Guest Hammerin Hammon

It's a bit frightening when part of the SDAR conversations include the borrowing of orthopedic devices.

Phone call:

Hey, Skeeter? Who's got the traction sling checked out today? Anyone seen the heart lung machine? Will you call him and see if he's done with it? I got 50 crutches in inventory, and none of them match!

:rolleyes:

You guys make Baja, seem safe.

Craig.

Do we know anything about what exactly happened to make Walker1 go down?

Yes- as he explained while reclining on the ground, he caught his toe on an embankment, twisting his foot at an unfortunate angle which required the fracture of both bones in his calf. Very shortly afterwards, he fell off the bike.

He then corrected the break by rotating his foot back to a normal angle. Just gives me the creeps thinking about it.

Ouch.

Yes- as he explained while reclining on the ground, he caught his toe on an embankment, twisting his foot at an unfortunate angle which required the fracture of both bones in his calf. Very shortly afterwards, he fell off the bike.

He then corrected the break by rotating his foot back to a normal angle. Just gives me the creeps thinking about it.

Ouch.

Ouch indeed.

Ouch indeed.

Yes, as we were trying to determine how he knew for sure that he broke his leg, he replied "because I turned my foot around correctly before you rode up on your bikes". I guess that settles that!

Whoops, I saw Walker online a while ago and it looked like he was gonna post something here, but I guess not :)

Has anybody talked to him since I did?

"Wahoo"....

Just walked in from hospital! HA..HA..

A little tired, had to do the song and dance on my new legs (crutches) for physical thearpist.

Thanks to all for your kind words and especially those of you who helped me out on the trail.

Sorry If I messed up the ride for anyone(everyone).

I'll post x-rays tomorrow. It's been a long 3 days. I got out of surgery Monday evening. They had a problem

Hammering nail in? Should have called "The Hammer"! Doc'says stay off for 8 weeks?

They could not do anthing about foot yet? Bummer!

I'll contact eveyone later.

Thanks Again for all your help and support.

walker1

I'LL BE BACK! :)

IT'S ALIVE!

Do not worry about the ride... you will live in infamy... you have your helicopter story...

[channeling Gene Wilder]

LIIIIVVVEEE it's alive!

Good to hear from you Walker!, Glad you're hobbling out of the hospital.

Maybe we can change you user name to UseaWalker? Just temporarily, obviously.

Take your time, rest, make nice with the wife so she'll let you keep the bike.

fn

Gary, It's good to hear you are out. Don't go out and do anything that you shouldn't now. Let it have time to heal. It will not be but a while, that you will be back on the trail with us on a night ride. You didn't spoil anybodys ride. You showed us how to take an injury bravely. Heck when I got my little spill last year I kept crying until they were forced to take me to a hospital. Then I talked the Doctors into giving me morphine. ;) I'm a wimp. :D You are the MAN! :):)

post-101-1217177392_thumb.jpg

Who's tough enough to take the pain?

The photos in post#4 show it all... :)

Good to hear from you, Gary. Glad you made it through the operation in good circumstances. Time to prop your foot up, heal up and go fishing for a while. :)

Well ..This ..Sucks! ;) Day 1 and this really is NO Fun!

MiMi I'll be ready to go fishin in a couple of weeks.

Got to get these pain meds under control!

And get shed of this full cast!

Thanks for all the info Gunner, Numbskull and everone else.

Hey did anybody see what happened to my gear, helmet, chest protector and ?

Not that I'll be needing them real soon just would like to know.

Be Safe out there!

Can't-Walker1 ;)

Can't-Walker1 ;)

;)

Alright, who has Walkers stuff? Fess up.

Guest crmyers

OK limper opps sorry I took your helmet, chest protector, jersey shin guards and I think one boot out of the back of the fire dept. truck, I gave the Paramedics your backpack and then took the rest of the stuff put it inside your chest protector tied it up real tight and hung it as a neat package from your handlbar. Then I went riding so hopefully all that stuff is with your bike. Hey starting Thurs . (tomorrow) I will be in Silver Strand Sp.#41, farthest north spot for a week if you or anyone reading this wants to hang out and have a cold one come on by. Bye. Charlie 316-8726.

Thanks crmyers!!

Me thinks that Fakey Namey guy gots it,,,Ihope,,, along with my superduper DRZ!

Paul I'll email you later, Thanks for taking my bike!!

All Yall are to cool !!

Numbskull is bringing over wheelchair Ya..Hoo..

Laters Gators

Can'tWalker1-out ;)

Thanks crmyers!!

Me thinks that Fakey Namey guy gots it,,,Ihope,,, along with my superduper DRZ!

Paul I'll email you later, Thanks for taking my bike!!

All Yall are to cool !!

Numbskull is bringing over wheelchair Ya..Hoo..

Laters Gators

Can'tWalker1-out ;)

Yes, I have it all here, safe and sound.

fn

You guys are the good type of people I like to ride with. Live no man behind! or his stuff :ph34r:

:lol:

You guys are the good type of people I like to ride with. Live no man behind! or his stuff ;)

We took his stuff because we were going to try and sell it on eBay….0h did I say that out loud?

Glad you are looking to the future Gary. :lol:

Jaynen, you made a mistake posting the picture of your lovely wife. Don’t get hurt because everybody will be over trying to console your bride. :ph34r:

:lol:

You guys are the good type of people I like to ride with. Live no man behind! or his stuff :D

We took his stuff because we were going to try and sell it on eBay….0h did I say that out loud?

Glad you are looking to the future Gary. ;)

Jaynen, you made a mistake posting the picture of your lovely wife. Don’t get hurt because everybody will be over trying to console your bride. :ph34r:

If they can catch her she would probably be miles up the trail :lol:

Ok Like I promised here's the xrays! Kind of hard to see Bones in foot but Doc said one of the breaks is a double! All I Know is that it hurts and they still have to go in and fix it, Maybe!

Enjoy and Do'nt loose focus on the important things in life!

post-2790-1218057799_thumb.jpg

post-2790-1218057821_thumb.jpg

post-2790-1218057839_thumb.jpg

walkersxray.jpg

Which is why, in a simple situation, we don't "load him up on his bike and ride him to the trailhead". If EMS can easily get to there, it's always a better idea to let them immobilize and transport. Breaks like this can get awfully complicated when jerked around in transport. Tissue damage, the aforementioned blood clots, etc.

Best news of all- the SAM splint now is offered in a pleasing dark grey to match my bike, car, all my clothing, my photo gear, my trailer, and just about anything else I own. I even got black stretchy gauze to match. Hopefully, they'll sit at the bottom of my Camelbak forever.

sandiegoland to the white courtesy phone... please make a signature for walker (like my helicopter sig) that shows broken bones all over the place... DAMN Walker... take a calcium pill every once in a while.... that's some serious breakage!

5 of those 6 are worse than ANY i've ever had...

Gary- want to borrow any bike DVD's? Dust to Glory? On Any Sunday? Long Way Round? Thrillbillies? Erzberg? etc. any other DVDs you want to see that you haven't already rented? If you post a list of "want to see" movies, I'll bring you what I have, and collect from the group what I don't...

Gary, on a positive note, your knee joints must be "Terminator" strong. You'll be back(heavy Austrian accent). :ph34r: Later, Ken

This photo is from the same area we rode on our night ride, but about a week later, but I liked it so I thought I would post it on the thread. :ph34r:

100_1021.jpg

It had rained briefly before we came through.