paulmbowers

Radios and bike-to-bike com systems

Does anyone have study materials that I could borrow? I've got my VX-170 with CT-91, and helmet kit is on order. I'm determined to get legal before I transmit, and I've been looking at the question bank for a couple weeks now. I know I can memorize 400 questions eventually but I'm not really looking forward to that approach.

Sorry, lent mine out. But if I had to do it again, I wouldn't bother with anything but the online study materials. They will do the job.

Looking at the prep Randy is doing for the desert dash, I thought I'd raise my hands and wave my arms about licensing. If all DD volunteers were licensed, we could easily connect all over the entire course via repeater. Big safety considerations as well as convenience.

It's not that tough, guys!

that is all.

So I've been dragging my feet with the radio as I haven't been doing much riding. However, I plan to have the radio setup ready for the Primm ride. I'll be taking my test this Saturday in Carlsbad and I better pass.

Anyhow, for anyone looking for online test material I found this site to be one of the best. It has flashcard mode where you find out whether you chose the correct answer immediately, and it also has sample test where you take all 35 questions and then find out how you scored. I've passed some 20 times in a row and reviewed all the questions at least a few times, so we'll see how accurate the questions are after the actual test.

Online Study: KBOMGA Sample Tests

Test center and dates: Carlsbad SANDARC

The only catch is that you need FCC Registration Number (FRN) before taking the test, but you'll need one for your license anyhow, so might as well sign up: FCC Registration

Now I'll have to find the radio and reread the manual too. :blink:

100% correct, so if I can do it, anyone can! :unsure: Spoke to Diego at Baja Designs on Friday and they'll have a headset ready for me next week. I'll be fully equipped and legal for the Primm ride.

I finally took and passed the test too. I did fine on element 2 so without studying I went ahead and tried element 3, at the VEs' suggestion...failed miserably. I was kinda pissed that I didn't pass the first time so I went back yesterday and passed element 3. So I guess that's just one more drop in the bucket of proof that even a moron can pass these tests and be legal.

SDLineman, thanks for the offer of your book...I'm sure it would have helped me a bit with the studying.

.......I thought I'd raise my hands and wave my arms about licensing........It's not that tough, guys!

I'm feeling a lot of heat to get licensed from both SDAR buds and friends at work.......I borrowed DigDug's study about........a year ago :lol: ......maybe it's time to bring it into the house from the garage :o:o

Just found this site http://aa9pw.com/radio/java/ that has practice tests. Much better than the one I used to get mine. If you use the auto feature, it will tell you if you've checked the wrong answer. I'd do the test 3-5 times that way, then a couple without auto grade, then you'll be good to go, I think. Probably take an hour or so.

Great thread.. I am also a big fan of trail communication. I have an ICOM IC-V8 2meter radio and the helmet kit from PCI Race Radios. My buddies that race baja like the PCI Race setup because it is super durable.

I also just got my HAM license so I am legal.

73.. KJ6DHR

Ready to Wire-Up a radio to my head and bike. Thanks to Fakename for the Parts List, and everyone for discussion.

Question and Answer Section

Can I buy locally for reasonable $ ? Is HRO local ?

Buying the Baja Designs Kit 65-0001 with Yaesu adapter, San Marcos. $195

Buying Yaesu FT270R or is it VX270R ? Priced about $135 hopefully.

Does anyone have the programming software available for the 270R?

License - Study online, take test in El Cajon?

I can answer one question.

HRO is located in San Diego at 5375 Kearny Villa Rd, San Diego CA 92123

Phone number is 858-560-4900

Ready to Wire-Up a radio to my head and bike. Thanks to Fakename for the Parts List, and everyone for discussion.

Question and Answer Section

Can I buy locally for reasonable $ ? Is HRO local ?

Buying the Baja Designs Kit 65-0001 with Yaesu adapter, San Marcos. $195

Buying Yaesu FT270R or is it VX270R ? Priced about $135 hopefully.

Does anyone have the programming software available for the 270R?

License - Study online, take test in El Cajon?

Lesseee-

HRO has been answered. You can get it a little cheaper online, but the shipping nixes any minor advantage.

It's the 270Rzys-ft-270r.jpg

You can get it from an ebay supplier- you'll nee the cable. DigDug was our expert on that, but he's overseas.

Study online, take the exam where convenient. It's pretty darned easy.

Just take the same practice test over a few times- your score will improve. All the questions come from a single "bank". The questions that appear on the REAL test are identical to the questions in the practice tests. So just roll through several times- you'll be fine.

I really like this site: Ham Test and Flash Cards Just run through the flashcards a bunch and take the tests to see where you're at. The flash cards and tests will go through every question and give you an idea on where to focus. Eventually if you do it enough you'll have it memorized.

I really like this site: Ham Test and Flash Cards Just run through the flashcards a bunch and take the tests to see where you're at. The flash cards and tests will go through every question and give you an idea on where to focus. Eventually if you do it enough you'll have it memorized.

Now thats more like it! Between the two, I should be able to study and pass the test.

Now the question is, where do I take the test at?