Miriam ( tdublady ) and I are going riding Sunday to get us some dirt time. I want to do some practicing with her so she can join the "big boys", as she puts it. Our plans are going to Lark, so if your out there say hello. I think I'll be on my TTR 2 fiddy.

What time are you heading out?

Miriam is picking me up at 9ish and we might be stopping at Major's in Pine Valley for breakfast. Probably at Lark around 11:00ish. All are welcome to join for breakfast and then ditching Miriam out on the trail!

Just kidding. We'll be going pretty slow.

I may be out there practicing something called a "jap zap", something tells me I'm going to be dumping my bike a couple times.

I may be out there practicing something called a "jap zap", something tells me I'm going to be dumping my bike a couple times.

I had to google jap zap and see if you were being serious or not never heard anyone call the move using a kicker a jap zap. Have fun be safe

I'll be there...jap zap be damned.

You'll have to point me in the direction of that trail from your video, before the rocks. Looked fun.

We will be leaving a little earlier, should be at Major's for breakfast around 9:15-9:30 if anyone wants to join us.

Jap Zap is a great technique applicable to both trials and enduro bikes. Not sure where the term originated, but it was one of the first things I got drilled on when starting to ride the trials bike. Really cool because you can clear bigger obstacles than you can wheelie over without hitting the skid plate.

That is, try to wheelie over a big rock and clank, the skid plate comes down and hits the rock. But drive the front tire into the big rock about 2/3 of the way up and let the suspension compress, then give it a zap of throttle as it's rebounding and boing, the bike magically floats right over with no bashing of skid plate.

The trials term that kills me is the spatter or splat. Probably named after what happens if you get it wrong.

That's the move used to get big height for tall faces and where the bike gets rotated very high - sometimes past vertical so the rear tire is leading the front tire. http://www.wdtc.org.au/trials-training/splatter-splat-trials-technique.htm

Can't quite bring myself to go for that one, because splatter is certainly what's going to happen :(

nice!! what I really love are the physics of these maneuvers. the importance of loading the wheels, bike and suspension and revolving around the CG. good link Daryl

I like the slow speed.and full use of the suspension.

definitely get more G's to my front fork. the golden tire really conforms to the rock surface.

Being able to conquer obsticals in front of me is nice.

Also there's feeling associated with being able to handle larger obsticals; very empowering.

Wondering if this move is easier or better with Suspension set harder or softer?

I'm guessing softer but haven't studied my analysis completely, so more research and expirementation on this hypothesis is necessary 2 form a full conclusion.

The suspension on trials bikes are kind of like pogo sticks where you don't have a lot of compression or rebound damping because most of the maneuvers are done at close to walking speed.

Riding at faster speeds on the trails, you'll find that the compression and/or rebound damping that worked great at a walking speed starts to become limiting at 30 MPH.

Similarly, the higher damping settings on an enduro bike that work great at the faster speeds encountered when blasting about some single track don't give you the springy rebound at walking speed that lets the trials bike bounce around on the rocks.