Honda90

Tinnitus Torment

I'm looking for advice on noise isolating earbuds. My foam plugs work great at protecting me from exhaust, tire, wind noise, etc. But they also lock me in with the screeching in my head. It sort of offsets the pleasure of being out in the woods.

So I'm looking to add a bit of music to the mix - without losing much attenuation. Sound quality is not a big issue; I just need something to mask the screeching.

Anybody tried these? http://www.amazon.com/Plugfones-Contractor-Improved-Headphones-Protection/dp/B00RC301N4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439232041&sr=8-1&keywords=plugfones

Thanks,

Phil

I've been using some JVC marshmallows or something like that. They do a good job at blocking noise and the sound is pretty decent for <$20.

Get a Sena setup and keep wearing the earplugs. The Sena is plenty loud enough to be heard over earplugs, plus you'll have bluetooth streaming of music and phone without any cords to deal with. And if you ride with other Sena users or a passenger, you can communicate directly with each other.

Look into auto-racing earbuds... Or these. https://www.plugfones.com

OK. So I went with the plugfones: $25 on Amazon. I got both the foamies and the rubber with flanges. The flanged ones work best. They do not isolate as well as mormal ear plugs - but enough to be safe. Then I add music, or frogs and a stream, or a campfire and a rainstorm - and voila, my screaching is about 70% masked, my hearing is protected, and I have some nice ambient noise.

One of the hassles with plugs is removing and reinserting when you take breaks. Sometimes I just leave them in to save trouble; but that leaves me out of any conversations. Solution: I found an app called Ear Machine that turns my phone into a hearing aid. So when I stop, I can just switch between music or masking sounds to the Ear Machine app. Now I can converse without removing plugs, or even helmet.

This is a relatively cheap fix to a vexing problem. I hope this helps someone else.

Look into auto-racing earbuds... Or these. https://www.plugfones.com

OK. So I went with the plugfones: $25 on Amazon. I got both the foamies and the rubber with flanges. The flanged ones work best. They do not isolate as well as mormal ear plugs - but enough to be safe. Then I add music, or frogs and a stream, or a campfire and a rainstorm - and voila, my screaching is about 70% masked, my hearing is protected, and I have some nice ambient noise.

One of the hassles with plugs is removing and reinserting when you take breaks. Sometimes I just leave them in to save trouble; but that leaves me out of any conversations. Solution: I found an app called Ear Machine that turns my phone into a hearing aid. So when I stop, I can just switch between music or masking sounds to the Ear Machine app. Now I can converse without removing plugs, or even helmet.

This is a relatively cheap fix to a vexing problem. I hope this helps someone else.

That's great.