SoCalMule

KTM 450 70 Degree Thermostat Question

Noticed a coolant leak yesterday from one or two of the hoses connecting to the thermostat on my EXC. Ordered a set of silicon hoses to replace the OEM version. Should I buck-up and by a new 70 Deg. thermostat (just for giggles) or figure that if it fails sometime, it's really not a big deal anyway?

Thanks! The drippy Mule

17 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Tim pulled mine. Not cold enough locally.

That is what I was thinking too. Did he install the bypass hose in it's place? Or just remove the thermostat from inside the housing?

23 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

???  No idea

I just spoke with the folks over at Jeff Slavens and they said that it’s OK to just remove the thermostat out of the housing. The result I’m looking for is more flow which should equal more cooling.

I have heard that water can pass too quickly without some restriction (like a t-stat) and not cool effectively at all.  Not saying this would happen in this case but throwing it out there.

1 minute ago, simicrintz said:

I have heard that water can pass too quickly without some restriction (like a t-stat) and not cool effectively at all.  Not saying this would happen in this case but throwing it out there.

It’s a consideration in cold temps. Here in SoCal more flow is good. 

Yes, remove it. The cooling system performs better without if for our riding condition.

I'd be VERY interested in some cylinder head temp readings both with and without the Tstat. Lots of urban myth about increased or decreased cooling capacity v. flow rate.

I'm not saying I know definitively either way- I'm just curious.

It's not just about improved flow- more coolant velocity does not necessarily mean better cooling. I know in the hot rod days we'd remove the thermostat, but replace it with a washer to slow the coolant circulation- force it to spend more time in the radiator and INCREASE resulting temperature DROP.

My experience is similar to Paul's.  I'd be interested in some real readings on similar bikes with and without.  Gonna follow this.

I see your point. There are other advantages too. Higher pressure rating (less likely to fail on the trail), fewer connection points (failure points), no thermostate to fail, they last longer than stock rubber hoses, and they look good.

I'd venture to say just about every pro sx/mx/enduro team replaces the stock radiator hose and thermostat with a highflow silicone hose kit.

The thermostat is only there for cold conditions up until  operating temp is reached. After running temp is reached it’s only in the quotient by a negligible amount of flow restriction . Most off-road machines do not have a thermostat. Maybe on dual sports it’s there due to easy riding conditions and or CARBie kind of things. 🤭