Sign in to follow this  
Greenhorn

Saturday Morning 9/17 Dual Sport Ride

What am I suggesting as Dual Sport? Country roads, side roads, moderate fire roads, minimal if any freeways. I’m riding around on a 430lb KLR that doesn’t even have its break in miles yet and that's about all the DS miles I have too.  No flogging or thrashing, a somewhat leisurely ride with maybe a little zip or trail here and there.  Not about point A to point B, but all the ride between A and B.

Starting in Santee at about 7am up to Sunrise Highway via Vejas Grade. I was thinking riding down Buckman Springs over and up to Cibbets Flatt Campground, never been there and come to find out it’s up the road always saw the hang gliders launch from. Always wondered what was up there.

Could always then cross the road for a ride up to Four Corners a ride around the Fire Roads that loop between Bobcat and Corral Canyon? Not sure conditions there, used to be reasonable. Another option could be skipping Four Corners and extending time in Cuyamacas. 

Back up Buckman Springs road to Pine Valley and up Pine Creek, or Buckman Springs to Sunrise Highway to Lake Cuyamaca If time permits i.e. skipping Four Corners, up to Julian and back down to Lake Cuyamaca on Engineers Road, anyone ridden on Engineers Road? Back down 79 to Descanso…

That’s what I got as that what I know around there. Anyone know about Middle Peak Fire Road Loop, Azalea Spring or Lookout Rd off the 79?

Open to any other as described “Dual Sport” ride areas - ideas.

Argh. Spent so much time on other's DR's in the past two weeks, mines just now making it to the final stages.

If I get 'er finished up, I'm in........but lurking at this point.

Dan took us on Engineer (I went on my Road Kouch) and it's a nice, windy back road.

Those are all great roads that you'll enjoy on the Klr. 

Middle peak fire loop is the only one I'm not familiar with or we called it somethings else.

consider the hard break in. 

Heres my initial break in ride just shy of three years ago. 

Hello Ken, hope all is going well?

Sorry I can't make this one Patrick. Just had Cataract surgery on my left eye. Next weekend I'll be ready to ride again.

Ken, get that bike done so we can ride.

La posta is pretty Mello.

i could meet you at the end of Buckman , ride up to where the hang gliders meet,

i will check back in an hour too see if you made progress.

Patrick, Endineers is a narrow paved road. Very scenic and windy. Fun.

Middle peak loop is hiking and mountain biking only. Or at least it use to be.