paulmbowers

Radios and bike-to-bike com systems

Well I'm legal now but still only know how to turn on the radio and push the talk button. Maybe someone/anyone smarter than me could hold a radio class like the backpacking class we had.

Covered in Stupid

I'm glad this topic has been brought up again... driss was asking for some details, and the best I could offer him was: I bought what paul told me to buy

that being said; diego at baja designs was very helpful when I told him which pieces I had, and what I wanted to do... he was helpful again 3 days later, when I had to replace the cord that came unattached from the radio, and got stuck in my rear wheel... $70 gone within an hour :angry2: secure your stuff

Thank you BIKESLUT for all the information and help you have giving me but to add my taught to this thread this is what I ended up doing after all the great informations that I gathered from everyone.

I didn't need or use the Baja design helmet kit for my set up and no PTT switch neither,I am set up completely wireless and with ivox there is no need for a PTT switch. I have no cables of any kind from helmet to radio or radio to handle bar.

I am using my Scala G4 bluetooth ear-piece with this new radio that is 1/3 the size of the one bikeslut recommended which by the way has been discontinued, the new version of it is called FT-270R but that is also ancient in technology.

I bought the new YAESU VX-8DR with an extra bluetooth module and an extra GPS module instead of buying the $250,00 Baja helmet and ptt switch. I am using the Scala G4 that I already own one set that I use on My BMW bike, The whole thing works wirelessely and with IVOX capability there is no nees for PTT switch.

Now what I need to try and I was told it will work based on the way I want to go is hook up everything thru the Garmin Zumo 550 once I get the bracket fot the KLX250S and what I will have is GPS, radio, music, cell phone and communication either with the radio or bluetooth with the passenger. There is no wires or cable replacement down the road this way. the cost out my pocket was almost the same, I spend $500.00 versus $400.00 the way bikeslut told me to do it.

By the way the guys at the Ham radio store in kearny mesa as knowledgeable as they are were not the one to suggest this setup because they said the FT-270R works good with the $70.00 helmet/PTT switch they sell but that is not what everyone said on this thread or others like ADV rider. Everyone said the only way you can have solid communication is by using the Baja design because all the others don't a have good noise canceling micro if they have it and all the $70 to $100 ones don't even have the noise canceling.

Now I am listening to everyone that wants to comment on this set up and I am working on getting licensed as I agree with some of you that suggest that we all should get licensed. There is only one way to do things right, lets all make it a resolution for 2011 to get licensed.

Driss

I'm confused....

What helmet and comm system are you using on the KLX250? In the dirt, and on fast trails??

Anything VOX has never worked for me on my plated "dirt bikes", using a full face helmet, with anything over 30mph or any type of bike rev over idle. Hence the reason for recommending the BajaD helmet kit (same noise-cancelling mic as AVCOM uses... or PCI Radio, or Rugged Radios.... etc.etc), with the more expensive MIC

I am using my Scala G4 as a com system and I use a this with my off road Thor helmet when riding off road and I put it on my full face shoei when riding on road. my helmet style depend on what i am riding and the kind of riding I am doing and I have used this set up on the KLX250 and on my R1200GS riding on road and off road with no issue.

I believe the quality of the equipment you use is very important especially in a noisy environment, I must add that the KLX250 is stock without after market pipe. You are welcome to come and try this setup at my home or anytime you see me going on a ride send me a text and I will bring the other unit for you to check.

I hope this help if you read my original reply I was pretty theral on explaining how is my setup working and it answer these two questions you have already.

I am using my Scala G4 as a com system and I use a this with my off road Thor helmet when riding off road and I put it on my full face shoei when riding on road. my helmet style depend on what i am riding and the kind of riding I am doing and I have used this set up on the KLX250 and on my R1200GS riding on road and off road with no issue.

I believe the quality of the equipment you use is very important especially in a noisy environment, I must add that the KLX250 is stock without after market pipe. You are welcome to come and try this setup at my home or anytime you see me going on a ride send me a text and I will bring the other unit for you to check.

I hope this help if you read my original reply I was pretty theral on explaining how is my setup working and it answer these two questions you have already.

yes sir... that helped solve some of my little brain confusion.... thanks for that.

I'm scratchin' my head at how this works for you. And, I too agree... the "better" equipment is a must.

.... where I'm surprised this works is at wind noise levels high enough to open the mic. Or, if it doesn't open the mic, you nearly have to yell to get it to open. If thats not the case, then I'm still perplexed. See, I only have a few things to compare it to... real world experiences on my end. One of them is a non-vox mic, and when I'm at freeway speeds... I can barely hear myself talk. So, without yelling, I push my ptt and talk into the mic where others can hear me... but, it's not the most clear. SO.... to think the VOX would work in that SAME scenario, is a wonder. Because ALL of the high end brands and combinations I've tried... didn't work. The mic would open and require me to raise my voice too loud, or the mic would have to be set too low... and then would open on it's own. There was never a "GOOD" result with a full face MX helmet (not a full face street helmet) that wasn't behind a wind screen. Make sense?

I did read this review; http://www.engadget....e-cancellation/ And found that it's pretty good in the form of a VOX in wind noise, but they too were wishing for a PTT button to cure the delay in opening the mic. A common problem we ALL have (in the VOX world).

I hope for someday to get a wireless system inside my helmet, but.... for now, (in my experiences) you just can't beat wired. It's similar in the VoIP world of phones (my main job). Wired is just THAT much more clear.

I'd love a wireless system that could tie in my smart phone... AND my 2M Ham radio (with an option for a PTT on the bars) and still use a high quality mic. Boy... wouldn't that be the bees knees!!!! (uh oh.... could these be the options for guys like me? http://www.bluebike.com/rahmen_en.htm or the http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/blu-virtu/)

Can't we just get a helmet system like they had in the movie Firefox? You could just THINK it, and everyone would know...

firefox-clint-eastwood-movie-poster.jpg

Can't we just get a helmet system like they had in the movie Firefox? You could just THINK it, and everyone would know...

Whoa!!! You'd be all set, Strega. Thought control AND a matching black flight suit!

(I don't want anyone knowing what I'm thinking while I'm riding, by the way! :lol: )

Oh god... from geek.... to SUPER GEEK!!!!

... but heck ya, I'm down!!!

As long as everyone understands my thoughts aren't always of naked women and I don't offend anyone with my sh*t talking and loads of sarcasm... we're good. ;)

I'm not sure if I ever put this on here for you all to ogle... but, after it came to mind... I thought I'd share (and I just updated it so it's accurate);

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/41636-50w-Radio-for-bike-quad-or-anything-running-a-battery-Yaesu-makes-this-happen!

... it's all about using a 50W mobile radio (ham) on my dirt bike, my trials and tribulations... and then going to a 10W mobile (waterproof) radio.

By the way... all those radios I used, were bluetooth capable. Pretty cool radios FOR SURE.... just not meant for the abuse I put them through.

I'm not sure if I ever put this on here for you all to ogle... but, after it came to mind... I thought I'd share (and I just updated it so it's accurate);

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/41636-50w-Radio-for-bike-quad-or-anything-running-a-battery-Yaesu-makes-this-happen!

... it's all about using a 50W mobile radio (ham) on my dirt bike, my trials and tribulations... and then going to a 10W mobile (waterproof) radio.

By the way... all those radios I used, were bluetooth capable. Pretty cool radios FOR SURE.... just not meant for the abuse I put them through.

Those are nice radios for sure. I was looking at one for my 950 for the longer trips, but I'd never seen one mounted on a smaller bike like that. Nice writeup!

One thing for people to keep in mind is that, in the radio world, more power does not always translate into more range - for two reasons:

1 - Just because you have a big mouth (power wise), doesn't mean you have big ears. Unless both ends of the conversation (i.e. your riding buddies) have the power, you won't be able to carry on a conversation. I've had this happen when I've been in my truck and talking to guys on handhelds. They could hear me, but their transmissions wouldn't even get over the static in the truck.

2 - The VHF band which is line of sight. I can sit on the coast and talk to the repeater on Palomar mountain with my 5-Watt VX-170 (50 miles or more - line of sight), but if you're riding in the mountains (or even in the sand washes of the desert), the terrain will block the signals no matter how much power you're putting out and you won't reach even a 1/2 mile.

Would you recommend this radio for something like the 950? I'd go with the 10W model for the ease of mounting.. (edit.. it looks like they've discontinued the SR model and only make the R model now. Maybe I'd just be best finding a good mount for my VX-7R instead)

Whoa!!! You'd be all set, Strega. Thought control AND a matching black flight suit!

(I don't want anyone knowing what I'm thinking while I'm riding, by the way! :lol: )

Good point...I don't wanna hear you laughing when I wreck...again...

Seriously, one of the worst 'accidents' I've had on a bike, I hear YOU laughing at me through the radio, lol. Thought I smashed my 'business' on the tank when I'd really broken my foot. I still chuckle when I think about it :)

"Mono foam ear bud speakers for race helmets, scanners, Ipods, and Mp3s. Clear in loud environments. Sportsman Mono buds offer quality stereo listening and backround noise attinuating."

Well, they can't be both mono and stereo at the same time, and looking at the plug, it's mono. Not a deal-killer by any means.

The thing about earbuds is the on-off procedure. I use them for music, and it's a PITA everytime I remove my helmet. But they do supress noise, and if you're riding on the road for long periods, hearing damage is a factor.

Oh- they are illegal in California, as are earplugs.

I was in an environmental audit last week- hours of discussions about federa and state guidelines

The final say was

"Everything is illegal in California"

only if you wear both, one is perfectly legal

only if you wear both, one is perfectly legal

True!

I crank the radio to full and wear earplugs. Never have to adjust volume and I hear everyone clearly.

I believe most of us are using clones of a set of freqs provided by DigDug. Last I checked there was no software for Macs, so I dropped the idea.

I've got a radio with DigDug's Programming here in Ramona if you have the cord and want to clone it.

Hey guys Im looking to program my VX170...what software are you guys using? Is it free etc?

I programmed in a bunch of repeaters by hand, takes a little time but not too bad if you break it up into a few different sessions. It's free! What else is there to program? I don't have my license yet so don't know much about it yet. If I need to do something else let me know. Thanks for any info. Kirk.

DigDug's list is a bunch of simplex frequencies and a bunch of repeaters all in the memory with names to identify them. I think he had about 100 total, local up to Big Bear, and maybe some other areas. It was about 2 minutes to install. It is also easier to switch channels if everyone has the same freqs in their memory.

DigDug's list is a bunch of simplex frequencies and a bunch of repeaters all in the memory with names to identify them. I think he had about 100 total, local up to Big Bear, and maybe some other areas. It was about 2 minutes to install. It is also easier to switch channels if everyone has the same freqs in their memory.

I own the cable, happy to lend it. Keep in mind if a radio has the MARS/CAP mod, it can only be cloned to another modded radio.

For anyone that wants radio programming, I now have a cables for the vx170, ft-1802/ft-1900/ft-2800 etc long with the software to tune.

Just a reminder, folks- it's quite legal to purchase and receive signals with the radios mentioned here WITHOUT a license. Remember though, the hams that work at places like Ham Radio Outlet will take a very narrow view of anyone using these radios to transmit without a license. Ham operators take this kind of stuff both very seriously and personally, and it's not helpful to suggest there is any organization, club, group etc encouraging the use of radios without a license.

It's clear that if members of our group were to use radios for bike-to-bike conversations we'd be in remote areas, operating on fairly low power with a short range on an obscure frequency, and that type of operation has very little likelihood of interfering with any other radio traffic. But operating under those conditions is a violation of the very strict letter of federal law.

As using 2m ham radios without a license is not within the strict letter of the law, it would be in everyone's best interest to avoid any discussion of that practice, especially at the local ham store. Might be best to keep the discussion of radio use to the receiving part of the wonder that is amateur radio operations.

10-4?