Mikey777

KTM 990 Adventure Oil Burp?

On my recent Death Valley trip, we stopped the bike after about a mile on a dirt road, got off, and were milling about when I noticed a puddle of oil on the ground under the bike (near the right/front side of the chassis and directly under the skid plate. It was about a 4 inch circle in the dirt). I tasted it just to make sure it was motor oil and not brake fluid or gas. Definitely motor oil. I looked close and there was a few streaks of oil inside the skid plate and there were also some drips on the front outside of the skid plate. I checked the oil cap..It was on tight with no leaks and the level was on the lower side, but still above the min. line.

I cleaned off the oil on the front of the skid plate and kept an eye out for additional leaks, but it didn't happen again. I checked again after getting home...No additional leaks. When I had the bike torn down for the oil change, I couldn't find any leaks and it isn't leaking after the oil change either.

Any idea what it might have been?

I am thinking it was the crankcase breather valve just relieving after a hitting bumpy washboard section...

Overfilled the oil recently? Even a little will puke some out the top.

Or bad/blown seal?

But, yes, get a gremlin bell..."It couldn't hoit!"

If it did come from breather hose, how did it get up there ? Lay it down ? It's gotta get past the rings to get up there to be blown out doesn't it ?

I didn't overfill the oil. I did add some after to make sure I was topped off, but within spec. No leaks after the oil top off and before the oil change.

The crankcase vent is higher/up in the airbox, so if it came out of there, it would have to go past the rings. The motor is running like a top, lots of power.

During my oil change there was very little metallic on the magnetic oil plug, no big shavings, chunks of ring, etc. on the plug or screens. Everything looked normal and is running fine.

I did have a laydown the last time I rode. (LB witnessed it...It was a dosy). So the bike was on its side, tilted downward into a rut for a while as I walked off the crash). That might have been it...

I didn't overfill the oil. I did add some after to make sure I was topped off, but within spec. No leaks after the oil top off and before the oil change.

The crankcase vent is higher/up in the airbox, so if it came out of there, it would have to go past the rings. The motor is running like a top, lots of power.

During my oil change there was very little metallic on the magnetic oil plug, no big shavings, chunks of ring, etc. on the plug or screens. Everything looked normal and is running fine.

I did have a laydown the last time I rode. (LB witnessed it...It was a dosy). So the bike was on its side, tilted downward into a rut for a while as I walked off the crash). That might have been it...

It was! I was proud you got up and rode away from that one. That's when I said Mikey is a keeper :heh:

Now, as for your problem. One time at band camp, when I screwed the oil cap down on my 950A, the rubber o-ring got tweaked and failed to seal properly. When I was riding, oil was forced out and ran down the motor (behind the fairings) to the skid plate, eventually ending up on the ground.

I'll bet that's it then. Keep a little bit of an eye on it but I'm gonna say you are ok.