Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

Electric Motorcycle?

Let’s see23 horse power, now what do you guys think my KLX300 puts out (33). Zero X suspension travel: 8inches front 9 inches rear. I think the KLX as about 11.2 and 11 inches. The KLX 300 claims a 233lbs dry weight. Zero X claims a total weight of 140lbs. If I did the math right that is .16 horse power to each pound for Zero X and .14 horse to each pound on the KLX. Advantage on that scale is to Zero X.

The electric bike range sucks but if you are on a track how far off is your fresh battery? If the greenees get their way this will be the only bike we will soon be able to ride. No noise and no green house gas.

If the development continues I’m sure that the performance will improve. Just look at the first motorcycles.

Let’s see23 horse power, now what do you guys think my KLX300 puts out (33). Zero X suspension travel: 8inches front 9 inches rear. I think the KLX as about 11.2 and 11 inches. The KLX 300 claims a 233lbs dry weight. Zero X claims a total weight of 140lbs. If I did the math right that is .16 horse power to each pound for Zero X and .14 horse to each pound on the KLX. Advantage on that scale is to Zero X.

The electric bike range sucks but if you are on a track how far off is your fresh battery? If the greenees get their way this will be the only bike we will soon be able to ride. No noise and no green house gas.

If the development continues I’m sure that the performance will improve. Just look at the first motorcycles.

Roger- why would you post a well thought out, science based argument? That has no place here ;)

I also think that the battery/motor can be placed so it is less of a concern that an engine and gas tank... Also, regarding the travel... so you "lose" two inches of travel... well, you also lost 90 pounds... you may not need as much travel.

I have considered getting one of the trials bikes for the kids to ride out front...

i actually watched a special or some show where they did a head to head comparison between the zero and I believe it was a yz250f. They jumped them, they drag raced them, and the did a technical loop on a trail somewhere. The zero lost the jump/drag, but put in a better time on the trail, and as far as the jumping and drag racing, it didn't lose by much. The big problem with the zero was it was quick to get up to "its" top speed, but "its" top speed is half that of the yz.

Hey, I’m not going out to buy one this week (already got a bike this week). I’m just trying to look ahead. This may be the future of the sport. Even the Marine Corps was looking at an electric “jeep”. I’m sure the speed will increase as the technology advances. The big stumbling block was the battery. Lead acid batteries were way too heavy. New battery advances may have solved this problem.

The internal combustion engine will be replaced by something else at some point, we just don’t know by what. It will not make a big difference to me because I will not be around.

My big gripe is pushing all this electric engine stuff because of no “green house gas” emissions. That is a load of bull. Most of the electricity in this country is made from burning fossil fuels so you still have emissions! :ph34r:

About my posts being well thought out…you want a fight don’t you. Everyone knows I only cut and paste my responses from Popular Mechanics. :lol:

That is cool! Hard to compare the HP when one is an electric motor that delivers continuous torque off the line... 0-30 in under 2 seconds which is where a lot of technical trail riding is. I wonder how the engine braking is on the clutchless one speed.

I guess I don't see these as mini bikes or dirt bikes or mountain bikes or trials bikes. To me the power delivery and range are unique enough to warrant their own category. In a decade these could rule the OHV areas, so let's just hope they're fun and the range goes up to 60 - 80 miles at least... and the price down to $1500 on Craigslist for a slightly used one... :ph34r:

All these electric bikes look really neat, but I want the ability to ride for a few hours, not a half an hour to an hour and a half. :D None of the bikes could do a day loop at Troy Meadows or Pinnacles. Desert guys would not find them too practical....

Seen this? http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-x.php

Interesting technology but at 23hp, limited travel, and 40 mile range it's kinda hard to get too excited about it.....more of an electric mountain bike than a "motorcycle"......

So much for this only coming from little start-up companies: KTM electric motocross bike

and they SHOULD be allowed in more areas... no noise/no pollution (directly anyway)... mountain bike parks? Penasquitos Canyon? Middle peak?

as soon as these get rolling, the people currently using these areas will start excluding them. No motors to scare horses! No noise to bother neighbors... I'd buy one! In fact... no emissions at all! Street legal?

the moto exclusion is all ready covered in alot of areas..."No Offroad Vehicle Activity" and or "No Motorized Vehicle Activity"

no reference to gasoline,diesel or electric.........it just covers them all

What about hamsters?

electric or gas powered???