Crawdaddy

WEST FEST 2009 - Buena Vista, CO.

If I recall, there's an Ocotillo (Truckhaven maybe?) and Superstition trip the weekend of the 15/16 that different members are planning.

Ok, enough rambling/hijacking by Zenosan and Strega about local riding :wacko::lol:

Back on topic..... :lol::lol:

Lake near Taylor Park :lol: ......all kinds of great riding in the area.......gnarly single track to scenic fire roads.......can't wait to get back over there again :tease:

taylorparklake.jpg

Ok, enough rambling/hijacking by Zenosan and Strega about local riding :wacko::lol:

Back on topic..... :lol::lol:

Lake near Taylor Park :lol: ......all kinds of great riding in the area.......gnarly single track to scenic fire roads.......can't wait to get back over there again :tease:

taylorparklake.jpg

That's beautiful Chris, did you steal that off a postcard?

Don

That's beautiful Chris, did you steal that off a postcard?

It was taken right off the ADVRider site/link for West fest 09.......click on the link in the first post in this thread and go to post #6 in that thread.......misc. CO. pictures around the Buena Vista/Taylor Park area......

Wife didn't seem thrilled when I told her I wanted to do this but its still so far out in advance I kind of told her it would be fine. She is worried I would be blowing all my vacation on this and feels that by then she will deserve a trip.

Too bad that always mandates you go and do what they want to do.

She is worried I would be blowing all my vacation on this and feels that by then she will deserve a trip.

Like I said in the opening post.....

Plenty of time to stash some $$/vacation days......and prep your significant other for the "it's all about me" vacation you'll be taking with your internet riding buddies next summer. :):)B)

I will most likely be riding my NEW KTM 640 for this ride.

1141g71333n13k53o78b9c8f1d380bc3f112f.jpg1101f21g53nb3kd3mc8b9b267dd918b2f1b35.jpg

Anyone know where I can get a new front fender and # plate for a 2001 KTM 640? Must be black. Flat black. :D

1141g71333n13k53o78b9c8f1d380bc3f112f.jpg1101f21g53nb3kd3mc8b9b267dd918b2f1b35.jpg

Anyone know where I can get a new front fender and # plate for a 2001 KTM 640? Must be black. Flat black. :D

Most Likely??? :lol::D ......no, you WILL be riding it at LA-B-V and Westfest!!!......Right (ride) On!!! :D:D Smokin' Deal/Bike ;)

Wonder what the first "stegalicious" mod will be?? :D ......I'm thinking he'll shoot in new BLACK front end plastics before he checks out the mechanical condition of the bike! :lol::huh::lol::lol:

Doug, looks like we'll be making a bit of floor space for junior at the LA-B-V motels.....unless someone in Kevin's crew is looking for a roommate? :huh:

Most Likely??? :D:D ......no, you WILL be riding it at LA-B-V and Westfest!!! (maybe even Truckhaven this weekend? :lol: ).....Right (ride) On!!! :D:huh: Smokin' Deal/Bike :D

Wonder what the first "stegalicious" mod will be?? :D ......I'm thinking he'll shoot in new BLACK front end plastics before he checks out the mechanical condition of the bike! :lol::huh::lol:;)

Doug, looks like we'll be making a bit of floor space for junior at the LA-B-V motels.....unless someone in Kevin's crew is looking for a roommate? :lol:

Congratulations on the bike Roger. Plastic can be painted. :) And to keep it on subject that bike looks like it will be great for West Fest. Plenty of power for the pavement and light enough for the dirt, but how big is the tank?

I was hoping to make this ride with you guys but I don’t start to earn vacation time until after six months of employment with the new job. I wonder if I can take leave without pay? Anyway it is much too early to ask those type of questions. “Hey Boss. I’ve been working for you for a whole week now. Can I take a couple of weeks off?” Yeah that should go over real well! B)

If I did go I’m not sure what bike to use. I think the KTM 990 would be too much weight and power for my meager off road skills. The Husky TE610 with a different seat and beefed up kickstand might be a better option. Then again I could try to keep up with Jaynen and ride the KLX300. That is a better fit for my lack of skills. I have a bigger tank I could install. A lighter bike would be easier on the dirt and I can still do about 50 to 55 on the street. The bike will go a little faster but I don’t like to get blown around on the road that way.

Don’t know why I talking about which bike to bring when I don’t even know if I can get time off the job to go. Maybe I’ll just let Jon take one of my bikes to West Fest and live vicariously through him. :(

Most Likely??? :(B) ......no, you WILL be riding it at LA-B-V and Westfest!!!......Right (ride) On!!! B):) Smokin' Deal/Bike ;)

Wonder what the first "stegalicious" mod will be?? :D ......I'm thinking he'll shoot in new BLACK front end plastics before he checks out the mechanical condition of the bike! :):(:lol::lol:

Doug, looks like we'll be making a bit of floor space for junior at the LA-B-V motels.....unless someone in Kevin's crew is looking for a roommate? :D

I see that... someone else to help me upright the "Great Pumpkin" when it goes down!!!!

Good deal Roger!!!

Congratulations on the bike Roger. Plastic can be painted. :) And to keep it on subject that bike looks like it will be great for West Fest. Plenty of power for the pavement and light enough for the dirt, but how big is the tank?

I was hoping to make this ride with you guys but I don’t start to earn vacation time until after six months of employment with the new job. I wonder if I can take leave without pay? Anyway it is much too early to ask those type of questions. “Hey Boss. I’ve been working for you for a whole week now. Can I take a couple of weeks off?” Yeah that should go over real well! B)

If I did go I’m not sure what bike to use. I think the KTM 990 would be too much weight and power for my meager off road skills. The Husky TE610 with a different seat and beefed up kickstand might be a better option. Then again I could try to keep up with Jaynen and ride the KLX300. That is a better fit for my lack of skills. I have a bigger tank I could install. A lighter bike would be easier on the dirt and I can still do about 50 to 55 on the street. The bike will go a little faster but I don’t like to get blown around on the road that way.

Don’t know why I talking about which bike to bring when I don’t even know if I can get time off the job to go. Maybe I’ll just let Jon take one of my bikes to West Fest and live vicariously through him. :(

Hey I am with you, its a long way off better to be an optimist. Do your 6 months calculate how much PTO will accrue by then and question if then. Besides out of the planned full 10 days how many are weekdays? potentially you could only need 5 or 6 total days off right? makes it sound a lot more reasonable that way

I need to stop telling myself how I need another bike. I've talked to other guys who think riding their WRR is easy for 250-300 miles and would take it over their KLRs if they thought it could packmule the same amount of gear anyway even on the highway, so I need to just focus on improving me and the little things on my bike. I am gonna give an airhawk pad a try and see if makes my bony backside feel less abused

New month = New pics

Beginning of Crest Trail which leads up to Monarch Pass:

CresttrailMonarchPass.jpg

View from Top of Monarch Pass:

Cresttrail2.jpg

B):rolleyes::D

New month = New pics

Beginning of Crest Trail which leads up to Monarch Pass:

CresttrailMonarchPass.jpg

View from Top of Monarch Pass:

Cresttrail2.jpg

B):rolleyes::D

Stop. Just stop this. I ...can't resist...... adventure bike calling me....no..must plug ears...must stay married.....be a good dad......

Stop. Just stop this. I ...can't resist...... adventure bike calling me....no..must plug ears...must stay married.....be a good dad......

Don't allow yourself to be bogged down by financial realities/responsibilities.....you'll loose your focus if you start thinking rationally!! :lol: :lol:

Like they say in the Nike ads, "Just do it!" :lol::)

Congratulations on the bike Roger. Plastic can be painted. :lol: And to keep it on subject that bike looks like it will be great for West Fest. Plenty of power for the pavement and light enough for the dirt, but how big is the tank?

I was hoping to make this ride with you guys but I don’t start to earn vacation time until after six months of employment with the new job. I wonder if I can take leave without pay? Anyway it is much too early to ask those type of questions. “Hey Boss. I’ve been working for you for a whole week now. Can I take a couple of weeks off?” Yeah that should go over real well! :lol:

Don’t know why I talking about which bike to bring when I don’t even know if I can get time off the job to go. Maybe I’ll just let Jon take one of my bikes to West Fest and live vicariously through him. :lol:

Hey I am with you, its a long way off better to be an optimist. Do your 6 months calculate how much PTO will accrue by then and question if then. Besides out of the planned full 10 days how many are weekdays? potentially you could only need 5 or 6 total days off right? makes it sound a lot more reasonable that way

I need to stop telling myself how I need another bike. I've talked to other guys who think riding their WRR is easy for 250-300 miles and would take it over their KLRs if they thought it could packmule the same amount of gear anyway even on the highway, so I need to just focus on improving me and the little things on my bike. I am gonna give an airhawk pad a try and see if makes my bony backside feel less abused

Jaynen

Don't let the big bikes intimidate you. I once took my 79 Honda xl250s up Highway 1 all the way to San Francisco and back. Didn't regret it one bit. My riding buddy kept wanting to trade rides with me so I had to take turns enduring his Honda Nighthawk. You will not be riding freeways. Enjoy the light weight and mobility of your bike. It is all about motion and agility. I can't enjoy riding big heavy bikes.

Don

I thnk a picture of Indra would weigh more heavily on this crowd... Hell; our garages ALL look like that (I currently have a dismantled washer spread across my floor)

We DON'T all have Indras :lol: I mean I love my wife and all, and she is cute as a button, but I am so damn charming, you would guess I would land a hot one... YOU on the other hand.... :lol:

:lol:

Congratulations on the bike Roger. Plastic can be painted. :lol: And to keep it on subject that bike looks like it will be great for West Fest. Plenty of power for the pavement and light enough for the dirt, but how big is the tank?

I was hoping to make this ride with you guys but I don’t start to earn vacation time until after six months of employment with the new job. I wonder if I can take leave without pay? Anyway it is much too early to ask those type of questions. “Hey Boss. I’ve been working for you for a whole week now. Can I take a couple of weeks off?” Yeah that should go over real well! :lol:

Don’t know why I talking about which bike to bring when I don’t even know if I can get time off the job to go. Maybe I’ll just let Jon take one of my bikes to West Fest and live vicariously through him. :)

Jaynen

Don't let the big bikes intimidate you. I once took my 79 Honda xl250s up Highway 1 all the way to San Francisco and back. Didn't regret it one bit. My riding buddy kept wanting to trade rides with me so I had to take turns enduring his Honda Nighthawk. You will not be riding freeways. Enjoy the light weight and mobility of your bike. It is all about motion and agility. I can't enjoy riding big heavy bikes.

Don

Really I just want more fuel range but Ill be with the mother ship so it should be fine :lol: I really enjoyed my bike in the desert a couple weeks ago

Really I just want more fuel range but Ill be with the mother ship so it should be fine :) I really enjoyed my bike in the desert a couple weeks ago

You're always welcome to borrow any or all 4 of my MSR 33 oz fuel bottles. :D