Sign in to follow this  
Oracle

Squeeky brakes

I just replaced the brake pads on my 950A. The rear brakes are squeaking / squealing very loud. Not just a little...but a lot. Any fix it tips to eliminate this??

Try sanding/filing the pads a little. Also, make sure the caliper is moving properly. If the caliper pins are sticking only one side moves which can cause squealing. Did you go with Sintered? (also squeaky)

if you want a change or another option on compound you can use the FA181X carbon sport pads from EBC, they don't last as long as sintered metal but they never squeal and don't transfer heat into the caliper very much either. PS the FA181 is the industry standard pad shape code for your pads and the X is EBCs Carbon material designator

we all use X/carbon on our trail/enduro/racing machines due to brake dragging on the trail and loads of heat cycles from extreme trail riding/racing. they are one link in my bullet proof rear brake system. If you are riding in extreme wet and muddy and sandy stuff don't use them, 95% its dry here so they are good to go. just another option for compound.

as for squeal on Brembo calipers I have found that OEM Brembo pads squeal a lot less then even the best EBC/ Braking or other OEM style (sintered metal) pad brands

Mine get hot and make a nasty nail on chalk board sound but only if I am really dragging brake. And I am running the ebc carbon red pads!

Had my rear brake seize up on a ride a few weeks ago. The fluid was shot. It came out like sludge. All is well now. You may just need to get some fresh fluid in case your brakes are getting g stuck on like mine were.

Mine get hot and make a nasty nail on chalk board sound but only if I am really dragging brake. And I am running the ebc carbon red pads!

Had my rear brake seize up on a ride a few weeks ago. The fluid was shot. It came out like sludge. All is well now. You may just need to get some fresh fluid in case your brakes are getting g stuck on like mine were.

ebc reds, motul rbf660 fluid, zipty reservoir extemder and on my Italian Huskys a slavens caliper in line heat sink fitting, ps only use reds on the rear they make the front feel mushy

Sounds funny but put lil grease while re building the caliper helps it float back and forth .

From experience on cars I found squealing is often a harmonic of the pads vibrating, that's why we used "brake glue", it go's between the pad and the caliper. Sometimes noise is the pad surface itself , for instance older Volvos had to have dealer pads because the compound worked well with the rotor composition, after market harder pads were noisy. So my two cents is try some brake silicone based "glue" to cut down on vibration and if that doesn't work change to one of the pads Robertaccio was recommending.

Thanks for all the tips. Going pull the pads today, bleed the system, and try a couple of the suggestions.

I've had squeaky brake pads before but nothing like these. Squeak from first initial brake application all the way to full lock up.