Sign in to follow this  
bikeslut

Roger started this

Roger posted some memories of the last year... some of you posted some of your memories, too, but I wasn't sure if that was his intent...

THAT is exactly what I'm looking for here, as we approach the REAL riding season...

What was your best memory of riding during the past 12 months?

Mine was at Lark, when we went there for the trials competition... the boys were chompin' on the bit, and no sooner had I climbed up in the truck, they were all geared up and ready to ride (they know they're supposed to unload before gearing up)... as soon as they had the bikes, they were buzzing all over the wash, wheelying off the whoops, and jumping ever sand pile they could find...

an hour or so later, as we lost my friend Jeff, my 8 year old looks at him and says "how old are you?"... "you're not very good at this" Jeff and I still crack up about that... wonder where the kid gets his smartass attitude :rolleyes:

I think the most memorable ride of the year was the ride that Boat440 put on. It was a 2 day ride, we spent the night in Lone Pine and rode Sierra Gordo the second day, the first day it seemed like we rode every rocky trail we could find (twice :lol: ). It was a great adventure, I can't wait to do it on the Husky. I hope to do a similar ride this year and include Death Valley in the loop. (hint, hint)

This year I have found it distracting to ride with out the smell of Carguy's slightly over-rich Honda exhaust to lead the way. Come ride with us more often John. :D Ken

Ditto on the Lone Pine and Sierra Gordo, good times and sharing a hotel room with 2 double beds with joilet and his wet socks on the heater grill in lone pine :lol:

Roger posted some memories of the last year... some of you posted some of your memories, too, but I wasn't sure if that was his intent...

I posted my best memory of a ride that Roger had gone on as well. However, it may still be the best memory of the year, with or without Roger. :lol:

Other than that, the most memorable ride would be the one at McCain Valley just last Saturday, because the conditions were so unusual and so nice for this time of year. Another good one was when I rode with you at McCain after it snowed. I remember that it wasn't the best of times for you on the TW200, but I had a great time on my EXC250 and the trails we rode were great.

Also the one ride in the Anza Borrego desert was pretty memorable with Honda Pilot and Roostingu, who was on his first ride with the club on his brand new 530 and he hadn't even moved out here yet.

Oh heck...there ae a lot of really great rides to remember. :D

100_0228.jpg

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Ditto on the Lone Pine and Sierra Gordo, good times and sharing a hotel room with 2 double beds with joilet and his wet socks on the heater grill in lone pine :lol:

[/quote)

#1 Quatro Cassas

#1 Lone Pine

#1 O. W on 40.00$

Craig's list :D

My best ride experience of last year was a totally unexpected trip to Forest Hill near Sacto. I was up there for a wedding. My wife's family has a bunch of dirt riders in it. One Saturday evening over beers I said, "Man, I wish I could bring my dirt bike and gear up here and go for a ride. There are sooo many killer looking trail systems". The cousins and uncles all started looking at each other, talked to their respective wives and it was on. Cousin Dirk got on the cell phone to a buddy of his and I got all gear supplied and a bike (KDX200). Careful what you ask for, it may happen...

We headed up to Forest Hill Sunday morning around 6:00 am. A buddy of my wife's cousin lives up there. We staged at his house and began by riding logging roads to a trailhead at Forest Hill OHV (Trail 6). There we transitioned to crazy switchback singletrack to this long singletrack that went on the side of a mountain a couple thousand feet above a river, if you fell it was going to take comealongs and many feet of rope to get you and the bike out. Hooked up on the Western States trail to some more fern lined twisty singletrack down some more logging roads, then out the way we came. The ride pushed my skills to the limit and maybe a little beyond. It was in September of last year. The confidence it gave me was incredible. I spent a good percentage of the ride talking to myself. "You can do this, relax, keep your speed up, feather the clutch, relax more, stand up, look through the turns, :lol: Man the F up :D, etc." Sometimes Trial By Fire is the best way to get you to the next level.

A defining moment in my riding career...

Last week at McCain was also notable. Probably the best conditions I've ridden in out our way. If I could get that more often, the money I'd save in air filters.....

Where is "McCain" I didnt see it when I search where to ride on TT. I heard it might be closer to me (Oceanside)

I have not gotten to ride enough in the last year due to a lot of stuff and my mother in law getting ill etc. Last weekend was pretty good and also some of it was kind of scary for me but still fun.

The best memory was probably going up to Gorman for the first time with my wife and getting to ride around up there and finding some snow.

l_4f8a0212fa3f6683d340fcd75a7a6d15.jpg

Where is "McCain" I didnt see it when I search where to ride on TT. I heard it might be closer to me (Oceanside)

Sorry for the quick Hijack...

McCain is on the north side of the 8 out past the windmills. It's actually called Lark Canyon OHV but many people refer to it as McCain, it's off of McCain Valley Road. The people that I know that ride there, and have ridden Gorman (which is actually Hungry Valley) call it a mini Gorman. Fun twisty trails. Not very big, but you can ride the heck out of the place for hours on end. I love the place. From Oceanside you're lookin at a little under 2 hours to get there. Plug this into Google Maps:

32.72231,-116.268632

here's a link:

Lark Canyon Staging Area

this is the staging area. There's a big oak tree with a few picnic tables under it and an outhouse type bathroom right next to the big tree.

</Hijack>

Sorry for the quick Hijack...

McCain is on the north side of the 8 out past the windmills. It's actually called Lark Canyon OHV but many people refer to it as McCain, it's off of McCain Valley Road. The people that I know that ride there, and have ridden Gorman (which is actually Hungry Valley) call it a mini Gorman. Fun twisty trails. Not very big, but you can ride the heck out of the place for hours on end. I love the place. From Oceanside you're lookin at a little under 2 hours to get there. Plug this into Google Maps:

32.72231,-116.268632

here's a link:

Lark Canyon Staging Area

this is the staging area. There's a big oak tree with a few picnic tables under it and an outhouse type bathroom right next to the big tree.

</Hijack>

Thanks, probably better if I want to bring the wife and her quad out then. Corral where we were anyway would not be friendly for her as much. And sorry about the hijack

Typical McCain terrain, big rocks and decomposed granite and sandy trails.

100_0800.jpg

And now back to "Memorable rides".... :D

And by the way, this was a pretty nice, laid back ride too. :lol:

Think the most memorable for me was the Bar10 ride earlier this year. An incredible trip, and a great group of people. Also, Crawdaddy towed me 57 miles up to St George Utah after my bike broke down. That made it a very memorable trip.

bar10april25272008105.jpg

Wow I have so many great memories from riding with you folks over the last 12 months. It's hard to pick just one. I think the trip that topped all others for me was when I took up Kevin on his offer to show me the Bradshaw with his crew of Ghost Riders :lol: . We went around the Salton Sea after a huge thunderstorm had dumped on the desert, and then we rode the Bradshaw at night. It was so sweet!

IMG_0501.jpg

Another memorable occasion was when I was all alone, and the Salton Sea tried to eat my bike!

IMG_0402.jpg

Cheers to SDAR, and to the next 12 months of memories. We got a lot of riding to do! :D

Another good one was when I rode with you at McCain after it snowed. I remember that it wasn't the best of times for you on the TW200, but I had a great time on my EXC250 and the trails we rode were great.

100_0228.jpg

I still remember that one... you're right... it was a great day... a real bike would've made it better... the MAIN reason I still remember that one, is because my foot still hurts.

we have to ride that in the snow again; I've never seen the place looking better

I still remember that one... you're right... it was a great day... a real bike would've made it better... the MAIN reason I still remember that one, is because my foot still hurts.

we have to ride that in the snow again; I've never seen the place looking better

Mmmmm, McCain in the snow :lol:

100_0302.jpg

Brrrry good fun :D

Every time I go on a ride with people from this group I have a good time, even if things don't turn out like we planned.

I'm going to go outside the group by saying that my best riding memories are when I am out with my family. My wife, daughter, son and I have done a lot of riding together, hopefully some memories that my kids will look back on and enjoy in years to come.