Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

Today's return to Desert Dash Day 2 Ride

Fred (Snaildarter) and I headed out early from Ramona because we were both on short hall pass leashes and thought 8:30 might be a bit too late to start.....we rolled away from StageCoach at ~7:15 and made it over to the Blu Inn about 9am to refill the tanks (turns out we were lucky as the rest of the gang was told the "well is dry" and were unable to gas up at the Blu Inn :D ) How can they run out of gas on a Saturday morning?!?! :D

Anyway, Fred and I pushed on......Fred wasn't able to ride all of Day 2 when we held the formal event so it was fun to introduce him to areas like Truckhaven, Fonts Point, etc. that he hadn't seen before.....we also fine tuned the GPS tracks out in the Fonts/Inspiration area......I'll deal with that clean up task when I have more time......

We got back to Stagecoach and found the rest of the gang was packing up.....turns out they got stiffed for gas at the Blu Inn and had to cut their ride short.....one of them can eleborate on that.....and Numbskull's fate....

Gotta run - Here's a link to some pics

A few favorites from today:

Inspiration Point

0315Ride025.jpg

The desert is in full bloom:

0315Ride018.jpg

Fish Creek

0315Ride008.jpg

More Fish Creek - THE WALL

0315Ride009.jpg

Fred maintaining the delicate balance at Fonts Point

0315Ride023.jpg

Heading down Jasper Trail.....what a blast

0315Ride029.jpg

Can a Mod move this over to Write-ups stories and photos section. Thanks, Ken

Can a Mod move this over to Write-ups stories and photos section. I will continue there. Ken

Whoops....guess I posted in the wrong section.....sorry about that.....I was in a hurry to get it done before the "family police/watch dogs" came down on me for "cyber riding" after already being gone all day riding (in a non cyber fashion) with Fred....

Ken, I'm curious to know who all showed up for the 2nd wave and whether anyone has the real/true story on Numbskull?!?!......the moderators can move it where it belongs later.....

Alex, Big Mike, Emil(?), Jim, etc - nice to meet you guys....

There were 8 of us when we left the Stagecoach Trails campground. The people at the campground were nice people and happy to have us park there. The weather was perfect for riding, it was a little breezy and chilly getting dressed, but not noticable after getting on the bike.

Crawdaddy and Snaildarter were long gone before I got there at 8.

Joliet (Ken), Oldridr (Jim), Papa Alex (Alex), xr650l Bum (Mike), Numbskull (Mike), Barry (?) :D , and a friend (sorry its a memory thing) came down from Palm Springs, and we had a new rider Amir join us that rode his bike out from La Jolla. I don't know if he has a website name yet. It was his first time in the dirt with his Holnda 650L, nice guy and good to have him along. Although Heart Attack Hill probably isn't the best place for your first dirt ride, he did well and came back with his bike and body intact. The pace was a little slower than anticipated, but thats what makes it an adventure. Barry, probably the most experienced rider in the group was kind enough to sweep for us. He is also a riding coach and gave the Amir a few pointers.

xr650l Bum was loaded heavy, doing a preride for the "beach to river ride" He was carrying camping gear, spare clothes, water, fuel, ect. However he was able to lighten the load a little comming down heart attack hill :D .

Numbskull had to leave us in Fishcreek and go on ahead to take care of his dogs. Evidently he ran into some trouble along the way and broke his leg B) , they told us this when we got back to the campground. We got to the Blu Inn a litle after noon and the gas station was out of fuel. I had been on reserve for some time by then. Amir was exhausted from wrestling his Honda through the sand, so we decided to head back to the trucks and fuel jugs. We had a 30+ mph head wind all the way back. After stopping a couple of times to roadside fuel my thirsty husky from others tanks. We make it back to the campground. We considered doing Oriflame and Rodriquez trials, but decided to call it a day and spend some money in the campground store instead.

I didn't take any pictures of the ride but perhaps some others did, that they will share, I saw Bum and Amir with cameras out and Barry was shooting some video. The flowers blooming in the desert were beautiful, I wish now I had taken the time to snap some pictures.

Hopefully we will hear from the others to find out how the ride was for them. Ken

Can a Mod move this over to Write-ups stories and photos section. I will continue there. Ken

story on Numbskull?!?!......the moderators can move it where it belongs later.....

Kind of all second hand info at this time. Heard he hit a guardrail and had compound fractures of the tib and fib. They considered life-flighting him out but took him by ambulance instead. Heard he made it back to the campground on his own ???? He was on a kick-start only Honda 650. Also heard there were some trama surgens camped next to him that helped him out.

I am hesitant to even post this information since I wasn't there and don't know the facts. So take it with a grain of salt, and maybe Mike will post up with the facts when he is feeling better. Hope you heal well Mike.

Ken

First thing is I hope Mike aka Numbskull is ok. I did not get the whole story, but if he kick started that bike(he was having trouble starting before) after breaking his leg he deserves a manhood award.

I got there early. I did not want to pack thier lot, so I parked at the trail head.

post-174-1205772651_thumb.jpg

This was some of us leaving the camp ground.

post-174-1205772776_thumb.jpgpost-174-1205772861_thumb.jpg

Numbskull climbing the rocks, then showing us how to properly lay the bike down.

post-174-1205773033_thumb.jpgpost-174-1205773120_thumb.jpg

Barry then newbie Amir getting a helping hand

This is where I had issues. I took off first thinking I would hurry down the drop and snap off pictures. In my haste I pulled the clutch and just went down the drop. I was going to fast. In my mind I was thinking I will just ride it out when I get to the bottom. It was ok until.

post-174-1205773367_thumb.jpg

Just to the left of Snaildarter there is a big bolder. I hit that at speed wich in turn launched me into the air. High speed, heavy, with no contact with mother earth. Gravity took over and when I landed I ended up crashing into the rocks to his left at the bottom.

post-174-1205773665_thumb.jpgpost-174-1205773764_thumb.jpg

Completely tweeked bars to the left. Tore off the bags on the left. Destroyed front headlight assembly, smashing it into the instrument gauges causing them to snap in half. Nice!

I hurried up and got the bike out of the way. I tried to be quick about fixing so people did not have to wait. I did not get the bars tight enough and had issues with them the rest of the day. I must of done something electrical, as the bike had starting issues later in the ride.

post-174-1205774046_thumb.jpg

One of the rally points

We then headed to the blue inn. Joilet chose the deepest sand he could find. Thanks Ken!

Blue Inn out of gas. We called and headed back on the street. Filling Ken's bike on the way.

post-174-1205774294_thumb.jpg

This guy must of run out of gas and left the bike.

Even though I bashed the bike up I learned alot. I did keep up the little dirt bikes pretty well for weighing in at about 750lbs. Loved my new tires. I did get lucky and bought a whole new front end assembly with guages for 60.0 delivered. Nice!

Was dissapointed that none of my compadres showed up to practice with me.

Hope your doin ok mike, ( numbskull) shoot me a pm if you need anything!!! hope you give the full write - up of what happend when your feeling up to it . And i second that manhood award if you rode that 650r with a broken leg :blink: !!!!

and to the other mike ( 650bum ) That sux did the crash ruin those new atv bars or just bend them a little???

Just curious how they held up!!!! I'm looking into a set like those!!!!

and to the other mike ( 650bum ) That sux did the crash ruin those new atv bars or just bend them a little???

Just curious how they held up!!!! I'm looking into a set like those!!!!

The crash did not ruin the bars at all. The antivibe risers let the bars twist without bending. I just emailed the guy who sold me my bars. He just sold out of that bend, wich blows because I missed the auction for the last set(too busy). I will keep my eye out since now I know you are looking for the same.

Mike (Numbskull) if you need any help please call.

I took some video of the ride but don't have any editing software. Thinking about buying PowerDirector 6. Anyone have any opinions on good easy editing software?

Dang it! I should have gone with you guys. :blink:

That looks fun.

I ended up going to Lake Elsinore MX Park.

Here is my first try at video on the web.

Thanks Sandiegoland.

Well Done! <_<

Here is my first try at video on the web.

Thanks Sandiegoland.

Nice video Barry. Thanks for posting it. Now we need to hear from Amir and see his pics. <_< Ken

Guest Numbskull

First and most importantly Thank You to all who helped me through the worst week of my life!!

Thanks for the calls, messages, e-mails etc. When I got out of the hospital we started

building a time sensitive order for over 30 Ruff Racks which was shipped a day early!!

What Happened? after I split off from the group I headed west on the street, the wind was

blowing so hard I had to hunker down to cut through. Finally I entered the canyon and was

able ride upright. next thing I know I got hit by a blast of wind in a corner which changed

my line so I leaned over as far as I could and tried to make it. My leg got smashed between

the bike and the guard rail. So I sat there until some people showed up and out of 3 trucks

none could take my bike back to camp so I had it started and rode it back to camp. When I

got there people took over called 911 offered to take care of my dogs and loaded my van.

Then the bad part--due to the wind all the choppers were grounded so they took me to

Escondido in an ambulance it took 75 minutes. They were ready for me and after a few

questions that part was over. If it wasnt for my knee brace and strong boots, my injury would have been a lot worse.

Michael

619-850-2742

If it wasnt for my knee brace and strong boots, my injury would have been a lot worse.

You're a stud for riding back to camp.....that must've hurt like hell :(

Glad you're back on the mend :ok: ......hopefully everyone will take notice - there's a pay-off to be had for wearing proper riding gear even though it's sometimes costly/hot/cumbersome :declare:

Glad to hear you're on the mend.

There were some mighty nasty gusts of wind that day.

One about ripped Chris's helmet off his head and had me doing a half lane two-step moments later. Wouldn't want to have that hit me while leaned over in the middle of a turn.

Mend fast. ATGATT

/Fred

Too bad about your misfortune. I have had a really bad injury and I know how long recovery can take.

Met for lunch yesterday with mike ! ( numbskull ) After looking at his leg after surgery dont know how he rode that bike back man, ( deff got the manhood award :declare: ) or drove his van to meet me and my girl for lunch yesterday ! :ok: ( driving with his left leg :( ) It was good seeing you yesterday , and the food was gooooood !!! We ate at the Bamboo Hut in mira mesa, my first time there and the teriyaki chicken was goooood !!!

heal up quick buddy,

jay