Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

BMW 450 Enduro

My first question always is: What does it weigh? It has to weigh less than a TE450 or an EXC450 to be impressive.

I think that whole swingarm bolt/countershaft is pretty damned slick. I'm curious on how long the oil seals will last.

The latest news from Europe on the G450X is that BMW will only sell enough to recoup their expenses then discontinue the line (seems they did this with the 650 too) and concentrate on their newly acquired Husqvarna brand.

It is nice to see BMW moving out of their comfort zone with this new ride. Interesting article.

I wish that they would include the specs when they do one of these test rides, it would be nice to know weight, hp, fuel capacity, oil capacity, ect. I would be a little skeptical of it when his summation is that it is "different". ;) Ken

I wish that they would include the specs when they do one of these test rides, it would be nice to know weight, hp, fuel capacity, oil capacity, ect. I would be a little skeptical of it when his summation is that it is "different". :) Ken

Agreed ;)

I think that whole swingarm bolt/countershaft is pretty damned slick. I'm curious on how long the oil seals will last.

The latest news from Europe on the G450X is that BMW will only sell enough to recoup their expenses then discontinue the line (seems they did this with the 650 too) and concentrate on their newly acquired Husqvarna brand.

How long would it take to change the sprocket?

www.motocrossdigital.com did a full review of the bike and included specs in their write-up. You have to download the entire issue to read it, but it's free and the journalism is tip-top.

Edit: I think it was the July issue.

According to an article in Cycle World, BMW claims that a competent mechanic can do it in 15 minutes.

I wonder how long it would take an incompetent mechanic?? ;):)

According to an article in Cycle World, BMW claims that a competent mechanic can do it in 15 minutes.

I wonder how long it would take an incompetent mechanic?? :);)

Years ago when I worked for a dealership, we would go up to the manufacturer U.S. headquarters (Kawasaki) for technical training on various new models. They had these training films that we would watch and everybody watching always ended up smirking and chuckling because in one instance a film showed a technician tearing down a whole ZX900 motor in about 10 minutes using hand tools. Now, we knew that if it were a used motor, that none of the parts would come apart that fast and clean; all the gaskets would be stuck as though cemented and fasteners all corroded into place, plus the fact that probably none us would ever be taking that motor apart collectively as many times as the guy in the film had already by himself. ;);):)

"The power delivered by the DOHC, fuelinjected engine is smooth, strong and useable, with no nasty surprises. It also comes with two power settings. One that is the “homologated” Euro III setting (the machine comes in this mode as standard), and the other is designed for competition. The difference between the two is 11bhp, which, as you’d expect, is very noticeable. A plug in the wiring loom is all that needs to be reversed to release the engine’s full flavour."

Damn, 11 extra brake ponies. Can anyone tell me where that wiring loom is on my bike? I need an extra 11 HP at the rear wheel :unsure: . It must come really choked up to meet emissions, that or they have made one heck of a 450. 11HP extra on a 450 is huge.

\It must come really choked up to meet emissions,

Yes very choked. Euro III standards are stricter than current CARB reqs.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

After seeing a front wheel, fall off a BMW, I had to quit looking at them. :unsure:

I sat on the 450 at the indy moto gp bmw display,,,, the bike has a good competition enduro feel. it was a no start, display model. it had all the DS stuff on it with very well tucked in signals, forks are the zoke TE standard style, i think they are not the 50s but the 04 size (45,48 i forget) the display bike had the o2 sensor on it with a huge cat exhaust can and was the euro3 model according to the BMW rep. it had metz FIM comp eco tires, it has domino controls. and that strange for all , plug over the fuel fill at the back of the seat. the seat is flat to the steering head,, lots of room to plant fwd for WEC grass track front wheel riding. odd to see a cable clutch on a euro. The fuel pump is external and is very low and at centermass on the lowest tank spot. the Ohlins shock is super long and lays at a steep angle,,like the old yamaha monos and other previous designs of this style. There is a triangle link at the base of the shock that appears to be able to be changed to set the rear up for different stroke/feel requirements. the beauty of the CS/swingarm pivot is that chain tension remains constant and with no effect on the rear suspension ala leitners device atk,,, the chassis is a stressed member with the engine case seemingly vulnerable,,but these have all ready completed the erzberg enduro and many other events including the WEC and ISDE so i guess with the right skid plate its all good..

This bike has been designed with the intention of winning enduro and XC type events and it shows. with newly aquired david knight and Juha salminen for 09 the best enduro xc riders will be in the saddle,,,,,,,,ps imho the huskys we see now, mine included will disappear and be rebadged bmws possibly as early 2010. that is a wag by the way.

PS Kari T (Fin)rode a 480 version in the E3 class at the ISDE so they have overbored the bike as well. FYI for the SOCAL Honda guys this is not a Baja race bike or an MX bike it is a Euro Enduro bike like KTMs Huskys,Betas,Gas Gas, Husabergs, Sherco ,Aprilia and yes HM Hondas, WR Yams, euro WEC team prepared Suz and Kaw did i get them all R PS for the Honda flag wavers HM Honda Zanardo builds some killer enduro CRFs and have some world champs (Ahola) to show for them. PPS i like all bikes and the WEC has largest variety of OEM racing machines in any racing series, something like 12 manufacturers (for race fans of all brands)

UK launch delayed to September '08 & fully fuelled weight is claimed as 120kg.

264# claimed, ready to ride, not dry