Ron

Motorcycle license

Okay call me a procrastinator, lagger but my temporary license expires this FRIDAY or is good through Friday. ;)

I have to take the driving portion of the test. Should I take one of these hour classes or rent a smaller bike ( I have a XR650L) to ride the course?

Any thoughts are appreciated...

Thanks,

Lagger Ron

I wouldn't think you'd need to rent a smaller bike.....your 650L is MUCH easier to handle than a street bike weighing in at 500-1200lbs.....you oughta be able to handle a figure 8, etc. on your 650 with no problem at all.....

I took the test on a 77 Suzuki GT550 Street bike (good ole street legal two smoker) and passed no problem.......I bought that bike from Fred (Snaildarter on SDAR) when he traded up to a 750GS around ~1979.....which means I bought that bike/took the test ~29 years ago ;) .....geez Freddy, we're getting old! :o:P;)

Your XRL is perfect for the course, use it! when I went to the MSF course we have to take so we can get on Base there was another guy there on a dualsport. We had no problems during the class because riding a dualsport bike in the course is almost like cheating.

Have you been practicing?

Good Luck!

Your XRL is perfect for the course, use it! when I went to the MSF course we have to take so we can get on Base there was another guy there on a dualsport. We had no problems during the class because riding a dualsport bike in the course is almost like cheating.

Have you been practicing?

Good Luck!

I have not been practicing! Just general riding around. Anything besides figure eights?

Thanks,

Ron

Here's an idea for you....The DMV in El Cajon on Bradley has a marked course for the MC test. I went there on a few Sunday's to practice when I first got my bike.

I also swung by there to watch other riders go throught the course so I could understand what they expected to see from me on my bike.

The MSF course is expensive (I'm lucky the Navy Paid for mine) but they put you through allot more than the DMV expects.

I have not been practicing! Just general riding around. Anything besides figure eights?

Thanks,

Ron

I'd suggest you start practicing riding in small/tight circles in your driveway........to the best of my knowledge the test consists of weaving through cones for 40 feet or so, then you must stay inside a 20' (?) diameter circle for two loops, then weave through the cones again. Then you ride straight for the same 40' or so inside lines that are about 12" apart heading back to the dreaded loop,but this time you get to do two loops in the other direction, then ride the 40' or so between the aformentioned lines back to the finish....something like that.....shouldn't be a big deal......if you stall, fall, go outside the lines or put a foot down at any time from start to finish, you *may* fail..........but it's been a long time since I took the test......someone who's taken it within the last 20 years can probably give you a better idea of what currently required ;);)

Also make sure all your signals, horn, etc. are in good working order

The test is really easy. The smart thing to do is to go when they are closed and practice. When I showed up on the 650l the instructor commented on how smart it is to use one for the test. Also set you idle higher so you dont have to feather the clutch as much.

Go to the DMV and practice. When you do the circle look at least 180 degrees through the circle, don't look down in front of you. You can also visualize someone is standing in the middle of the circle and look at where their head would be. When you ride the straight line pick a reference point in the distance that is in line with the center of your path. Ride to that point and do not look down at the lines. Will be easy, good luck. Better make an appointment right away. Out here is the desert there is about a two week wait for driving exams.

If you are anywhere near Lemon Grove you can borrow my CRF230 for the test. I've loaned it out twice for DMV testing, it works great.

If you are anywhere near Lemon Grove you can borrow my CRF230 for the test. I've loaned it out twice for DMV testing, it works great.

That right there is what makes this group of people so great....Always willing to help out and have fun doing it! ;)

Here's an idea for you....The DMV in El Cajon on Bradley has a marked course for the MC test. I went there on a few Sunday's to practice when I first got my bike.

I also swung by there to watch other riders go throught the course so I could understand what they expected to see from me on my bike.

The MSF course is expensive (I'm lucky the Navy Paid for mine) but they put you through allot more than the DMV expects.

It's how I did it...xr650l bum had a good idea too about having reliable idling.

papa.

Okay call me a procrastinator, lagger but my temporary license expires this FRIDAY or is good through Friday. ;)

I have to take the driving portion of the test. Should I take one of these hour classes or rent a smaller bike ( I have a XR650L) to ride the course?

Any thoughts are appreciated...

Thanks,

Lagger Ron

I'd like to plug the MSF course also. It exempts you from the riding portion at the DMV and teaches you some great skills that could save your life some day! I've taken the Basic, Experienced, and Dirt courses and enjoyed every one. I admit the are a little pricey, but for the cost of a good helmet, you can learn some skills that can keep you alive almost as effectively as that helmet.

I thought you could always take the written exam again to extend your time for the riding test? You'll probably have a tough time getting either a road-test appointment or a seat in an MSF course by Friday.

Oh, and your XR650L is a perfect bike for the course/test. I took all three on mine and the coaches said I was cheating on the road courses because I was riding a "dirt bike". ;)

It is hit and miss with the motorcycle test. I was lucky and got in with no appointment. She had seen me practicing before and said she was not busy, so if I could get to the cashier I was in.

Yes your honda xr650l is perfect and you can flunk the riding portion up to 3 times so Im told. Most of your insurance carriers also give you a break if you show them the certificate from MSF.

Hey Ron,

I too would like to give thumbs up to the MSF. :angry:

I teach the Basic, Experienced and Dirt classes. We teach techniques that you will not learn from DMV that can prevent a mishap. I took the classes after years of riding and learned allot!

If you choose to take it at DMV, take it on your bike. You should be used to it and will pass if you keep your head and eyes up, look through the turns and counter weight as necessary.

I could give a few pointers if you stopped by after work this week. ;)

I took the MSF course a couple of weeks ago. An excellent learning experience. I got some excellent practical pointers from the instructors that have helped me. They do an excellent job of evaluating each rider and giving you tips on how to make adjustments to improve your basic skills. You don't have to take the DMV test to boot. Although, the MSF test isn't a gimme. A couple of guys didn't pass. One guy even grabbed too much front brake on the braking test and went OTB!

We had 2 women that wore heals. they both droped the bikes on the first day, then were told to go home.

Hey Ron,

I too would like to give thumbs up to the MSF. :lol:

I teach the Basic, Experienced and Dirt classes. We teach techniques that you will not learn from DMV that can prevent a mishap. I took the classes after years of riding and learned allot!

If you choose to take it at DMV, take it on your bike. You should be used to it and will pass if you keep your head and eyes up, look through the turns and counter weight as necessary.

I could give a few pointers if you stopped by after work this week. :lol:

Thank to everyone who responded!

What a great club. As it turns out I will get my temporary license again and take MSF course. It is exspensive but so is going to the hospital or dying!!!

Thanks again to all, great advice!!!

Ron

:lol: You're kidding right? I thought the MSF course was great, I am going back for the Advanced rider course soon.... guess I'm a sucker too then. :lol:

:lol: You're kidding right? I thought the MSF course was great, I am going back for the Advanced rider course soon.... guess I'm a sucker too then. :lol:

Yes Gunz. I edited.

Yes Gunz. I edited.

thought so :lol: you caught me off guard.....

I'm trying to get certified to teach both the dirt bike school and the street course, courtesy of my employer :D so I can help out 'round these parts.

I din't know there was an MSF dirt course. I did the basic course ~20 years ago when I first got my license and have done the advanced/refresher course 3 or 4 times over the years but had never heard there was a dirt course.

What does the dirt course teach? If I've been riding off-road for a while is it worthwhile or is it really geared towards dirt newbies?

I din't know there was an MSF dirt course. I did the basic course ~20 years ago when I first got my license and have done the advanced/refresher course 3 or 4 times over the years but had never heard there was a dirt course.

What does the dirt course teach? If I've been riding off-road for a while is it worthwhile or is it really geared towards dirt newbies?

http://www.dirtbikeschool.com/

[TONGUE-N-CHEEK]

Actually, it's alot like the street course - since you've been riding for soooo many years, there's probably nothing they can teach you - don't bother.

[/TONGUE-N-CHEEK]

Just teasing ya!!! B) While it may seem very rudimentary (i.e. - remember those friction zone exercises, duck-walking your bike across the parking lot. You'll do them again in the dirt), there are some basic skills that you may have not known about when riding in the dirt that the course will teach. It may also break you of some bad habits you didn't even know you had. This, of course, is highly dependent on how good a coach you have...

I took it since it was free to me (military) and heck, I'll never pass up a day out of the office to ride in the dirt! I was happy and learned some good stuff.

The DirtBike School teaches the basics, straight-line-riding, turning, braking, and shifting. Don’t let that fool you. There is a lot more to it than it sounds. The first part of the School may seem boring to the experienced rider but you will come away with a new prospective on riding in the dirt. I’ve been a member of the Vikings MC (http://vikingsmc.com/) for 20+ years and rode and raced District 37. My son also rode and raced when he was in school and he is a top notch rider. After our first day of DirtBike training, back at the hotel, he said “Dad, I feel like I don’t know a dam thing about riding.”

Once you become a coach you tend to watch other riders and notice their riding style. This December I manned a road crossing at the Vikings Grand Prix in Adelanto. In the two day event we had a little over 1000 racers. I would have to say well over 900 of them that came by had poor riding posture.

Who taught you how to ride? Probably like me you taught yourself. My boys and I took the Steve Wise MX School 17 years ago. That school greatly helped our riding. To me the DirtBike School is a wise investment.