Beezzz

WARNING: CHECK YOUR SPARE TIRE

Just a suggestion, everyone should check your spare tire's air pressure and age of your tire.  I was coming home from Bagster's ABDSP ride from South Carrizo Creek at sunset when I demolished a rear tire going up hwy 8 between Ocotillo and Jacumba.  Changing the tire in the dark only to find the spare tire had 10 lbs of air in it was, well, deflating!  I nursed the truck up the freeway for 5 miles, with the emergency lights flashing, at 30 mph driving on the shoulder to Jacumba.  The tire had full tread but was 11 years old and at risk of delaminating from age, compounding the aging composition of the tire construction with the very low air pressure, it was at risk for destruction from side wall overheating and another blowout.  There is nothing like a tire change in the dark with flash light with freeway speed vehicles passing you by with a very questionable spare tire as your rescue device.  Returned home by 8:30 pm in the rain.  It was a long day that started at 5:30 am.   Again, a suggestion, check your spare tire, I wish I had.

Beezzz

This is one of those "I should do that" things that has been bouncing around in my empty head. The spare on my truck is the original from 1997.  

Couple of years back I had to mount my 1993 spare. I always check inflation on all 5 tires at the same time. I only used it for about 1k miles. then replaced the lot. I was afraid it would blowout due to it's age. New spare 2yrs old now

Good advice. 

Check our spare tubes too, How long has that spare been folded up that you might be relying on on the trail?

Happily I have a compressor in my winch so I can air down/up in the jeep.  Have been able to use it for others a few times while out on the trail or on the road when it turned out that their spare was flat also.

Has been a good reminder for me to check my spares in the truck and mini-van every now and again.

But, this reminds me that in addition to the various goodies I keep in the F-250, a small compressor wouldn't be a bad idea in addition to picking up another tire plug kit so I can have one in each vehicle.

Yup keep a cheap cigarette lighter inflator in truck need to remember plugs now too thanks bags, put oversized tires on truck and new dodge truck comes with a skinny spare