Sign in to follow this  
ADAM_650L

CA plate and green sticker

Why do people get both a plate and a green sticker for bikes?

Can someone help me understand this please.

Im just trying to find out if there is any benefit to it.

My understanding is that you can go anywhere with a plate, so why would you need a green sticker?

Thanks!

That would be in case you wanted to strip all the street gear off and run a motocross rear fender on it.

That would be in case you wanted to strip all the street gear off and run a motocross rear fender on it.

Ah! Thanks DD... I guess I dont need to worry about that then :good:

...or non DOT approved tires.

...or non DOT approved tires.

Non-DOT tires --- GASP, we wouldn't do that!! :good:

Yeah I take the street stuff off when I'm racing or just in an area that I don't need the plate. That way I don't worry about breaking a blinker when I lay it down. Probablly saved enough money to pay for the green sticker already. :good:

Has anyone ever had an issue with non DOT tires?

canofwormsig7.jpg

I have not been able to find in the CA code anywhere that requires DOT approved tires. Nor have I been able to find anything that states "not for highway use" stamped tires are illegal on the street in CA (manufacturer's recommendations don't make laws in CA?). Maybe it's there, hidden in some obscure reference - but I haven't found anyone that find it (including a couple cops I know - and you think they'd know).

Other states spell it out very clearly, but CA doesn't mention it...

(Maybe I just didn't look hard enough because I didn't want to find the answer :good::good::huh: )

(manufacturer's recommendations don't make laws in CA?)

They're not making a recommendation... my educated guess is not going through the certification cuts down the paperwork on models few of their customers would think of running on the highway anyway, and gives the manufacturer more play room on figiting with the compounds later. On most gov't regulated products have certs (like a tire that is certified for heat or whatever), the manufacturer has to stick with the submitted design or reapply for and amendment or recertification if they tweak it in.

No clue on enforcement. They don't seem to go after novelty helmets either... :good:

I think if a LEO wanted to waste our time with a ticket for non DOT approved tires he could cite these sections of the vehicle code:

27500. (A) The department may adopt regulations relating to standards for pneumatic tires of a vehicle type as it determines necessary to provide for public safety.

(b ) In adopting these regulations, the department shall consider as evidence of generally accepted standards, the rules and regulations which have been adopted by the Federal Highway Administration and Rubber Manufacturers Association.

Amended Ch. 216, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

27501. (A) No dealer or person holding a retail seller's permit shall sell, offer for sale, expose for sale, or install on a vehicle for use on a highway, a pneumatic tire which is not in compliance with regulations adopted pursuant to Section 27500. This subdivision shall not apply to any person who installs on a vehicle, as part of an emergency service rendered to a vehicle upon a highway, a spare tire with which such disabled vehicle was equipped.

(b ) No person shall use on a highway a pneumatic tire which is not in conformance with such regulations.

Amended Ch. 70, Stats. 1976. Effective March 26, 1976.

I think if a LEO wanted to waste our time with a ticket for non DOT approved tires he could cite these sections of the vehicle code:

27500. (A) The department may adopt regulations relating to standards for pneumatic tires of a vehicle type as it determines necessary to provide for public safety.

(b ) In adopting these regulations, the department shall consider as evidence of generally accepted standards, the rules and regulations which have been adopted by the Federal Highway Administration and Rubber Manufacturers Association.

Amended Ch. 216, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

27501. (A) No dealer or person holding a retail seller's permit shall sell, offer for sale, expose for sale, or install on a vehicle for use on a highway, a pneumatic tire which is not in compliance with regulations adopted pursuant to Section 27500. This subdivision shall not apply to any person who installs on a vehicle, as part of an emergency service rendered to a vehicle upon a highway, a spare tire with which such disabled vehicle was equipped.

(b ) No person shall use on a highway a pneumatic tire which is not in conformance with such regulations.

Amended Ch. 70, Stats. 1976. Effective March 26, 1976.

I'm no lawyer, but I'd fight that. In my layman's interpretation 27500 says they can adopt regulations and when they adopt them, they'll consider Federal Highway Administration and Rubber Manufactures Association. Where are those regulations? This sections says they can adopt them but doesn't say what they are.

27501 (part b ) says that you can't use a tire that isn't in conformance with 27500. But like I said, 27500 says they can adopt them - those are the statues I can't find...

Other states publish it very clearly in their vehicle codes, but California doesn't (again, maybe I'm just not looking in the right places)

Kind of like that guy up in northern California that has fought tickets for no helmet (I think this is the guy) and won every time since the laws are so vague that they don't define what a helmet it.

Here it is; CVC 27500 and 27501 would be the sections an LEO would cite you for based on the following section of the California code of regulations. The California highway patrol has adopted Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 119 for tires on other than passenger cars (sorry for the long post but I just wanted to clarify that you can be cited for non-Dot tires on the highway):

13 CA ADC § 1082

13 CCR § 1082

Cal. Admin. Code tit. 13, § 1082

BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS

TITLE 13. MOTOR VEHICLES

DIVISION 2. DEPARTMENT OF THE CALIFORNIA HIGHWAY PATROL

CHAPTER 4. SPECIAL EQUIPMENT

ARTICLE 14. TIRES AND RIMS

§ 1082. New Tire Requirements.

Tires sold for use or used on vehicles shall meet the following requirements:

(a) Tires for passenger cars. Tires for passenger cars shall meet the requirements of FMVSS 109.

(b ) Tires for vehicles other than passenger cars shall meet the requirements of FMVSS 119.

© Regroovable Tires for Commercial Vehicles. Regroovable commercial vehicle tires shall meet the requirements of Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 569, and be marked at the time of manufacture with the word "regroovable" on both sidewalls.

Note: Authority and reference cited: Section 27500, Vehicle Code.

Summary of FMVSS

The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) specify other labeling requirements similar to contents and care labels for new pneumatic passenger car tires (FMVSS 109), pneumatic retreaded tires (FMVSS 117), and new pneumatic tires for vehicles other than passenger cars (FMVSS 119). Standard 109 mandates that each passenger car tire have permanently molded into both sidewalls information regarding:

size,

maximum permissible inflation pressure,

maximum load rating,

cord material,

number of plies in the sidewall and tread area,

"tubeless" or "tube-type,"

"radial," if appropriate,

DOT certification symbol,

manufacturer name or brand name and number.

In addition to Standard 109 requirements, Standard 117 requires each new retreaded tire have molded into its sidewalls the words "bias," or "bias belted" as applicable. In addition to Standard 109 requirements, Standard 119 mandates that each new pneumatic tire for vehicles other than passenger cars, namely, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, trailers, and motorcycles, have molded into both sidewalls the following information.

speed restriction if less than 55 mph,

regroovable if designed for regrooving,

a letter designating load range rating.

Here it is; CVC 27500 and 27501 would be the sections an LEO would cite you for based on the following section of the California code of regulations. The California highway patrol has adopted Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 119 for tires on other than passenger cars (sorry for the long post but I just wanted to clarify that you can be cited for non-Dot tires on the highway):

13 CA ADC § 1082

13 CCR § 1082

TITLE 13. MOTOR VEHICLES

(a) Tires for passenger cars. Tires for passenger cars shall meet the requirements of FMVSS 109.

(b ) Tires for vehicles other than passenger cars shall meet the requirements of FMVSS 119.

© Regroovable Tires for Commercial Vehicles. Regroovable commercial vehicle tires shall meet the requirements of Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 569, and be marked at the time of manufacture with the word "regroovable" on both sidewalls.

Summary of FMVSS

The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) specify other labeling requirements similar to contents and care labels for new pneumatic passenger car tires (FMVSS 109), pneumatic retreaded tires (FMVSS 117), and new pneumatic tires for vehicles other than passenger cars (FMVSS 119). Standard 109 mandates that each passenger car tire have permanently molded into both sidewalls information regarding:

size,

maximum load rating,

cord material,

In addition to Standard 109 requirements, Standard 117 requires each new retreaded tire have molded into its sidewalls the words "bias," or "bias belted" as applicable. In addition to Standard 109 requirements, Standard 119 mandates that each new pneumatic tire for vehicles other than passenger cars, namely, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, trailers, and motorcycles, have molded into both sidewalls the following information.

Ok That solves what they can site you for but has anyone ever been or know someone that has been cited for this violation. It sounds like the police don't even know the specific code to site for, but maybe some do. I was just wondering if it has ever been an issue. Got a little off topic from the original topic didn't we. :lol:

a guy I know runs non-DOT knobbies on his black DRZ... with a Superman logo on the front.

He has been stopped by the cops and Rangers to check his compliance with vehicle code (lights, with bike turned off, and blinkers/tail light) he has never had them look at his tires.

back on the original topic... are they still allowing dual-registration for bikes? I heard you weren't allowed to have both (from the DMV when I was last there)

and Rangers up North do give tickets if your plated bike does not have signals/lights... that's according to internet sources... I've never got cited for it... but we know internet sources can never be wrong...

My KLX is dual registered, and I was told at DMV that it will always have to remain that way as long as I am the registered owner.. I can't decide that I just want one or the other later.

13 CA ADC § 1082

13 CCR § 1082

TITLE 13. MOTOR VEHICLES

Summary of FMVSS

size,

maximum load rating,

cord material,

Interesting... That's the first time I've ever seen someone able to "connect the dots" on the CVC and the tires issue...

Thanks for pointing it out. I guess I can only hope the cops don't know the trail of regulations that lead them to that...

I have not been able to find in the CA code anywhere that requires DOT approved tires. Nor have I been able to find anything that states "not for highway use" stamped tires are illegal on the street in CA (manufacturer's recommendations don't make laws in CA?). Maybe it's there, hidden in some obscure reference - but I haven't found anyone that find it (including a couple cops I know - and you think they'd know).

Other states spell it out very clearly, but CA doesn't mention it...

(Maybe I just didn't look hard enough because I didn't want to find the answer :(:(:P )

From Baja Designs Website: https://www.bajadesigns.com/2005%20Web%20Si...tion_Packet.pdf

Guest crmyers

Hey guys ,I did a lot of research before getting my 450x street legal 3 months ago, the real stumbling block is it has to have a sticker that states that it complies to smog laws for the same year as your bike, with that everything else is easy. I even put together my own Dual Sport kit for about $20.00 and a lot of labor. All the stuff off a wrecked 82 almost fit my bike. There are advantages to having casts on both legs for 2 months, plenty of time to research and think how to make something work.