After a weekend long test in the desert this weekend I'm curious about my suspension options for the DRZ. I rode it back-to-back with some MX bikes and (aside from the weight) the biggest difference I felt was suspension. The DRZ is soft and springy and the MX bikes all have stiffer suspension which skipped beautifully across the top of sandy whoop sections.

My questions:

1. I know a lot of people rebuild the DRZ suspension as a "must-do" mod. I weigh about 180 lbs. with gear. Will a full rebuild be necessary or can I adjust the stock setup to work for me?

2. If a full rebuild is required, how much does that usually cost (front and rear) and is there anyone in the area that you'd recommend?

3. If I did rebuild (and presumably stiffen) the suspension what will I be sacrificing? That nice cushy suspension must be good for some styles of riding, otherwise why would it exist?

Thanks!

"Suspenders" here - http://www.suspension101.com/ has done a lot of suspension work for folks here. I just got my WR back from some moderate rework but haven't been out yet. Just a few tweaks by George on my former DR650 made a noticeable difference.

If you want local specialized DRZ setup perfect knowledge drive over to Alpine's own Suspension 101- George will provide you anything from trail punter to race ready* suspension for your DRZ. the guy is locally accesible and a king at getting the DRZ from pedestrian DS to more hardcore DS.

* not Pro race ready but normal guy race ready.

Thank you guys for the kind words.

So Bluhdow without gear your about 150 to 155lbs?

Do you have an oversized gas tank?

Any other weight additions?

Riding how long?

How long has it been since your suspension has been serviced. It is kinda like changing the oil in your engine, your suspension needs oil changes too.

Do you have any racing in your past. Kinda need to know how aggressive / fast you are.

Stiffer springs if needed, benefits outweigh the negatives by a margin.

Then we can estimate your costs.

619 997-5193

suspension101@cox.net

Thanks guys!

"So Bluhdow" - Call me Joe. =)

"without gear your about 150 to 155lbs?" - 160 lbs currently. Usually float between 160 and 165. Thin/athletic build.

"Do you have an oversized gas tank?" - Clarke 3.2 gallon tank.

"Any other weight additions?" - Just the normal bike protection. Hand guards, case savers, radiator guards, skid plate.

"Riding how long?" This is my first bike after a 10 year hiatus, but I grew up on MX bikes. CR80, RM125, YZ250. I'm not what I used to be, but I can still keep up pretty well.

"How long has it been since your suspension has been serviced." - It's never been done. Bike only has 1300 miles though.

"Do you have any racing in your past. Kinda need to know how aggressive / fast you are." - No formal racing. Just a lot of homemade MX tracks out in Yucca Valley. Everyone had a bike and a Bobcat!

I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, but my ego would like me to believe that I can keep up. ;)

Let me know your thoughts!

Thank you!

Good points on the "service" as George found water in my WR forks and rusty springs. Milky oil of course. First I've had them serviced since I got the bike this year. It's possible the PO hit it with a power washer, dunno - just happy to have that junk out of there.

George, since you tweeked my DRZ I've added a desert tank, more junk in my tail bag, more on my front fender and a few pounds in my gut!

So I need to come see you too!

Charlie

Suspenders did the springs and tune-up on mine. Still feels plenty plush, but less deflection off rocks, more planted in the whoops, and smoother landings on jumps. AT LEAST do the springs; the bikes are set up for "showroom plush"...i.e. You sit on one in the showroom and bounce up and down and say vroom vroom, and decide to buy one. An MX bike doesn't bounce...you can still vroom vroom though. Face it; the drz is a do-anything dual sport... a blank convas for you to tweak to your liking. Springs, valving, oil,...all things to adjust for you. Tires are another. Ripping through the whoops with MX guys? You'll always be at a disadvantage (ask me how I know) When you do meet with George; be honest! Dontl tell him you weigh 150, stand up all day long, and tear through the desert @ 90 mph (unless it's all true) I was honest, and got excellent results... I'm a 210 pound trail rider, I sit down a LOT, and I want trail suspension. I am pleased with the results

Definitely interested in a quote on the range of options. From just springs up to the full deal. It should be more stiff without question. Just need to determine the most efficient way to get there.

I would start with just a set of fork springs for the most bang for the buck.

1300 miles on that type of fork there is no need to service anything as of yet.

162.5 lbs plus 25lbs for gear you are just knocking on the door to 200lbs plus large tank.

For desert riding, hitting whoops and going a little faster than you should I would go .48 fork springs.

For more single track, slower riding, rocky sections etc. I would go .46

Both springs will be more plush and better handling than what you have.

Spring set in Eibach or better runs $115 plus install on that fork is pretty easy and fast. Just a matter of setting the pre-load on the spring depending on which you decide on.

Then if you want to take it to the next level it can be done when the bike is ready for service.

The bike can be made into a really good all around bike but do not expect to turn it into an mx bike. Big improvements yes motocross no!

When you do meet with George; be honest! Dontl tell him you weigh 150, stand up all day long, and tear through the desert @ 90 mph (unless it's all true) I was honest, and got excellent results... I'm a 210 pound trail rider, I sit down a LOT, and I want trail suspension. I am pleased with the results

This is a terrific piece of advice. In the past I had a bike set up (not by George) for how I thought I would eventually be riding, not how I actually ride. Turned out horribly and I could never get it dialed in for the type of riding I actually do.

I had George do my 2000 DRZ-E. I'm 160lbs without gear and tend to hit things hard in the open desert. I had S101 set me up for desert whoops.

I went up in fork spring one or two rates and had a custom "revalve" where he cut open some shims in the midvalve to increase flow (saw it on some Italian racer page). I also got his custom marinara fork fluid.

Definite improvement. The DRZ will never be an MX bike but it was the best handling DRZ I've been on and I beat on it all through the desert. Great bike and worth the suspension investment if you plan to hold onto it. Still, nothing is going to beat a modern MX or 2stroke bike suspension so consider your objectives & mission with the bike.

When it came time for a refresh years later, I went one spring rate higher on the shock (helped when carrying a Giant Loop Mojavi loaded with gear).

Best of luck. Ride on!