Sign in to follow this  
MacDuncan

Nice lap/loop (big bike ride Sunday)

One of those Sunday mornings..... when a nice lap on the bike with some good folks makes it a great day! 

A scattered start and finish for MacDuncan, Greenhorn, Thumper, and Zubb, but great fun in the middle.  

Green met Zubb and did a mini exploration on the way to Pine Valley and Mac roamed out hiway 94 to Campo to take the long way to Pine Valley. Thumper was enjoying his post Breakfast buzz at Majors after a little ride with other riders when we all gathered. Maybe a big bike and 3 mediums would be a better title :)

A casual ride up to Sunrise Hiway up through Pine Creek and a truly nice wind along Sunrise with bright Fall Colors and nice cool temps. Once down Sunrise, we rolled over to Buckman, and then Corral Canyon, 4 corners, and then to the top of Los Pinos.  We were rewarded with an invite from a super nice fella to the top of the tower to help with Fire lookout.  It is always a special treat to look out to the horizons, the Ocean, Downtown, every local peak... even other countries, from the top of the tower.  Corte Madera is truly spectacular from up there, well, it is anyway :) !  4 bikes resting below. IMG_3358.JPG

Explorers:

IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

As Zubb stated, 

Great ride today guys! Thank you!     Let's rinse and repeat SOON!

I would agree.  We returned to the city in scattered form, just like we arrived, but richer from the experience.  Thanks for the Loop.

Things came together nice and it was a really good ride!

Here are a few scenic pictures and one of Thumper, MacDuncan and Zubb up top.

100_2566.JPG

100_2574.JPG

100_2571.JPG

Funny how the simplest little "I'm going for a ride" can turn into a whole fun adventure in half a day.

The broken twisted blacktop sandy gravel washboard 'route' was just awesome for me as I learn how to handle the GS outside of my road riding background.  I discovered a whole 'nother motorcycle today and I have a little fever going on.  I needs more.

Norm in the tower was great.  Happy to share all kinds of stories and info about the area all around.  Fires, lost people, all kinds of stuff he see's from up there.  You could tell he was happy to talk to people as well.  

Greenhorn wasn't in the tower photo cause... well someone had to hold the horses so they didn't run away.

I learned a few things today.

1. pick a line, point and shoot.  Trust the bike.  Greenhorn and I tested a little stretch of stuff that I surely shouldn't have been on..... but ended well enough.
  2. you actually can get both wheels off the ground on a GS.  Done properly, it's all good fun.  Done improperly, things get interesting.
  3. when juicing it off a little berm across the road and the front wheelies up much more than you  expected.... it's a really bad idea to chop the throttle.
  4. don't trust an X grip for your nice iPhone on a ram mount.  That moment when you just chopped the throttle and the front slams down?? well, the X grip won't keep the phone on the bike.  One busted screen and dented phone body.  Well,,, at least I saw it fly off the bike and could go back and find it.

It was great to meet and ride with you guys today.  Thanks for sharing some of your stash with me.  Can't wait to do more.

IMG_1920.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

IMG_1921.jpg

53 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Yup zubb x grip for phones are horrible, 

If the phone is in a case (i.e. makes the x grip nice and tight) and you have a tether on your phone (which you should have for any mount IMO), you should be fine. I have well over 5000 off road miles on my x grip set up with no failures.

yeh, it's my own dam fault. I have about 30,000 problem free miles on my x grip/phone combo and have always hated cases with a passion.  All cases.  And screen protectors.  But I've always been a road rider.

I actually looked at the old crusty "life case" my wife used for awhile  in garage but thought .... naw, no one will show up so I'll be riding alone and stay on pavement.  Kismet.  It was fate I guess.  So I'll pay the $100 stupid tax and get a new screen and have learned my lesson.

I'll eventually replace the x grip though.  I just hate how the thing pretty much always holds down one of the volume buttons or the power button unless you move the phone way over to the edge.  If you have one, you know what I mean.