Levvy

Lunchtime dualsporting around Carlsbad area?

Does anyone know of any fun dirt roads in the Carlsbad/San Marcos area? I work near Palomar Airport and I'd love to find some nearby riding I can hit during lunch on the KLR. Not looking for anything gnarly, just some decent public access roads I can tool around on.

Does anyone know of any fun dirt roads in the Carlsbad/San Marcos area? I work near Palomar Airport and I'd love to find some nearby riding I can hit during lunch on the KLR. Not looking for anything gnarly, just some decent public access roads I can tool around on.

That makes at least 5 of us that work close together;

Levvy

Joliet

Schwinn

Crawdaddy

Rexeverything

If you find a place let us know, I would like to find a legal place, close, to ride also. :lol: Ken

Gosh, let me know if you find some. I used to ride a bunch of fire roads and trails in the area back in the 70s and 80s. You could ride from Olivenhein to San Marcos and Rancho Santa Fe to Poway, Escondido or San Marcos, and San Marcos to Vista for that matter. Good times. I think most of that stuff has been fenced and or developed by now. :) I used to ride my trail bike to small ponds in the middle of nowhere with some fishing gear strapped to the rear fender and fish for bass and bluegill. :lol: The best....riding and fishing.

I work at Palomar Airport Rd and El Camino Real.

There is a spot in North County that I ride regularly. It is the same one that Hammer has led some folks on. Technically off limits, but there are lots of motorcycles and 4x4s out there all the time.

Now that daylight savings time is about on us, after work rides will be possible soon too.

I'm up for some lunch time rides if there are others interested. I can either ride my Husky to work, or load the GasGas into the truck and head over there. It's about 8 miles from the Palomar Apt Rd/ECR intersection.

PM me for details if desired. I have GPS tracks and a Google Earth map of the area that I can send.

Daryl

After work riding might work for me but not lunch break riding (other than a quick spin, nothing technical). It takes me about 15 minutes to gear up, 15 minutes to get there, 15 minutes to get back and 10 more to get out of my riding gear. Doesn't leave much time for riding.

I am actually going to try to get Tuesdays off this spring and ride most of them. I think it will be easier on my family if I can get most of my riding in during the week, and spend more weekend time with them. :lol: Ken

No ----, I work right next to you :lol: I'm in the big office park with all the ViaSat buildings. I'm in 6197, the one non-ViaSat building.

Daryl, let me know if you want to meet up.

After work riding might work for me but not lunch break riding (other than a quick spin, nothing technical). It takes me about 15 minutes to gear up, 15 minutes to get there, 15 minutes to get back and 10 more to get out of my riding gear. Doesn't leave much time for riding.

That sounds great once it starts staying light later. I can't get off work until 6, so it might be a few weeks before it stays light enough for a full ride for me.

No ----, I work right next to you :lol: I'm in the big office park with all the ViaSat buildings. I'm in 6197, the one non-ViaSat building.

Sounds like the Twin Oaks Valley is worth checking out. I'll probably do a slow-spin this Friday in the KLR (I can take a long lunch if I need to) and see how it looks - Daryl, let me know if you want to meet up.

That sounds great once it starts staying light later. I can't get off work until 6, so it might be a few weeks before it stays light enough for a full ride for me.

I'll check my schedule and let you know how Friday looks. I work at ViaSat so I'm right next door :)

I'll check my schedule and let you know how Friday looks. I work at ViaSat so I'm right next door :curtsey:

I'm a "ViaSatian" :rolleyes: too.....as is Brandon (VistaCArider on this site).....XTSteve (who really needs to change his handle to KTMSteve) is also in the neighborhood....

but I agree with Ken, not enough time to hassle with/pull off a ride during the noon hour.....looking forward to the occasional post work spin.....

People, remember we have a Members Only Forum for certain types of Discussion.

Also, PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES.......there shall be no mention of riding in questionable areas on this PUBLIC FORUM.

Another hint about Google Earth.....it does not show you locked gates, posted signs, and whether it is legal to ride on trails......it is the responsibility of the rider to know whether an area is legal to ride in !!

Some posts above were edited and/or deleted due to content.

Levvy

Joliet

Schwinn

Crawdaddy

Rexeverything

Make that 6. I work up in Carlsbad off Palomar Airport road right near El Camino Real. Keep me in the loop ya'll! :rolleyes:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

The best dualsport ride in Carlsbad, that is legal is to the beach to surf. Good surf all week. Combo swells.3'-4' with some larger set waves.

Ride and surf. TRUE DUAL-SPORT! :D

Surf before work,at work,lunch time, after work, (24-7) :scratch_one-s_head:

post-465-1204781637_thumb.jpg

Hammer, you are the Tri-Sporter.......ridin' Dirt, Street & Waves :scratch_one-s_head:

Levvy

Joliet

Schwinn

Crawdaddy

Rexeverything

Make that 6. I work up in Carlsbad off Palomar Airport road right near El Camino Real. Keep me in the loop ya'll! :)

Make it 7, off of Faraday; by the old C'bad police gun range for those who remember. I'm down for an after work ride too, but were??