bob in this encounter group. Group experiences like these make excellent Christmas gifts, reflecting your true generosity and spirit of holiday giving I know you have deep in your heart. Bob would be thrilled to receive this gift, and we at SDAR will be happy to provide a beautiful certificate to present to Bob on Christmas Day. Imagine his face so bright that morning, by the soft glow of the holiday decorations- just like a kid with his first 12 gauge shotgun with a folding stock and 52 round rotating drum magazine.

And we can use the time wisely to introduce Bob to relationship skills that will help your already passionate marriage rise to the next level in intimacy. And we all know Bob can use the help!

SDAR is prepared to offer this relationship symposium to you as a gift for Bob tuition-free. That's right! We believe in the SDAR relationship experience so much that we can build our guest base on word of mouth- just look at these testimonials from the significant others of our previous guests:

<Guest> came home so happy and energetic- it's like he's 20 years younger!

<Guest> was always so cold and distant- now he's warm and caring- thanks SDAR!

<Guest> is now such a tigerrrr. Growl!

<Guest> was always a good friend, but now the "benefits" are amazing.

<Guest> will even put down his Blackberry during those most intimate moments- what a change!

Now, I know Bob. He thinks he's too busy with the kids and home life to even consider taking a few days to help his marriage. He's WAY too dedicated. He believes that unselfishly being home January 9th - 11th is a positive way to support his family, other than the long, tireless hours he spends at a difficult and stressful executive position. And I know it hasn't even crossed his mind that life at home could be better by our simple program on January 9th - 11th.

And that, Laurie, is where you can help. Encourage Bob to become closer to you and your children by giving him this gift- the gift of the San Diego Adventure in Relationships for Christmas.

He'll never forget it.

Helpfully yours in the spirit of Christmas,

<fakename>

Associate Pastor,

San Diego Adventure in Relationships

nice!

really? She keeps referring to things like this as "going fishing" and some movie called "Breakback Mountain" or something

TomH and I will be rock'n Radios...let me know what you guys want to do!

Great. I think we'll use the 146.505 frequency, and I'm researching (that means I'm aking Doug) about repeater freqs as a backup.

I also have a clone cable for anyone wanting to copy the SDAR/DigDug frequency setups. Very handy, takes a couple minutes.

fn

TomH and I will be rock'n Radios...let me know what you guys want to do!

Great. I think we'll use the 146.505 frequency, and I'm researching (that means I'm aking Doug) about repeater freqs as a backup.

I also have a clone cable for anyone wanting to copy the SDAR/DigDug frequency setups. Very handy, takes a couple minutes.

fn

Can we assume that there will be a pre-ride meeting in the Ramada Inn's Bar er, I mean Lounge on Friday evening?

Zenosan

Not a slave to motorcycle fashion.

Pace is important in a group as well. I know I'm WAY too slow to be riding with certain very talented riders in our group. Unless those folks specify that the ride pace will be geared to everybody (as Crawdaddy has for the X-15) I choose a slower group with which to ride. I need to be pretty careful that way- I don't want to be the guy everybody has to wait for. I "ride sweep" a lot.

FYI - most of this loop is unknown to me…….I’m sure I’ve ridden parts of it during various LA-B-V rides but not all of it…….I haven’t ever been to the Plane Crash monuments or Husky Monument……that’s why I set up the ride/adventure :):D !!!……and I haven’t pre-run the course other than the few sections we rode last month during the LA-B-V :huh: …….so I’ll be up front navigating and locating drop-outs, gates, etc. “ in real time ”…….which is another reason I'll be rolling away from Hinkley at 7am (another shameless start time plug :) ) and keeping the pace along the std route at a moderate/comfortable level……not too fast/not too slow……and geared towards EVERY RIDER's enjoyment......safety/enjoyment trumps recklessness.

And hey, you only have to put up with me/my pace for so long......I’ve given some thought to the natural split points to break into two or more groups……off the cuff, I’m thinking the BIG group *may* split apart at the detour around the Petroglyphs (~40 miles into the ride), and then reform at the Husky Monument……..and *will* split/fraction into multiple groups after the Husky Monument (~60 miles into the ride)…..absolutely no need or desire to reform together as a big group after that point …….we really won’t have enough time (daylight) to do a lot of standing around/B.S.ing/waiting to regroup (needlessly).......so once we make that decisive morning split at the Husky Monument (good/last spot for "group" picture ;) ), that will likely spell the end of the ”really big group” ( though we may see each other at the gas stops/lunch :) )……..and that’s fine with me :) …..I’d rather split up into 2 or 3 groups after we get to the Husky Monument so everyone can ride at their preferred pace and enjoy themselves……it will be much more enjoyable for everyone that way……this is a long ride/day......we’d never finish at a reasonable time if we tried to stay together as a group of ~20(?) riders....….that’s just nutty :)

The Ramada doesn't have its own bar but there's a restaurant/bar located adjacent to their parking lot.....it's just a one minute walk from the front door of the Ramada......we can huddle up there Friday night - 9pm (if you're able to make it to Barstow by 9pm).....otherwise we'll see ya gassed up and ready to roll away from Hinkley at 7am Sat morning. :D

REMEMBER TO PRELOAD THE GPS FILE BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR BARSTOW

The Ramada doesn't have it's own bar but there's a restaurant/bar located adjacent to their parking lot.....it's just a few minutes walk from the front door......we can huddle up there Friday night - 9pm

It's about a 7 second walk from the front door of the Ramada, but Chris does walk a lil slow, so maybe 'a few minutes' is accurate :)

The Ramada doesn't have it's own bar but there's a restaurant/bar located adjacent to their parking lot.....it's just a few minutes walk from the front door......we can huddle up there Friday night - 9pm

It's about a 7 second walk from the front door of the Ramada, but Chris does walk a lil slow, so maybe 'a few minutes' is accurate :)

Dang it!!! :) ......I changed it from a few minutes to one minute......but I made the change about one minute too late! :);):huh:

Now that someone has Broken The Ice on this subject are there any Cool weather experts out there with any Hot predictions for this area on Jan 10?

BTW, I can handle cold weather and the occasional rain/snow shower when trapped out in BFE with no other choice than to just "deal with it"", but I'm not too fond of prolonged riding in the rain/snow just for the heck of it :angry: .......especially if I can easily avoid it :o ......so I'll be checking the forecast as game day draws near......given the location, I seriously doubt this game will be called off because of weather, but if we're two days out and they're calling for a "storm" similar to the one that just passed through here.......screw it, I'll just postpone "my" trip for a later date (doesn't mean any other B) knuckleheads couldn't/shouldn't still go.....the GPS file has been posted.......just letting everyone know that "I" wouldn't be interested and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :PB):D )

Now that someone has Broken The Ice on this subject are there any Cool weather experts out there with any Hot predictions for this area on Jan 10?

BTW, I can handle cold weather and the occasional rain/snow shower when trapped out in BFE with no other choice than to just "deal with it"", but I'm not too fond of prolonged riding in the rain/snow just for the heck of it :angry: .......especially if I can easily avoid it :o ......so I'll be checking the forecast as game day draws near......given the location, I seriously doubt this game will be called off because of weather, but if we're two days out and they're calling for a "storm" similar to the one that just passed through here.......screw it, I'll just postpone "my" trip for a later date (doesn't mean any other B) knuckleheads couldn't/shouldn't still go.....the GPS file has been posted.......just letting everyone know that "I" wouldn't be interested and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :PB):D )

+1, I don't get to go riding often enough, not to try to make the trip as enjoyable as possible. Ken

Hey- I'm a BarnieSallie. I'll stay home if it's going to be a tornado or something.

fn

You will not get any complaints from me. I can handle moderate disruption of my creature comforts but see no reason to push it. I am a fair weather rider (euphemism for weather wuss). I spent my teenage years in St Louis with a Cushman motorscooter as my only transportation. Rain, Snow, Ice, below zero temps. Back then no one had even heard of a helmet much less rain gear.

We can make the call the day before after examining the milibars, sat photos etc..

Don

Hey daddy,

I have a problem, my wife says " I should go". Wow no hall pass or anything needed. Please count me in as a almost certain. Of course I'm out if the millibar gods are frowning upon us.

Holly Crap

has any one looked at the GPS file? Craw what do the different colors mean. Im confused!! :angry:

Green == Easy Stuff

Red == Hard Stuff

Purple = Cutoff

Blue = Alternate

Aqua = Gas

holy crap- has anyone looked at the record low that time of year? -4 F

I think gas freezes at -4 :angry:

Green == Easy Stuff

Red == Hard Stuff

Purple = Cutoff

Blue = Alternate

Aqua = Gas

Saturday Tracks in the order you'll encounter them:

01 - Bar-Rainbow Basin (Dark Green)

Takes you from the Ramada in Barstow to the end of Rainbow Canyon - (15 miles)

02 - Rainbow - JoBurg (Dark Green)

Takes you from Rainbow Canyon to HWY 395 just north of Johannesburg - (78.2 miles)

Bypass Petro (Dark Magenta)

This 6.1 mile Bypass along Track 02 skips the ride by the Petroglyphs and cuts off ~2 miles....it also runs past a bail waypoint (Black Canyon Rd.) if anyone feels the need to drop back down to Hinkley. The bypass rejoins Track 02 about ~8 miles short of the Husky Monument.

Hero AM (Red)

5.2 mile stretch along Track 02 between the Husky Monument and the gas cut-off (this track ends at the gas cut off).....it doesn't have any real ugly hills but you will be riding up a rocky/F'd up wash for a ways.....have fun. B) . NOT PART OF STD ROUTE

Gas - JBurg (Cyan)

There's a cut-off for gas about ~70 miles into Track 02 (did I mention you need a safe range of ~90 miles from Barstow? :angry:B) ). This stop for gas is a short 8 mile track that takes you over to the gas station in Johannesburg and then runs you back out to Track 02 via Trona Rd.....

03 - 395-Burro (Dark Green)

Takes you from 395 to the Burro Schmidt Tunnel - (18.1 miles)

03 Option (Dark Red)

12.1 mile variant/option along Track 03.....adds another ~7 miles to the journey along Track 03 by swinging north into the hills before dropping back down to Track 03. NOT PART OF STD ROUTE.

04 Schmidt-Rand (Dark Green)

Takes you from the Burro Schmidt Tunnel through Randsburg (lunch) and ends at the gas station in Johannesburg where some folks will need to top off before the journey back to Hinkley/Barstow. - (17.9 miles)

Garlock Option (Dark Blue)

Optional track that leaves Track 04 and swings through Garlock on the way over to Randsburg - (7.4 miles). NOT PART OF STD ROUTE.

05 JBurg-Barstow (Dark Green)

The home stretch from Johannesburg to Barstow - (very easy 64.6 miles).

Hero PM (Red)

15.1 mile stretch along Track 05....a bit challenging/some loose climbs - have fun :o. NOT PART OF STD ROUTE.

Takes you from the end of Track 05 back to the Ramada - (~2.7 miles)

Sunday:

Take this for a couple miles to run out and connect with Sun 02 ADV Bar-Bkr

Sun 02 ADV Bar-Bkr (Light Green)

Easy way track between Barstow and Baker (a few rocky/sandy stretches) - (79.6 miles)

Sun AM - (Cyan)

Easy way alternate for the morning stretch between Barstow and Baker so we're not riding the same exact thing on the way back to Barstow in the afternoon - (5.1 miles)

Sun 01 Hero (Red)

About 30 miles into Sun 02 there's a cut-off for the standard Sat morning LA-B-V section across Manx Wash and through Afton Canyon to Baker.....deep sand/one deep water crossing...... - (51.6 miles).

Note: I have the tail end of this track running along the Western edge of the Mojave Preserve rather than heading north up to the 15 FWY as they generally do during the LA-B-V ride.......there's a possibility that this track may not go through (sometimes they close the area around Soda Lake in the wet/winter months) .

Sun Alt from Hero - (Dark Red)

If the Soda Lake area in Mojave is closed this will be the cut-off Track to take over to Baker after Afton Canyon. You hang a left turn on Rasor Road and head up towards the 15 FWY. The std Rasor/ZYZZX/15 track is actually pretty fun......washed out/abandoned jeep road alongside a buried gas pipeline....just follow the yellow pipeline signs..... - (18.7 Miles)

Sun PM Baker 2 Powerline

Alternate way back from Baker to reconnect with Track Sun 02 - (25 miles)

Sun 02 ADV Bar-Bkr (Light Green)

Easy way track between Barstow and Baker (a few rocky/sandy stretches) - (~70 miles back to Barstow)

Ok, that’s it…..I’m through toying around with Tracks…..go HERE to upload them from Roger's site

So I'm sitting here this morning/talking to my friend Gil on the phone and he says, "why are you starting out of Hinkley if you're staying in Barstow?" ;):( ..... I really had no good answer other than I was tweaking another file and just ran a track over to Hinkley.......dumb idea......I just re-tooled the first couple of tracks.....elmininated ~20 miles of B.S. over to Hinkley and from Hinkley up to Rainbow Basin......

Ride will start at 7am FROM RAMADA IN BARSTOW

Roger will be revising his Streglicious site to host the revised Garmin file......

Well, isn't that just a big PITA. I have to reload all those tracks. Ya'know, for what we're paying you to organize this ride, you would think....oh. yeah. huh.

;)

Seriously, thanks for doing all this work, and adjustments where appropriate.

fn

Well, isn't that just a big PITA. I have to reload all those tracks. Ya'know, for what we're paying you to organize this ride, you would think....oh. yeah. huh.

;)

Seriously, thanks for doing all this work, and adjustments where appropriate.

fn

You've obviously never been on one of Crawdaddy's rides...

Just wait until the night before and you've got about a 75% chance of the tracks being the latest (there's always 25% chance they'll change after that) :(:P:P:P:P:P:P

Well, isn't that just a big PITA

Trust me, I know all too well that it's a PITA for everyone (including me) that's why I fiddled with the tracks for so long before having Roger post'em.....but Gil's bitch slap on the phone this morning helped me look at the file from a new (correct) perspective......I really think I'm done now :P .....no reallly, I think that'll be the last tweak ;):(:P

I modified my Track description post from earlier this morning to properly reflect the changes to Tracks 01, 02, 05.....I'm sure Roger will post the new file when he's back online.....

These tweaks bought everyone another half hour of sleep and eliminated ~20 miles of boring Track.....makes much more sense to roll right out of the Ramada parking lot with FULL GAS TANKS and be on our way to Rainbow Basin immediately rather than regrouping and/or filling the tanks again in Hinkley....