Bruce

Trail from Ojos to Uruapan

Is the trail from Ojos Negros to Uruapan still open? Last time I went through there was a fenced corral at the bottom of the rocky downhill. A couple of guys opened the fences for us, but I've been reading some recent reports indicating that it's now locked. Hope not. I don't know any other way to Cals.

Anybody been through here recently? Goofy...didn't you go through this summer?

I rode through there three weeks ago. The corral gates at the bottom of the hill were open, but there were four or five other closed but unlocked cattle gates along the road west of there. I take that route fairly often and haven't encountered locked gates so far. By the way, the trail from Ojos to the rocky hill is in great shape - fast & flowy.

We tried to ride from Ojos to Santo Tomas but couldn't find a route past a locked gate. Where is Uruapan in relation to Santo Tomas? I only know the one in Michoacan.

I need to download my tracks from my GPS, and then I can give you idea of where the gate was couldn't pass.

Ejido Uruapan is just a few miles before Santo Tomas, maybe 5 miles before La Bocana turn-off.

Jawhitmoyer, did you turn to the west at Rancho Tres Hermanos or continue south? I've heard of routes west of Tres Hermanos that are blocked by locked gates. But if you follow the most obvious trail due south from Tres Hermanos, you'll eventually get funneled into a wide river valley, through Ejido Uruapan, and pop onto Hwy 1 about six miles north of Santo Tomas.

I hope you didn't encounter locked gates on the Uruapan route; that would be a huge bummer indeed.

We didn't pass Tres Hermanos. Monday I'll post a pic of our route and maybe you help me understand where we wrong.

Bruce, yea we also did go through that "ranch" at bottom of the hill, legit or not they built it right on the trail huh wtf. For us too a dude was there and opened both gates.

Can't remember if it was locked but It's a popular trail I doubt these guys can simply just blocked passage

We didn't pass Tres Hermanos. Monday I'll post a pic of our route and maybe you help me understand where we wrong.

Jawhitmoyer,

I read your write-up. I don't think you went far enough South. I took the turn to the West too early a couple of years ago and I think I hit the same gate you did. On Google maps, follow the trail heading east from Uruapan. Right at the knee where the trail turns north to Ojos, you will see a tiny homestead marked as Tres Hermanos. As far as I know this is the only trail connecting Ojos to highway 1. This is, by far, the best way to get to Cals.

I just returned from a Cal's - San Quitin - Valle T loop. There were no locked gates on the route from Ojos to Uruapan. In fact, there were only two unlocked cattle gates to deal with instead of the usual five or six.

I am riding the sierras this weekend, but I am looking to do a long day ride to figure that out. Maybe in two weeks.

I just returned from a Cal's - San Quitin - Valle T loop. There were no locked gates on the route from Ojos to Uruapan. In fact, there were only two unlocked cattle gates to deal with instead of the usual five or six.

I saw your report on the Nomad. Looks like you had an awesome time! Post up here next time you're headed down and maybe somebody can jump on with you too (I also totally get if you wanted to ride solo and get the heck out of town). Catch you down there sometime.

I saw your report on the Nomad. Looks like you had an awesome time! Post up here next time you're headed down and maybe somebody can jump on with you too (I also totally get if you wanted to ride solo and get the heck out of town). Catch you downI there sometime.

I tried to recruit a certain Frenchman who is active on this site, but my ridiculous short notice ("Hey man, I'm leaving for Baja in 30 minutes; wanna go?") is not sufficient for people with lives, plans and things to do. I will post up here next time, and even try to give some notice!

Was through there last year and tried to connect some old race course with normal route through the valley, got close but ran into locked gate. Had to continue on race course that stays north of the valley until we found major access that dropped us down. Here are the tracks/maps, blue is our course, pink is old race course.

Ojos%20to%20Urapan.png

Urapan%20Detail.png

I'm game!

I'll hit you up next time I head down that way, skeelo!

Dave I didn't know this was you man ah!!

You're the one who clued me in to this route way back when, Kato. Now I no longer get to experience the joy of Ensenada traffic.