paulmbowers

Radios and bike-to-bike com systems

As for PTT switches I mostly build my own but I use an APEM "IS" series switch with a U5125 dust cover. Mil spec and IP67 rated. Again extremely reliable.

http://www.mouser.co...eries-27348.pdf

Are those you referenced.... *click* type? With a positive click, on each push?

I've held onto my old BajaD PTTs for a long time. The OLD ones, are some of the best.... simply because of their positive "CLICK" when pushed. I run two PTTs on my bars, one is backup and old school BajaD clicky type. The other, is a highwaydirtbikes setup with a K4 *clicky* button. I've used the non-clicky type and can't stand them. Nor can those riding with me, as I'm pushing the PTT over some rough terrain they get half my audio.

Here's some pictures of my setup (left bar is HWDB mount/K4 switch, right bar is BajaD and both plugins for PTTs);

Nope. No click. I don't find that to be an issue but I know some prefer the click. HDB mounts are a work of art. Just wish they would use a little better quality switch. This is my setup - nothing fancy but never had one fail:

Nope. No click. I don't find that to be an issue but I know some prefer the click. HDB mounts are a work of art. Just wish they would use a little better quality switch. This is my setup - nothing fancy but never had one fail:

Ahh... nice. However, yes... I prefer the click or detent. Makes for a clear comm when riding the rough stuff.

AND, yes... HWDB's switches are a clone of the K4 branded switch. They don't last too long, but the price of them is a huge difference. My K4s cost about $12 each. His are $3-$4 I think. However, no problems with the K4s. They last.

So realistically, how much moolah must somebody throw down for a radio "set-up" ?

Radio usually on sale... $120-$140

Harness/helmet kit/ptt... $200

Adapters... $10-$25

... done

So realistically, how much moolah must somebody throw down for a radio "set-up" ?

Yaesu FT-270 on sale right now for $140 + $20 rebate at HRO. Best price I've seen.

Watch Rugged Radio (www.ruggedradios.com). Every once in awhile they have some killer deals. A few weeks ago they had a sale on the headset. I don't remember the exact price but I think it was around $50 off.

Thanks for the info JAT and PbdBlue. I'll tinker with gps stuff but I'd like a radio setup to be plug and play. Is the Yaesu FT-270 pretty much the "standard" like the Garmin 62/76 is?

On Amazon they have a Baofeng UV5RA 136-174/400-480 MHz dual-band transceiver with great reviews on sale for $36.

Could you give me a cliff notes version of the differences between the two? I would want to get a setup that will work seamlessly with other radios and be reliable. Thanks again for the info, I'm a radio n00b.

Thanks for the info JAT and PbdBlue. I'll tinker with gps stuff but I'd like a radio setup to be plug and play. Is the Yaesu FT-270 pretty much the "standard" like the Garmin 62/76 is?

On Amazon they have a Baofeng UV5RA 136-174/400-480 MHz dual-band transceiver with great reviews on sale for $36.

Could you give me a cliff notes version of the differences between the two? I would want to get a setup that will work seamlessly with other radios and be reliable. Thanks again for the info, I'm a radio n00b.

Yaesu is a very reputable mfr. The FT-270 (and it's predecessor the VX-170) are pretty much the standard in VHF radios. The advantage is that they are a very proven reliable quality radio and very ruggedly constructed. I have three of them and all have been pain free. The other advantage is that there are a lot of users out there so peer support for any questions is easy to come by. A lot of us already have all the programming cables and software and while not necessary to use the radio it does make things more convenient. I have read a lot about the Baofeng but don't know anyone that has one. Do you need the UHF (400 - 480Mhz) capability? Probably not as 140 - 150 Mhz is pretty much the band that most are using. So more bells and whistles that you probably won't need or use. If it were me I'd opt for the Yaesu.

Arfy has been using a Chinese radio for some time, with (I think ) good results.

Might shoot him a pm.

But I've not seen one solid alternative to the Rugged Radio or BD setups.

And many have tried.

Need to start making my own PTT's. They're $50 from Rugged Radios.

The problem is (as Randy pointed out) the difficulty finding a good switch. Needs to be momentary contact, have a significant detent (click) be waterproof and dustproof. And then there's the mount. The HBD mount is good, but you have to use their crappy switches, which are fine for limited use (I have one for my ABS interruptus) but kinda suck as PTT switches- I've tried.

Also, as Randy pointed out, the best ones are the original BD ones- my first has an RCA plug.

I've been soldering switches since I was 11 years old, and I've not been able to come up with a better solution than the Rugged Radios, especially for the big bike- the longer reach mount is damn good.

Chinese Baofeng UV5RA thumbsup_anim.gif

Super cheap and so far very good - I know of a few of them and the radios are turning out to be bulletproof.

I have wired my PTT to my flash to pass on the 950 and it works like a charm. Unfortunately Rugged Radios just had a sale on all the radio stuff sad.gif. I went with cheapo china harness at first but Rugged is the way to go for that.

....... The HBD mount is good, but you have to use their crappy switches, which are fine for limited use (I have one for my ABS interruptus) but kinda suck as PTT switches- I've tried. ................

Who is HBD?

BTW...

I no longer use smileyantenna for any 'custom' antennas.

I've since decided the COMET SMA24 ($25 at HRO) is the best bang for the buck, and puts out like NO OTHER! Seriously... other riders think I've boosted the power on my radio. Myself and others have used a tuned smileyantenna for a long time... and this Comet, far surpasses anything I've tried.

....... The HBD mount is good, but you have to use their crappy switches, which are fine for limited use (I have one for my ABS interruptus) but kinda suck as PTT switches- I've tried. ................

Who is HBD?

Sorry- Highway Dirt Bikes:

SM_02.jpg

Who is HBD?

Sorry- Highway Dirt Bikes:

Ah... that's who I was speaking of when I abbreviated HWDB.

And, I see he's updated his website and pictures of the switch mounts. He used to use my left ASV perch switch mount as his "model". However, that mount only shows up in his example picture on his switch page. I don't see it for sale anymore. Hmm. Maybe I'll have to send Paul an email.

As mentioned, I've replaced all his switches with K4 brand and not had any problems since.

In fact, Fibertech in El Cajon has them. If not, "Richard" from K4 can take them down to them if you send K4 an email.

The momentary K4 is a 13-131, and the on/off is a 13-132 --> http://www.k-four.net/K4%20Catalog.pdf

Radios are awesome, and even if you don't (currently) have a Ham license... they should be used. SAFETY is key, and they provide just that if used correctly. I too tire of the chit-chat and those who think being keyed up... to sing, or tell stories... is "fun" or "entertaining". Simply because when you need to alert other riders like NOW... you can't. Someone is keeping you from transmitting. So, I try and suggest SHORT BURSTS on the radio. Get your point across in a matter of a few words. Let's not talk about "how to jet your bike properly...." over the radio.

See, I have to gently and respectfully disagree here.

I enjoy listening to my buddies when I ride. I like to hear about their experiences with the rocks " good that one banged my 12" to the right, because the last one knocked me 12" to the left" or just about any other subject. Yes, including the reasons for John Denver's aircraft demise. We're riding for fun, not launching a nighttime covert op against hostile bogeys and managing ten different weapon systems. I just don't take myself that seriously.

Granted- if riding with 10 guys on radios, the comms have to be managed more carefully than a group of 3. And one can get carried away- I've been known to step a delicate toe over the talkative line now and then. But for the most part, I enjoy the banter and the camraderie of the group without having to stop, take off helmets and have a social chat.

Further- the banter keeps the group connected and within range. Since I'm a beginning rider, I don't ride with A- advanced-level folks for whom lead-to-sweep relaying is necessary. I know if I don't hear the sweep rider for a while, I should check in. And I know if other riders in the group are getting tired, struggling that day, or are riding strong and fast.

Obviously, to each their own.

Chinese Baofeng UV5RA thumbsup_anim.gif

Super cheap and so far very good - I know of a few of them and the radios are turning out to be bulletproof.

I have wired my PTT to my flash to pass on the 950 and it works like a charm. Unfortunately Rugged Radios just had a sale on all the radio stuff sad.gif. I went with cheapo china harness at first but Rugged is the way to go for that.

Hmm... I might have to buy one just to play with. Meanwhile GF'r you're just in time. I just walked in this evening to an email from Rugged Radios. 3 hour sale on Wednesday though they don't say what exactly will be on sale but definitely worth checking out.

See, I have to gently and respectfully disagree here.

I enjoy listening to my buddies when I ride. I like to hear about their experiences with the rocks " good that one banged my 12" to the right, because the last one knocked me 12" to the left" or just about any other subject. Yes, including the reasons for John Denver's aircraft demise. We're riding for fun, not launching a nighttime covert op against hostile bogeys and managing ten different weapon systems. I just don't take myself that seriously.

Granted- if riding with 10 guys on radios, the comms have to be managed more carefully than a group of 3. And one can get carried away- I've been known to step a delicate toe over the talkative line now and then. But for the most part, I enjoy the banter and the camraderie of the group without having to stop, take off helmets and have a social chat.

Further- the banter keeps the group connected and within range. Since I'm a beginning rider, I don't ride with A- advanced-level folks for whom lead-to-sweep relaying is necessary. I know if I don't hear the sweep rider for a while, I should check in. And I know if other riders in the group are getting tired, struggling that day, or are riding strong and fast.

Obviously, to each their own.

.. and it's okay to disagree. Everyone rides with different groups, skill sets, and such... so, of course.... I too enjoy the jokes, and the commentary, as well as other communication. I don't ride a fighter jet, and my names not Maverick. So, we too have fun with it.

HOWEVER... when you have 5-20 riders, and they're all on a fast paced ride of 100-300 miles in one day... you need as much battery as you can get. Also, a few seconds can make a big difference to warn the riders behind. If someone is going on and on, about how awesome their day is... well, those seconds don't mean squat. I've experienced it, more then once... even with at one time, our chase truck playing music for us. He didn't know I was trying to warn the bikes to the rear a truck was coming full speed head on down the road (and to stay as far to the right as possible). I couldn't warn the guys... and, well... the chase truck was 10 miles away just trying to have fun (as bored as the driver was, it could have caused us some grief).

So, yes... to each his own and every situation calls for something different. However, I ask those I ride with... to keep the chit chat to a minimum. Saving battery life, and possibly their own life. ....now, if I'm rolling the dunes out at Glamis, it's a WHOLE NUTHA' STORY! cool.gif

Ok this is what I have gathered so far.

I have a helmet kit so I am good to go.

I need a Yaesu FT-270 and a comet SMa 24 Antenna from HRO

I need a push to talk from ??????? with K4 switches

I need the jumpers to connect everything ??????????? don,t know who to get them from. It seems that these cables are excessive $$$

Any tips

Am I ok so far . Help me fill in the last two blanks !

If you already have a helmet kit, then I'd buy:

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_73&products_id=147 <<<<<<Harness

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=294_19&products_id=77 <<<<perch mounted PTT

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_36&products_id=103 <<<pigtail for Yaseu radios (buy two to have a backup)

There are more fiddly soluitons, like making your own PTT or finding aircraft surplus buttons, but this will get you going in the most straightforward way.

If you already have a helmet kit, then I'd buy:

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_73&products_id=147 <<<<<<Harness

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=294_19&products_id=77 <<<<perch mounted PTT

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_36&products_id=103 <<<pigtail for Yaseu radios (buy two to have a backup)

There are more fiddly soluitons, like making your own PTT or finding aircraft surplus buttons, but this will get you going in the most straightforward way.

Thanks Paul --That's just what information I needed .

THe price on the rugged push to talk seems excessive-- I need to check out the HDB ones - I need to read threw this thread again .

THe price on the rugged push to talk seems excessive-- I need to check out the HDB ones - I need to read threw this thread again .

Rolling your own PTT is a little cheaper. Just be aware that the connector is pricey. It's a Nexus aviation connector and cannot be had just anywhere like your local radio shack. This is where I buy them:

http://www.skygeek.com/nexus-tj-102-in-line-microphone-jack.html

So about $12 shipped for the connector + another $12 or so for a good quality switch and your already into it ~$25 without any mounting hardware. Sure you can save a few bucks by building your own as I did but the RR for $50 complete is really not that bad a deal and a little more palatable if they happen to go on sale. I believe the RR switch uses the same APEM mil spec switch that I use. With all due respect to Johnny while the K4 switch may be better than the HDB switch it's still not rated for harsh environments or sealed in any manner other than a rubber boot over the front side. The APEM switch is what RR as well as AVCOM have been using. It has gold contacts in a hermetically sealed case with a membrane sealing the contacts from the button. It's mil spec and IP67 rated. The problem with the PTT circuit used in handheld radios is that the microphone audio passes through the switch as well as the PTT signal. When the contacts get dirty it will manifest as noise in the transmit audio. Yes the APEM switch lacks the tactile feel or "click" but for me I was able to get past that very quickly. I don't know of a "click" type switch that is IP67 rated but there may be one.

They're not cheap.

But let me regale you with stories about bad PTT switches. Like Randy points out, for some stupid reason, the audio circuit passes through the switch, so bits of crap means BIG static. Not the the person transmitting, but to the person receiving. Very, very frustrating when listening for a missed turn.

Yes, Roger wired his flash-to-pass switch, which has tremendous ergonomic advantage. But often sticks- enough that during the Grand Canyon trip I'd have to catch up with him (it was really easy rolleyes.gif ) and point to my helmet to let him know his button was stuck in the ON position, transmitting all his personal in-the-helmet-commentary. Embarassing, especially given the choice of Ginger and MaryAnne, he seems to favor Mrs Howell when he feels he might be in danger.

Keep it simple, just buy the switch. Trust me.

They're not cheap.

But let me regale you with stories about bad PTT switches. Like Randy points out, for some stupid reason, the audio circuit passes through the switch, so bits of crap means BIG static. Not the the person transmitting, but to the person receiving. Very, very frustrating when listening for a missed turn.

Yes, Roger wired his flash-to-pass switch, which has tremendous ergonomic advantage. But often sticks- enough that during the Grand Canyon trip I'd have to catch up with him (it was really easy rolleyes.gif ) and point to my helmet to let him know his button was stuck in the ON position, transmitting all his personal in-the-helmet-commentary. Embarassing, especially given the choice of Ginger and MaryAnne, he seems to favor Mrs Howell when he feels he might be in danger.

Keep it simple, just buy the switch. Trust me.

Agreed. Well all except the "trust me" part :D/>