Chief Gunner

Bike Maintenance Day at my place

I've had a couple of maintenance days at my place before and they worked out well.

8-2.jpg

I'm thinking of doing another on the weekend following the Big Game.

Nothing fancy planned, just some tuning, wrench turning, oil changes, valve adjusts and the things needed to get the pig ready for the DD.

I'll do the COSTCO run for the usual fare: burgers, hot links, dogs, chips and beverages once I have an idea of how many will show.

I'm not planning on a post maintenance ride but it could happen :lol:

I have the manual for the XR650L and I am familiar with the DRZ400's (had me a green one, KLX400R).....

Since we have so many different bikes in this group if anyone would like to be the "Lead" on their particular model, throw up a reply here.

If you guys think having a informal meet & greet sounds good to you then throw up a reply.

We can do some tire repair / spooning parctice too and talk about the things we should carry on rides, how to use GPS or whatever.

For the members here who are new to dual-sporting this would be a good chance to get some great advice and help with questions from some of the experienced "Jedi's" . I am still in the learnig phase on allot of things DS related so I like to think of mysef as a humble apprentice :blink:

I have a decent sized yard so throwing your bike on a pickup with a lawn chair or two and parking in the yard is no problem.

My driveway can accomodate quite a few bikes too.

Aaron

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I've had a couple of maintenance days at my place before and they worked out well. I'm thinking of doing another on the weekend following the Big Game.

Nothing fancy planned, just some tuning, wrench turning, oil changes, valve adjusts and the things needed to get the pig ready for the DD.

I'll do the COSTCO run for the usual fare: burgers, hot links, dogs, chips and beverages once I have an idea of how many will show.

I'm not planning on a post maintenance ride but it could happen B)

I have the manual for the XR650L and I am familiar with the DRZ400's (had me a green one, KLX400R).....

Since we have so many different bikes in this group if anyone would like to be the "Lead" on their particular model, throw up a reply here.

If you guys think having a informal meet & greet sounds good to you then throw up a reply.

We can do some tire repair / spooning parctice too and talk about the things we should carry on rides, how to use GPS or whatever.

For the members here who are new to dual-sporting this would be a good chance to get some great advice and help with questions from some of the experienced "Jedi's" we have here.

I have a decent sized yard so throwing your bike on a pickup and parking in the yard is no problem.

My driveway can accomodate quite a few bikes too.

Aaron

Lots of maintanance on a bike that needs very little. :blink::lol:B)

I try to keep with the ATGATT philosophy, I may be considered obsessive when it comes to maintenance on my pig but I take it very seriously at the risk of ridicule because I know I'm taking my life into my hands every time I hop on and fire it up :lol:

Besides I was hoping I could get someone here who knows how to do fork fluid exchanges, mine are way over due and I've never done forks before! :blink: I gotta call Precision Concepts and get the fluid specs they used when they did the re-spring and re-valve on my forks.

I'm around that weekend. I can give a GPS demo and how to edit tracks on the 'puter if anyone cares...

Brush up on the ROKON Sachs motor 360 automatic with a pull start. :D:D I cant find anyone who knows whats wrong with it . I was doing about 60 mph when it died.

Thanks for the offer Sandiegoland, always good to have you around.

Schwinn; I'm sure we can find something online, I got high speed wireless so I'll have the computer hooked up in the garage with the printer for any tech stuff we need to find. :D Here is a link to a place that sells the computer based CD / DVD manuals:http://www.gennersales.co.uk/bikemanuals.htm

and here is a source for the paper back versions: http://www.cyclemanualstore.com/

Anyone got a wheel bearing puller? I was going to replace the front and rear bearings and re pack the steering stem needle bearing on Rachel's Husky that day too.

23mm Inside diameter...I figure I can tap the new ones in (coated with good grease of course) with a like sized socket and rubber mallet after throwing them in the freezer the night before.

I can do forks and wheel bearings, if I'm in town I'll try to show up. I have a DRZ400 manual and a WR400 manual.

Well I've had a few responses but no real set date yet. It's just going to be some friends getting together to talk about bikes, riding and have some burgers or whatever. If you might want to drop in with the better half or the kids then that's fine too, not planning on a drunk fest.

I just though it would be nice to have an informal get together so some of us can meet some of the newer members face to face and refresh our friendships with the ones who have been around awhile that may not have been so active lately.

I like to do these things out of appreciation for the good times I enjoy here and the great friendships I have found here as well.

6-2.jpg

So my question is what date works best? Let me know.

Aaron

Set a date bro and I will try to be there. I work 9-10 Feb am, Supercross 9 Feb PM. :angry:

How's January the 26th work from 10 A.M. to whenever / whatever time sound ?

Can always hook the TV up out in the garage to catch some sports action too.

How's January the 26th work from 10 A.M. to whenever / whatever time sound ?

:D I'll be out of town :angry:

I MIGHT BE DOWN DONT KNOW FOR SHURE YET , COME HANG OUT FOR A LITTLE BIT AND MAYBE SOMEONE CAN GIVE A GPS CLASS BECAUSE I NEED ONE :unsure:

( SINCE I HAVE NEVER BIN TO YOUR HOUSE CAN YOU PM YOUR ADDRESS )

I MIGHT BE DOWN DONT KNOW FOR SHURE YET , COME HANG OUT FOR A LITTLE BIT AND MAYBE SOMEONE CAN GIVE A GPS CLASS BECAUSE I NEED ONE :o

( SINCE I HAVE NEVER BIN TO YOUR HOUSE CAN YOU PM YOUR ADDRESS )

Gunner, just give him your gps numbers. If he makes it there his training is comming along :unsure::blink: .

SDLR650 what gps do you have, and what software is loaded? Ken

Gunner, I am going to try to make it with the new Husky. We have out of town company that is supposed to leave Saturday morning and if they leave early I will be there. Let me know what you want me to bring.

Ken

Let me know what you want me to bring.

Ken

How about?

Picture014-1.jpg

garmin etrex vista black@white screen, i just have garmins us streets and highways loaded i havent bought the topo map yet, i can use it ( basic features ) but would be nice for someone to go threw all of the features. anyway if i cant make it i will prob try to hook up with the gps king ( boston mangler) to give me the gps 101

( would a cowboy hat and a vest help me get there :lol2: )

Well if the rain doesn't bother you guys then it's on for Sat. I'll do the Costco run after work tomorrow and PM my address and Ph # to those who are interested in showing up.

If you guys would prefer a dry day to do it then that works too.

That way we can do a post Maintenance ride inspection :lol2: I was thinking Viejas grade then over to Alpine down Kernan to 4 Corners and maybe scoot back down Kernan to Buckman springs and then jump on Bear Valley to take us back to Alpine then back down Viejas.

What do you guys think? I don't know about you guys but I hate to ride on the roads in the rain around here, to many idiots as it is but they get even dumber on wet roads.

Damp trails and dirt roads are a total blast on the other hand :lol:

I'll go with the majority feedback of course :bye:

Guner, I havn't seen a recent weather forcast, what are they calling for? If it is supposed to rain, I would vote to schedule for another time. Then again a few doughnuts on your wet muddy lawn would suffice for a post inspection test ride for me :lol2: :bye: . Ken

Hey Ken!

The report I got from KOGO this morning on the way to work said "on & off" light showers today with possible showers and mild clearing tomorrow and then we have another system (stronger than the last one) moving in Friday night which will dump allot more rain on us through the weekend.

11.gif

Big system out there on the ocean waiting to water our lawns for us....

WV16.GIF

Due to unforseen possible travel ;) .......I got word this afternoon that I am on the hook for a possible "Tech Assist" needed on a ship that is at sea..... and I might have to hop on a helicopter and fly out to fix a problem either tonight, tomorrow or Sunday.....so.....

MAINTENANCE DAY POSTPONED UNTIL; SATURDAY FEBUARY THE 2nd