Guest stevensyanora

6 day untill sat,

Guest stevensyanora

I really had a great time on the 2 palomar ride. the san diego adventure riders are a class act. ....so car guy- san diegoland, whats the next mission ,should have my tires swapped out by then , Let the good time roll, ...and thanks to everyone on the ride it was one for the books...Steve :P

Hello guys noobe here. Sounds like you guys had a blast at palomar, wish I could have joined but no tires until today .The reason for this post is that I was wondering if anyone out the would like to help a noobe put on some tires on a klr.I am mech enclinded but just never swapped tires before solo and dont have the right tools. Money is a little tight so dont want to take it to a shop unless someone can recomend cheap one.Anyways appreciate anyones responce would like to get out and ride with you guys soon ,maby next sat if i get tires on.

Thanx,Jay-05 klr650

I don't have a machine, but if you want to spoon them on the old fashined way, I can help you out. I'm in Alpine, and Monday and Tuesday nights are good

Hello guys noobe here. Sounds like you guys had a blast at palomar, wish I could have joined but no tires until today .The reason for this post is that I was wondering if anyone out the would like to help a noobe put on some tires on a klr.I am mech enclinded but just never swapped tires before solo and dont have the right tools. Money is a little tight so dont want to take it to a shop unless someone can recomend cheap one.Anyways appreciate anyones responce would like to get out and ride with you guys soon ,maby next sat if i get tires on.

Thanx,Jay-05 klr650

Take 'em on a ride and get two flats. We'll change 'em for ya... :P

Seriously, Chris at Lemon Grove Cycle Supply will change 'em for $15-20 a piece if you take the wheels in, sans bike. I do this for street tires, because it's almost worth that to get a good balance.

On my DRZ, I change them myself. I don't balance them. Knobbies. No rim locks. Don't run them over 75MPH.

I would be glad to help, but I'll defer to someone with a KLR first.

The tools in your kit should get the wheels off, but you should get a 1/2 inch socket that fits your axles so you can use a torque wrench to put them back on.

Tell us how soon you need to change them and what part of town you are in.

Thanx for reply guys , im in rancho bernardo , no real hurry just would like to get out and do some riding next week end, but if someone can help me next week i will wait, ya know. just dont want to rush anyone to help me, when ever anyone has free time

Thanx,jay

It is always good to change your tires the first time using the old fashioned system. So go to the store and buy some 2-3 long spoons from your local motorcycle shop. Also get an inflator and CO2 cartridges. Find a place on your bike to carry these, and a spare tube-usually a 21 tube as this can also be used in ther rear. Then change you tires only using the tools and gear from your bike. Then you will find what you might need for an on the trail repair. Kev

thats damn good advice . . I need to suck it up and do that too, but wait, I just had a set of new 606's installed. They charged me about $30 a piece at Cycle Parts West for mount/balance. Took about an hour. I was in a hurry to get ready for the weekend, so it was worth it to me. It sounds like you have the time, and the more prepared you can be for a trail repair the better.

We can discuss tires in the open forum.

stevensyanora Posted on Sep 24 2006, 03:29 PM

I really had a great time on the 2 palomar ride. the san diego adventure riders are a class act. ....so car guy- san diegoland, whats the next mission ,should have my tires swapped out by then , Let the good time roll, ...and thanks to everyone on the ride it was one for the books...Steve 

How about a little putt in the desert? I wanted to check out a couple of trails, the bottom of Phantom I & II.

32.57.45/116.28.45 Turn south around creek and ridgeline. P-II

and

The top is 32 deg 46.872 min, 116 deg 15.791 min

The bottom is 32 deg 48.555 min, 116 deg 15.315 min

P-I

Some good info from our eye in the sky.

What do ya think? :D

Guest stevensyanora

thats the way I was thinking also,maybe a trip down canyon sin nombre, over to the old stage station site?,then down arreo seco diablo,down the one way hill over to fish creek,and split mtn?...if you havent been down this trail in a while..I dont remember where you turn off the Diablo cyn onto the fish creek trail?? maybe sdland can help us..I was down that way 5 or 6 years ago...anywayyyyyy just a thought....Steve

This will be an exploration ride and anything goes, Riders MUST be prepared! I should have my replacement tube & stuff by then. The XRL is serviced, Fueled and ready to go! :D

stevensyanora Posted on Sep 25 2006, 03:19 PM

thats the way I was thinking also,maybe a trip down canyon sin nombre, over to the old stage station site?,then down arreo seco diablo,down the one way hill over to fish creek,and split mtn?...if you havent been down this trail in a while..I dont remember where you turn off the Diablo cyn onto the fish creek trail?? maybe sdland can help us..I was down that way 5 or 6 years ago...anywayyyyyy just a thought....Steve 

Some of the stuff you are talking about might be on the Desert Dash. I rode some of it last spring. :D:D

It is always good to change your tires the first time using the old fashioned system.  So go to the store and buy some 2-3 long spoons from your local motorcycle shop.  Also get an inflator and CO2 cartridges.  Find a place on your bike to carry these, and a spare tube-usually a 21 tube as this can also be used in ther rear. Then change you tires only using the tools and gear from your bike.  Then you will find what you might need for an on the trail repair.  Kev

I have a Harbor Frieght tire changer if anyone needs to use it. Im in the Granite HIlls area. But heed this advice, it will get you home! :D

Spyder

thanks for the offer spyder and was that hands free u said,ow and sorry about not talking in the open discussion about TIRES didnt relize what room i posted in once again im a noobe lol to this site sorry man. No need to call me out on it

Thanx jay-klr650

if anyone could help u can reach me at j1914m@aol.com

Guest stevensyanora

This will be an exploration ride and anything goes, Riders MUST be prepared! I should have my replacement tube & stuff by then. The XRL is serviced, Fueled and ready to go! :D

sounds good I will check this link wed to see what develops ...desert exsploration at its finest...where do you recommend we gather the crew?..Steve : :D

OK, Sunday 830ish Hwy 79 & Sunrise Hwy

I checked there is only 1 Sunrise & 79.

It will be cooler Sunday and there is a trail that meets Oraflame from 79 I want to check.

There is a trail to Oriflamme that starts just east of the 79 / Sunrise Hwy intersection. I don't know if it is the same one that you are talking about but it is Gated and Locked. It Has a sign on the 79 side that says "Park Closed" -- ever since the Cedar Fire. I have gone up this trail from Oriflamme and there is no closed sign on the Desert side. I have not seen any other trails from Oriflamme that go over the Mountains So I think this is the one you are talking about. It appears that some residents have access thru that gate and I may know someone that will allow us to go thru. I will get back to the group on this.

Guest stevensyanora

oh darn :D . unfortunately I have to travel on sunday for buisness...I will be checking monday for the ride report ,be safe and have a great time ,Ill be ready next weekend.Steve :D

Still riding Sunday. I will wait 15-20min at 79 & S-1 for any takers. :D

John, the entrance to Oriflame is about 100 yards before you reach the Banner Store. There is a gate, not locked. Just open and close it. The locked gate they are talking about is the entrance to the mine, which you will not be going that way. Just stay to the right, and on the main trail, you will end up in a wash. At the end of the wash you will come to a "T", make a left, and you will end up on S1!

I will be off roading in trucks this weekend in the general area, so you might see me!! Look for the Vodoo Blue 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser with a Red 90 Toyota Truck.Kev

No the gate I am talking about is near Harrison Park on Hwy 79. You can take the California Riding and Hiking Trail Down on dirt the backside of the Mountains instead of riding down Banner on Pavement.

KIP Posted on Sep 27 2006, 01:07 PM

No the gate I am talking about is near Harrison Park on Hwy 79. You can take the California Riding and Hiking Trail Down on dirt the backside of the Mountains instead of riding down Banner on Pavement.

I belive we are thinking of the same gate on 79 between Harrison Park & Sunrise.

Kevin Posted on Sep 26 2006, 10:33 PM I will be off roading in trucks this weekend in the general area, so you might see me!! Look for the Vodoo Blue 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser with a Red 90 Toyota Truck.Kev

Kev, Bring a extra beer for me. ;) See ya on the trail :D

John, of course, I wouldn't have it any other way! See ya there?

Carguy

I would like to join your ride on sunday if it's OK. How many miles are you planning and how long ? You plan on meeting at 8:30 just a litte past cuyamaca lake where 79 and sunrise hwy meet.

Ste63 Posted on Sep 28 2006, 11:43 AM

Carguy

I would like to join your ride on sunday if it's OK. How many miles are you planning and how long ? You plan on meeting at 8:30 just a litte past cuyamaca lake where 79 and sunrise hwy meet.

Ste63, Everyone is welcome to ride with us.

I am unsure on the milage as we are exploring. Time wise, we will most likley be all day. You can cut off and ride home at any time during a ride. Riders do all the time. Come out for a few hours or all day. Sometimes I am the one going home early and the rest ride into the night.

Sa ya Sunday at 830 S-1 & 79 ;)