Sign in to follow this  
Bluhdow

New Battery Error

I bought a new battery for my DRZ400. Went with the stock version:

• Yuasa YT7B-BS AGM Battery

When I was filling the battery with the provided acid I spilled a good amount of it. Not most of it. Maybe a bit less than half. But it was definitely a material amount. How, you ask? Well when the acid container was upside down and filling I followed the advice of an internet video which suggested poking a hole in the top of the acid container to allow the acid to fill the cells more quickly. Well that was a bad plan. The acid quickly started spilling out the top of the battery. Almost as if the cells were too full...but I suspect that isn't the case. My guess is that the cells were filling too quickly and the air wasn't able to escape fast enough.

After this failure I cleaned up the battery acid on the ground and capped the battery. It sat on my trickle charger all night and when I woke up this morning the charger indicated that the battery still wasn't charged.

Any advice? Will it never charge and I'll need a new battery? Can I get more acid somewhere and top off the cells? Is that a bad idea now that the battery is already capped and charging?

If I do need another battery I'd like to skip this stupid acid step if possible. Do lithium batteries come ready-to-go right out of the box?

Thanks!

These guys might be able to help. Give 'em a call. If it isn't damaged from the charging without being filled all the way, maybe they can add some acid and save it?

American Battery Corporation

Saved to your Map
Car Battery Store
Address: 525 W Washington Ave, Escondido, CA 92025

Thank you! They were very helpful. Sounds like I probably didn't get enough acid in there for the battery to charge. It's possible that it can be revived but it sounds like it's highly likely the battery is toast.

I've ordered another one and will give it another go. You learn more from failure than success!

You can buy the acid separately. You need such a small amount. A battery or auto store may help you out with a top off.

The advice from ABC was that it's likely the battery fried when I tried charging it with an insufficient amount of acid. The lesson?

If you spill some of the acid then make sure to top it off before closing and charging the battery. Don't charge it with low acid levels.

why not a YTZ no maintenance batt? or a ultra light Li Earth-X, Ballistic or other.

I thought filling lead acid batteries was kind of thing of the past???

(YTZ Factory Activated, Maintenance Free)

Agreed robert. If you get it filled and still wont take a charge just exchange it for a new one should have 6 month or 1 year warranty then upgrade to a light no maintenance one.