Jaynen

Safe self loading practices

I am just wondering what you guys do to bed load your bikes in hopefully a safe manner, I have a short bed so its especially a pain if I am trying to put it to the side so I can close the tailgate. Usually the wife helps me but the more solo rides I go without her to meet people for DS stuff the more I need to learn how to do this in a way that I feel safe.

well, I've only ridden off the side of the ramp once...I guess I have the "safe" part down...

are you asking for tonight or the future?

for the future? ask me tomorrow... or you can see what fake name has...that guy I'd the James bond of the ds world... dude has everything

Depending on how bumpy the road you're driving on is, you may need to put a bungee on the tie downs so they don't come loose as the truck (or trailer - especially trailer) bounces.

If possible, load & unload bike with truck pointing downhill.

This gives you momentum going in, and gravity not fighting you when you unload..

Have your tie downs in place before loading,

Roll the bike half way up into the truck bed, then hold the bike steady with the front brake, while you climb into the truck bed.

Tie down the left side first, then get on the bike, holding it steady, reach down for the right side tie down.

Once tied down, it isn't too hard to slide the rear wheel to one side or the other so that the tailgate closes.

I use an upside down milk crate for a transition step between the ground and the tailgate, makes it a lot easier to get that final push into the truck or that big step down to the ground while unloading.

My loading ramp is just an old 2x8 sideboard from a waterbed with a piece of metal bolted on the end to keep it on the tailgate. It's not fancy, but nobody has stole it from me which is a big advantage over the aluminum ramps all my buddies are currently missing.

I am just wondering what you guys do to bed load your bikes in hopefully a safe manner

Could you expand on your question better a bit more? Are you asking about how to get the bike into the truck safely? Or are you asking about tie down methods used to secure the bike in the truck?

I think I’m missing an important part of the question here, but I did ride the little bus to school. :D

I thought this was another gun thread "Safe Self Loading Practices" had me thinking of re-loading ammo when I read the title and opened it up.... :D

Try using your bike stand on the right side of the ramp, with the engine running get some momentum walking beside the bike and easy on the throttle as you walk the bike up the ramp, step up onto the stand while clutching the bike up & modulate the front brake at the same time. You should be able to step up onto the stand and then the bed without missing a beat with the bike beside you.

You can keep your ramp from slipping by using a tiedown from the ramp to the bumper....

A couple of practice runs and it'll be an easy day.

Mescalero loads that way and he makes it look easy loading his XR650R into that high rise bed on his Truck.

Good luck

I pre put the tie downs in place.

I usually am on the left side of my bike.

I think my little stool is too short to make an easy step into the bed and my truck is not lifted.

I am talking about getting it into the bed and out safely not really how to tie it down.

Think part of the problem was trying to load the bike too far to the left so there wasnt easy room for me to step up with it.

Maybe I can learn the right side thing. The half up then front brake is what I normally do, just I normally need some extra help for pushing the bike up. Riding up :D I don't think I wanna do that.

I cheat! I got a ramp that is almost as wide as my truck bed. On the smaller bike I can push the bike and walk up the ramp at the same time. On the bigger bike I use the engine to propel the bike up as I walk along side it. I have ridden the bike up before but that can be just a bit scary. All I know about the narrower ramp is you need a stool or box (milk crate) or something to use as a stair as you get the bike up the ramp. Papa Alex uses a second ramp. One ramp is for the bike and one ramp with no skid is for him to walk up on. Lots of different ways to do it. Just find something that makes it comfortable for you to get into the truck as your bike goes in.

Load the bike toward the right side of the truck. You can angle if to the left after it is in. That will give you room for you.

All good advice so far.

I have an F-250 4x4 so it's fairly tall - thankfully it isn't lifted as that would make matters worse.

I try to park the truck down hill, but with the nose climbing a dip if I can. That helps lower the tailgate height.

The plastic stool that I use could be taller and more sturdy, one of my friends is always ribbing me about it. A plastic milk crate or recycling crate makes a good stool as would a bike stand.

My ramp is one of those Ramp Master arched folding ramps. When I was still riding sport bikes, I'd use a tiedown between the ramp and the trailer hitch to pull the ramp into the tailgate and prevent it from sliding off. I don't worry about it as much for the dirtbikes, but I suppose I should.

For everything except the trials bike, I start the bike and use the motor to aid in pushing the bike up the ramp. This is best done at a normal walking pace with the throttle opened to a fast idle and with the clutch slipping a bit. You don't want the bike to stall on the ramp - especially not the heavier street bikes.

One caution is to be smooth on the throttle and the clutch. At the track I once saw a guy let the clutch out too much/to fast and that caused the rear tire to move the ramp rearwards away from the truck and everything dropped to the ground. The race bodywork is pretty durable and not as easily scuffed as the factory plastics but he still suffered some damage. Hence the recommendation to use a tiedown between the ramp and truck :-)

The first few times I used a spotter or two till I got the hang of it and even after that I'd use one with the street bikes if there was anyone one around - just to be safe.

Foot stool placement is important and it's helpful to make a couple practice steps up into the truck till you get the hang of it. Once you've loaded the bike a handful it becomes second nature.

+1 for prepositioning the tiedowns in the truck and on the bike, makes things easier once the bike's in there.

Lastly, if I just have one bike in the truck, I'll position the front of the bike so that I can move the rear of the bike to one corner and have the tailgate just pushing up against the tire when it closes. This helps hold the rear of the bike from moving around on bumps.

Have usually been able to manage this trick even with two bikes as well. If I know I'm going to be driving on a bumpy road I'll also bungee cord or tie down the rear tire(s) to the back of the truck.

Same for the bike ramp - don't need that bouncing around and beating up gear in the bed.

I hope this link works. It shows my favorite way of watching someone else load their bike.

Might not actually be the safest way... :unsure: