Dylan

I want a 450!

Congrats on the new bike. Are you gonna try and ride again this saturday?

You can come try my CRF 450.

I wanna try that little 250 you have .

Meet me at the culdesac after the snow melts. PV is covered in 2 inches of snow right now.

You can ride the 250 anytime you want, come pick it up!

I'm going to try and get out this weekend for sure.... Not sure where though. This bike has been sitting for the past 3 months, and I want to dump the tank and completely go through the carb and see where the jetting is at for my own knowledge. I might crack open the valve cover and check the valves too.

Grats! That's a ton of bike for $2k. Excellent baseline for your first 450.

I'm going to try and get out this weekend for sure.... Not sure where though. This bike has been sitting for the past 3 months, and I want to dump the tank and completely go through the carb and see where the jetting is at for my own knowledge. I might crack open the valve cover and check the valves too.

smart yeah every used bike I buy I normally take at least a week or so going threw everything checking out valves and either replace every fluid or checking, just for my piece of mind. It's hard to have a new bike torn apart and not ride it but better in the end. Only bike I rode straight away and didn't check anything was a ktm 525 I bought and damn did I regret it. First trip out front brake faded and was gone, coolant overheated and the jetting was so bad it got around 20mpg and almost left me stranded in anza borrego, bike also sat like 6 months before I bought

Nice looking bike. Thumpertalk is a huge resource for WRs. They've got everything you'll ever want to know in a sticky at the top of the forum.

I really appreciate everyone's input. Breakdown is starting tonight.

My maintenance itenerary is:
-Fuel System cleanup (tank & carb).

-Oil Change

-Coolant drain/fill.

-Valve Inpsection/Adjustment

-Brake fluid inspection, possible flush

Anything I should add to the list? Spark Plug?

I noticed the bike was a little chattery when I heard it run, which to me meant it needed the valve adjustment. However, I'm reading that these motors are rather noisy and the skidplate reflects the sound more. Any input on this? Front forks were rebuilt in the Fall.

Looks like good list I would personally just replace brakes fluid quick and easy and won't have to do for another year or 2. If valves are in spec which they probably are noise could by from cam chain tensioner and I would recommend getting a manual one cheap only like $50 and never fail. I've ridden a wr450 couple times and find them to always be little noisy

Thanks. I'll pickup some brake fluid while I'm at it.

Skidplates definitely magnify the sound.

Thanks, good addition. I REALLY want new graphics for it, but I figure I'll be dropping it a few times during my learning curve. The plastics look good from far,but they are pretty scuffed up all over. So maybe I'll order new and start over.

Clutch perch pivot clean and lube,

Caliper posts clean & lube,

Inspect rear wheel bearing & spoke tightness,

Drive Chain lube/adust,

Inspect/replace muffler packing,

Remove stickers and slap on SDAR sticker.

Spokes tight?

Front & Rear sprocket teeth worn down?

Chain stretched?

Remove stickers and slap on kKug sticker

To be completely honest I'm in over my head on this carburetor. There are several pieces with numbers on them and none of them coincide with what I see online. The center large with hex is a weird star symbol with 162.5. Does anyone know what the should be?

Bottom right within plastic is 65.

Top middle within plastic is 50

4DEB5069-7D43-48D5-A60B-90D801AE4F05.jpg

That star stamped into the Main jet is actually a K for 'Kehin' size 162.5

The other lower jet is known as the pilot jet size 65, clean or replace this.

The plastic thing is a splash guard.

Those jets were changed to help tune the aftermarket pipe.

Make sure that when you pump it , that it squirts for a few feet.

Set the air /fuel out about 2 1/2 turns, factory.

That star stamped into the Main jet is actually a K for 'Kehin' size 162.5

The other lower jet is known as the pilot jet size 65, clean or replace this.

The plastic thing is a splash guard.

Those jets were changed to help tune the aftermarket pipe.

Make sure that when you pump it , that it squirts for a few feet.

Set the air /fuel out about 2 1/2 turns, factory.

Thanks. I'm seeing jetting around where I am, but no one has what I have. Bike has the free mods done to it, including airbox snorkel removed, gray wire to put it into YZ map pulled, and air injection pump removed. Someone did all the mods I wanted to do. Looks like it's just a slip on pipe. No idea on anything else.

Should I start buttoning it up with these jets, or should I change them to something else? Not going to lie, it was a major PAIN to get the carb out. I never want to do this again.

In other news, just did the valve clearance spec and I'm pleasantly surprised to report they're all within spec so that is phenomenal.

You may want to add bearing maintenance to the list. Swing arm, linkage, and steering bearings may need a clean and lube.

What jetting are you seeing for where you ride?

I've no idea what stock is or what might be ideal for that bike with those mods. Check the plug if it's a nice tan color the jetting is right.

Here's the plug I also bought a new one today. It was not very tight in the head

E2B492BA-54E1-422B-9CD9-53396F027815.jpg

Very nice and congrats on the new bike, let me know if your planning to ride this weekend. I was thinking about doing a day trip Saturday or Sunday with my yz250 to Ocotillo Wells or superstition.

+1 pasta pilot..

Yes leave all the jets the same size (for now.

Because it was running great before im sure.

Taking the carb off takes less than 15 mins, 1/2hr clean it, 15 throw it back on.

(Once you've done it a thousand times a year) write down the main needle clip position , the jet sizes, and the turns out on the air scew for your own sanity.

The plug may be black from idling and running it with the choke on for a sale,

Scrub it with a wire brush kinda good and throw it back in (after checking the gap) unless you bought new one already.

The idle jet is a little large for my own recollection but you won't know it's tuning curve until you've ridden it a couple laps.

Also inspect torque @the kickstarter bolt.

With a large pilot jet you can turn in the air fuel a turn if its rich,(while the carb is in the bike).

Maybe get an hr meter also to keep in time with maintenance.

I did not pull the needle, but I suppose I will tonight if it needs to be done. New plug will be installed, and I'll throw this in the parts bin for backup. The coolant reservoir was bone dry, but radiator has fluid in it. Might be a leak in the hose or something.

Thumper, I may take you up on the 15 min removal challenge on this bike. I have the whole rear subframe, and shock removed to get it out. I'm easily into the removal, valve check, and mild carb clean for 5 hours at this point.