Pokey151

Any guitar players in here?

I am a hack but I love paying, I'm a bit of a gear collector.  I mainly play stoner rock/doom metal  I like the slow heavy fuzz stuff.  However I really like blues,  I never keep up with current artists on mainstream music.  I did come across Markus King who apparently is a monster at guitar.  I literally just came across him 2 weeks ago.  Today I bit the bullet and bought his custom Orange MK Ultra amp head. 

This seems like it should turn into a collector piece for sure (hand wired in America and they only made 1500 units)  Orange is made in England or the lower end stuff in China, This one is apparently the only one made in America.  No circuit board, point to point wiring

It shows up Saturday and I'm super excited.  So while I wait, just checking if anyone else plays and/or and any experience with that amp? 

• Like 1

MKB is baddass hard blues style, good luck with the Orange and as for playing...zero 

Edited by robertaccio
  • Like 1

I like motorcycles...oh LOOK

A squirrel

1 hour ago, DSM8 said:

I like motorcycles...oh LOOK

A squirrel

Yeah I am sort of into motorcycle too, same with guns (pistol competitions, IDPA, USPSA and Steel shoot, I want to get into 3 gun but been reluctant to get a specific shotgun for that)  Also into fishing  My wallet has me limited to those hobbies  I cant really take on new hobbies

• Like 3

Gotta love the direct simplicity of just volume, base and treble control.

• Like 1

I play but with a slight twist - bass player here. This must be the week for biting the bullet on amps. I just got an Ampeg B-15N to add to the toy collection. I saw it locally and couldn't pass it up since I love that era of bass players when the Ampeg was the amp to have. Also play violin/fiddle, my main music stuff. Yeah and the bike habit makes for an interesting combination. Ride a good long ride and then try to play when you're arms don't like holding your car keys. It's all good regardless.

Edited by Apple

I looove guitar music, wish I knew how to play, I bought one of those starter n00b Fender Esquire kits with the tiny amp a couple years ago but my stubby wide fingertips and how close those strings were was a losing battle for me, while practicing all the chords. Maybe I'll try an acoustic one day, but the baby Fender went to a new home thanks to offerup and I have gone back to just enjoying listening to real guitar players do their thing :) Enjoy the new amp. 

On 6/29/2023 at 4:34 PM, Apple said:

I play but with a slight twist - bass player here. This must be the week for biting the bullet on amps. I just got an Ampeg B-15N to add to the toy collection. I saw it locally and couldn't pass it up since I love that era of bass players when the Ampeg was the amp to have. Also play violin/fiddle, my main music stuff. Yeah and the bike habit makes for an interesting combination. Ride a good long ride and then try to play when you're arms don't like holding your car keys. It's all good regardless.

That's awesome, Those Ampegs are gold.

13 hours ago, shutterrev said:

I looove guitar music, wish I knew how to play, I bought one of those starter n00b Fender Esquire kits with the tiny amp a couple years ago but my stubby wide fingertips and how close those strings were was a losing battle for me, while practicing all the chords. Maybe I'll try an acoustic one day, but the baby Fender went to a new home thanks to offerup and I have gone back to just enjoying listening to real guitar players do their thing :) Enjoy the new amp. 

You need to find a guitar with a wider nut like a jackson type

• Like 1

How's the new amp? Are the neighbors enjoying it as much as you? 😂

• Haha 1

amps.thumb.jpg.15e1dcaa20850a69b5f749681eb90f6b.jpg

1 hour ago, SANRider said:

How's the new amp? Are the neighbors enjoying it as much as you? 😂

The new amp is amazing,  It's is the fullest sounding amp I ever played through.  I have a decent collection of amps.  My old favorite as the Freedman JJ (20Watt tube amp)  this is simply another level.   My neighbors have been listening to my hacked playing of Fu Manchu, Kyuss, Kadavar etc.   lol  full volume too,, no attenuator.   I should have worn ear plugs, my ears are still ringing a bit

For those who do not know and want to get an idea, a 20W tube amp is roughly as loud as a 100W solid state amp.  A guitar speaker plays a short frequency spectrum, so the efficiency of the speakers is crazy, like 102dB, a normal home/car speaker is roughly 88dB   So in comparison, 1W in a guitar speaker is approx 5x's louder than 1W in a car/home speaker.   

A 20W tube amp is loud enough to play in a small room with a drummer unless he is very heavy handed.  a 30W is more than enough,  a 100W tube can drown out a drum set so they run monitors to amplify the drums etc...

Edited by Pokey151