Bagstr

12vdc Distribution - Ideas

Looking for clean methods to split and distribute 12vdc under the headlight mask. What is your clever idea.

Thanks

Well you know my method using the 6 pin connector behind the mask. There's switched and un-switched 12 volts available there. I know you had some issues on your 350 with this method but I'm not sure what the cause was. I've been running this setup for over 1500 miles with 0 issues. You can get the connector here:

http://www.cycleterminal.com/110-connectors.html

Might be worth another try?

Randy,

Thanks again, that is a great Site. Apparently in the US as opposed the Eastern Beaver. Yes, working today to verify the 6 pin conn is the same on this xcw. No Key Switch on this and everything times out after about 10 seconds. Sourcing from the 6 pin negates the need to run power from the battery. Need to verify I have 12vdc un-switched when the system shuts down.

The source aside, I still need a clean way to split the power three ways; Powerlet outlet, GPS switch and Volt-meter switch. Bullet terminals are my default method.

Know of a Powerlet supplier in SD. Need a right angle plug to SAE flat connector. BMW dealer??

i-Wts2mGG-L.jpg

I'm a fan of blue sea distribution boxes if you're looking for fused circuits. I order my powerlet stuff on Amazon.

Randy,

Thanks again, that is a great Site. Apparently in the US as opposed the Eastern Beaver. Yes, working today to verify the 6 pin conn is the same on this xcw. No Key Switch on this and everything times out after about 10 seconds. Sourcing from the 6 pin negates the need to run power from the battery. Need to verify I have 12vdc un-switched when the system shuts down.

The source aside, I still need a clean way to split the power three ways; Powerlet outlet, GPS switch and Volt-meter switch. Bullet terminals are my default method.

Know of a Powerlet supplier in SD. Need a right angle plug to SAE flat connector. BMW dealer??

i-Wts2mGG-L.jpg

I'm pretty sure there is constant 12 volt in that connector as well. I have the schematics at home and can look it up this evening. Blue Sea makes quality stuff but there's isn't much room behind the headlight mask.

On my EXC, I replaced the main battery positive cable with another I fabricated at West Marine. Used the marine wire and swaged (and later soldered/shrink) terminals and added a smaller-gauge pigtail in the process- no extra-add-on wires at the battery connection. On that pigtail, within a few inches of the battery, I soldered/shrink a roubst (20a? 15?) inline fuse to protect all the wiring from that point. I ran that wire through protective loom to the headlight mask area and used 4-way female bullet connectors on the end.

My accessories plug in there, and each has it's own small inline fuse to protect the device (probably unnecessary) and it's short cable.

This way I avoid relays and triggers and other complications presented using the existing bike circuits. It's also easy to swap out accessories if I wish.

I guess the important question is what do you intend to run off the Powerlet and what amperage capacity would you like it to have?

I guess the important question is what do you intend to run off the Powerlet and what amperage capacity would you like it to have?

1776041.jpg1d0e51bf-63cf-47dd-a40a-7ac4869aae5e_400day-and-night-air-conditioning-units.pngdelorean.jpgset-used-on-young-frankenstein.jpg

1776041.jpg1d0e51bf-63cf-47dd-a40a-7ac4869aae5e_400day-and-night-air-conditioning-units.pngdelorean.jpgset-used-on-young-frankenstein.jpg

Ha! LMAO! :lmaosmiley:

Thanks for the Ideas Gents. Spent a couple of hours running around, chasing down parts today; NAPA, Willy's, Grainger, SD BMW, PEP Boys.

The best result was I got to talk with Geoff King at the Parts Counter at SD BMW. He is an Old Friend fro Red Hot Riders. Talked street bikes, Moto GP / Rossi possible 10th. Great Guy if need anYthing BMW.

Back to the Issue. Inspected the wire Terminals behind the headlight of the XCW and there Does Not appear to be the EXC 6 pin connector. No other sign of un-switched 12vdc. I have installed one Battery Tender Fused Tap with factory ring terminals under the batt terminals. This has an 8" tail with SAE insulated plug. Plan to run 300 volt lamp cord to the headlight area, Power the Powerlet receptacle and the two mini on/off switches. One switch to supply the fused lead to the Montana cradle and the other to supply a volt-meter. The Battery Tap is fused at 10amps. The Powerlet receptacle will be used primarily to charge the radio and phone on the trail. Could be used to trickle charge the battery as needed.

Dave

PS - Looking toward getting proper spring from George tomorrow. At that point the Garage Prince will hit the trails!

PMB ,

HA - 'Letricity, it's all the Same, Right?

Yup.

how much of the Magic Smoke is in them wires?

Now THAT'S damn funny!

Thanks for the Ideas Gents. Spent a couple of hours running around, chasing down parts today; NAPA, Willy's, Grainger, SD BMW, PEP Boys.

The best result was I got to talk with Geoff King at the Parts Counter at SD BMW. He is an Old Friend fro Red Hot Riders. Talked street bikes, Moto GP / Rossi possible 10th. Great Guy if need anYthing BMW.

Back to the Issue. Inspected the wire Terminals behind the headlight of the XCW and there Does Not appear to be the EXC 6 pin connector. No other sign of un-switched 12vdc. I have installed one Battery Tender Fused Tap with factory ring terminals under the terminals. This has an 8" tail with SAE insulated plug. Plan to run 300 volt lamp cord to the headlight area, Power the Powerlet receptacle and the two mini on/off switches. One switch to supply the fused lead to the Montana cradle and the other to supply a volt-meter. The Battery Tap is fused at 10amps. The Powerlet receptacle will be used primarily to charge the radio and phone on the trail. Could be used to trickle charge the battery as needed.

Dave

PS - Looking toward getting proper spring from George tomorrow. At that point the Garage Prince will hit the trails!

Interesting that it doesn't have the connector. Sounds like you've got it handled nicely

It is very obvious that you are having fun with your build of the new bike, can't wait to see it when your all done.