tntmo

Plastic tank restoration - any advice

My 85 Honda XR350R has been a fun machine, I want to pretty it up a little bit.  I purchased some new decals and have some frame paint, but I really want to make the tank look better.

It’s faded and dry/crusty looking.  What method have you used that worked well?

IMG_4804.jpeg

There are lots of how to videos on Youtube.  Some involve heat guns, some don't.  I chose this one because it had Rolling Stones music.

Edited by dirt dame
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Personally I use Maxima SC1 until I just can't stand the way it looks anymore and buy replacement plastic. Lots of scuffs/discolorations from things like boots or soft luggage will come off with a 'magic eraser', which can be found cheap by searching for melamine sponges on Amazon. It will kind of dull the plastic though.

Awesome bike, it will look good with a proper restore like dirt dame suggests and new decals. Just labor intensive.

• Like 1

This tank is beyond plastic polish, the video Mimi posted is probably the way to go.  Including the music.

• Like 1

fire

fix it with fire

fire cures all problems, by either solving them , or eliminating them.
either way its a win win

Maybe get an aftermarket tank to run around with to safe the original one for future use?

• Like 1

Hotmelt glue this to the tank and resume your ride.  Good to go brother.

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-36-13-6-758-569-Insignia-Stamped-Ad/dp/B008GAFGK0/ref=asc_df_B008GAFGK0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312141063511&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3667061289400974434&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031272&hvtargid=pla-427202949520&psc=1&mcid=1b23e42fb2023695b6005693dbba9894&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhc-sBhCEARIsAOVwHuRPKe7Z0-mDqz8pxf034XCczts62KNiyGief-Qh83sLiNOsqVL-tCgaAmzREALw_wcB

2 hours ago, DSM8 said:

fire

fix it with fire

fire cures all problems, by either solving them , or eliminating them.
either way its a win win

Maybe get an aftermarket tank to run around with to safe the original one for future use?

Fire is an option.  No bolt on aftermarket for this one year only model, probably could adapt something from similar year models 

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

probably could adapt something from similar year models 

THIS ^^
TO save the original tank from breakage or maybe find one on Ebay etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

THIS ^^
TO save the original tank from breakage or maybe find one on Ebay etc.

I had found an entire parts bike but was too lazy to drive 100 miles to get it.  Hopefully I don’t regret that later.