Bp619

father's day idyllwild heat torture test

My wife asked me what I wanted to do for father's day a couple weeks ago and I immediately knew I'm going riding so got the day free and started planning. Thought of doing a trip down to valle de t for tacos threw laguna but with Temps over 105 decided to keep it in the states and hope for a little cooler temps. Convinced @skeelo221 and @Danmule to tag along didn't take much so plan was a long day to idyllwild and back. Meet the 2 in ramona they trucked up I rode from la mesa, we left ramona at 8am already warm probably in high 80s. hit pamo to Santa ysabel to black canyon then over to warner on our way to dirt almost got in a head on with forestry ranger pickup some pretty tight corners on that twisty asphalt  and up to anza. Quick refill of water and fuel then we were off to thomas and down rouse hill down to the 74. Damn rouse hill is pretty tore up the heavy equipment scrapped  the entire trail and made every corner "moon powder sand". Crossed the 74 to bee canyon and up san jacinto trail into pine cover was getting a little cooler on our climb up. Meet my dad in idyllwild for lunch he rode his street bike up. After quick lunch we were off it was hot and the forestry roads were in pretty bad shape so decided to just slab to anza. Once on the dirt in anza I was in lead and came up to top of a hill and a tweaker in a s10 was coming in crazy hot all over the place and almost had my second head on this one was very close and I saved in and ended up in the embankment, and hit the dirt back to warner. It was crazy hot between warner springs and mesa grade took black canyon into ramona and ditched the guys and took the slab home. Man was it nice to come inside to an AC house and nice shower 268 miles total for me.

20160619_095200.jpg

20160619_140638.jpg

Quite the epic day.  Not surprised that Rouse was silty.  It gets that way often, even without heavy equipment scraping the surface.Lucky for you that Bee Canyon wasn't also covered in floury silt, as it often is also. 

Ramona got up to 109 where I was, today.  Glad I wasn't riding in that heat.  It was bad enough, standing rib cage deep in the lake, while fishing.

Love the loop. Hate the heat. After AZBDR two weeks ago, I have no interest in riding in the heat for now.

Fun day!  Crazy hot so thankfully the ride wasn't too technical.  If anything the smell of the pines up in Idyllwild made the trip worth it.  A swimming pool and margarita bar would have made the end of the trip better but what can you do.

Glad you are OK...that was very scary with the S10.  

By tweaker Brian really means tweaker!  The guy gets out of the truck with no shirt on, pants falling off.  He had sand and dirt all over his body and he was mumbling about how was in a bad place right now and shouldn't have been driving like that.  VERY strange.  One of those things you can't really avoid no matter how careful you are but I'm glad this one came out ok.

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

Love the loop. Hate the heat. After AZBDR two weeks ago, I have no interest in riding in the heat for now.

Yeah heat was bad I feel bad for you guys dealing with that heat for 5 days that's brutal. Atleast the trip and sights seemed worth it

1 hour ago, Bp619 said:

Yeah heat was bad I feel bad for you guys dealing with that heat for 5 days that's brutal. Atleast the trip and sights seemed worth it

Oh yea, it was definitely worth it. We all feel like our accomplishment was even more significant because of the heat.

Still not much interested in riding though. It will come back.

29 minutes ago, skeelo221 said:

Sounds cold.

Ok, how about 70 degrees Fahrenheit?

All in all, good day. Bp's not joking,  that moondust hid those ruts & rocks from my street front tire ( scorpion mt90 ) like nobodies business. Other then the heat, tweeker and losing my front fender bag it was a fun day. Thanks to bp619 for the invite and the lead around.      Yeeah, a pool and a margarita would have been awsome.