Bluhdow

First Dual-Sport

Get a Joe hauler for the car. Speaking for myself, while I love the thought of dual sports, it's not all that practical when you live by the beach...tire wear is crazy on knobbies. The bikes that actually enjoy the freeway don't like singletrack...XRL and DRZ came closest for me.

I was waiting for someone to chime in with XR400. Yes, the kick start only is not ideal, but then again, it was never an issue for me. If the bike is jetted well, it's easy to clear a flooded carb. Better yet, find a ________ (XR400 based quad) engine on CL and swap in the left(?) case with the electric start. Done. I'm a big guy (Really??!!! YETI??!! You're a big guy??) and I loved my XR400. Jimmy Lewis has said it is his all-time favorite dirt bike. That counts for a LOT.

That said, I've been seeing '08 and '09 KTM 450EXC-R's within reach of your price range. Yes, they take semi-frequent oil changes but they're easy to do. They have both a magic-button and a kick start. That was the best damn bike I ever owned and it killed me to have to sell it. (F the IRS!!!) If you can find one in your price range or close to it, it's well worth the stretch!! I may be getting one myself in a few months.

Okay, so here are my thoughts on the last few posts:

1. If anyone in the SD area is open to letting me give their WR, DRZ, or EXC a go I'll happily provide the beer. Let me know!

2. Gray areas for street legality are really not an option for me. I'll compromise on the "nimble factor" in order to ensure that I'm not going to have my plate yanked and/or a roadside debate with CHP. On that note, I'm not too interested in an AZ plate. But thank you for the heads up!

3. Not crazy about loading up a bike on my Acura TL either, haha. Again, I'll compromise a bit in order to make sure it's acceptable on the street. Not impressive, not outstanding, not super-fun, but do-able is all I'll ask. I can pony up for tires for the remainder of my time in Enci (1-2 years max).

4. So on to the orange train...what are my options that play in the same space? I see some 400 EXCs out there, and also 450s, 525s, and a 530. My question here is, which of these models are available factory street-legal in CA and where does the power start to get a little outside of my wheelhouse? Would a 525 be too much when compared to a WR250 or DRZ400? I don't want to buy something that's outside of my comfort zone for a first DS ride. Also, I know maintenance is more frequent on the KTMs. So is that just oil changes, or am I rebuilding these engines at twice the rate of a WR or DRZ?

The reality is, I'll probably ride this thing evenly between street/dirt and have long rides to dirt until I move away from the coast in the next year or so. At that time, if I want a more dedicated dirt machine I'll have the geographical flexibility to sell and "trade-up" to something more nimble. This is, in all reality, a test bike for me to feel out the DS space before deciding if it's a good compromise when compared to a CRF and a truck.

Thank you everyone again. This forum is amazingly helpful.

Here's what I know, which admittedly isn't a ton. The 2008 and later EXC-R KTM's (450 and 530) are street legal from the factory. This I know as a fact. I believe that the KTM's from 2007 and older are plated and street legal, but not from the factory. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with their plates on the older KTM's.

Maintenance: Again, this is my understanding based on owning a 2008 450 EXC-R and doing a metric ton of research before buying it, these bikes require more frequent oil changes, but are very durable engines. Some of the early ones, including mine, had oil transfer issues that are very well-documented on ADV and the fix is very easy. It's so easy I was able to do it and did not screw it up.

Hope that helps.

The reality is, I'll probably ride this thing evenly between street/dirt and have long rides to dirt until I move away from the coast in the next year or so.

Don't buy Orange.(yet). Pick up a DRZ for $2500 and thrash it.......then you can decide if this is a hobby you want to pursue.......and then, when you're through F'n around with the rest, you can move on to the best (Orange).

I would substitute "WRR" for DRZ but with the same advice. WRR is half an R1 motor and is absolutely bulletproof. Easily capable of 80mph for sustained periods and goes something like 22k miles between big services. That one in PHX I posted on your other thread would be an awesome bike and shouldn't cost much to own. You can then sell it for what you bought it for when you're ready to dial in the type of riding you really want to focus on. Search the ride reports on ADV and you'll find dozens of WRR's used for everything from Alaska to South America. Plus they look 100x cooler than a DRZ. :D

Stay away from KTM to start, imo. Costs way more to operate and the only one truly comfy on the highways will be a 690R. All the other options are truly plated dirtbikes and not intended for any type of sustained high speeds. Tiny oil capacities, frequent valve adjustments, way more cost to operate.

Thank you guys so much! You're all f*cking radical and this forum is ultra helpful. I'm out of the country most of this month but upon my return I look forward to a (very informed) purchase and syncing up with everyone for some rides!

Follow-up question:

Is there a website where I can check the VIN of a bike to make sure it's register-able?

Here's my concern:

I see a lot of bikes tricked out with new exhaust/header/intake and minus the EPA required nonsense. Assuming the bike is factory street-legal, would there ever be a circumstance where the DMV would look at it and decide not to renew registration? Do they even look at the bikes during a title transfer or will they simply run the VIN?

Thanks!

out of state bikes will be checked at the DMV... they gave me a hard time for bringing BACK a CA bike from Washington... a lot of them don't even KNOW what they are looking for

They don't currently check for smog equipment, and can't imagine them doing so for quite a few years... if it was street legal in CA originally, don't worry about mods; you should be fine (they MAY check for the emissions sticker, but doubtful)

out of state bikes and grey area bikes (CRFs, WRFs, etc) you have to check the VIN.

You originally said you didn't want any grey area bikes though.

Post the make model and year here... we're all on the internet so we're experts

Haha, perfect. I'm looking for a DRZ400s or WR250R, both factory street-legal. I'm also only going to pick up a bike with current CA plate and registration (no out-of-state transfers). So the only possible hitch would be taking it to the DMV and getting jammed up for some reason. Does such a reason exist?

I see a lot of DRZ400E bikes listed as "street legal," but I'm not messing with that. I'll stick to the S to be safe. Just wondering if there's a way to be sure that it's an S and not a modded E. Is there a place to check the VIN? How am I to know if a heavily modded DRZ is an S or E?

Thanks!

And on a similar note, will I need to have my M license prior to the title change? There's a chance that I'll buy and trailer home before I've got my M course done.

Out of state reg is super easy on a factory legal bike. Don't let that stop you. No worries about an endorsement to own, just to operate.

Like Vac said, you don't need to have your endorsement to register it, just to ride it.

I believe the mnfg tag on the head tube includes model number. The "E" designation if already plated if a grey area bike...dark grey...

Bluhdow,

Anyone transitioning to the pavement/dirt equation has faced your dilemma. Too big, too small, too much wind, too slow on the four lane. I my opinion you are attempting to hold two opposing concepts in you mind. Agreement from me to hold off on the Orange until you feel the restrictions of the heavy bikes on the slippery stuff. If you want to skip a step, I suggest a very small freeway-able trailer for that Acura and a Blue 250. My intel is that the Y 250 has better suspension. What do you say C'Daddy? If you are an experienced track rider, your transition to a DS bike will be fast. Once you get to Orange, rides to the bank are still doable, but the freeway will be Out!

Transition = FJR, 990, 690R, 350 EXC,,,,

Good Luck and Enjoy the Ride!

just sold my wifes CRF250L-she hated it-super heavy and really weak. Im a Honda romantic but that bike is crap for anyone with any ideas of off road use more than a graveled fire road.

shes now rocking the Husky FE 350 S and is I N L O V E

no its not cheap- thinking the DR is the best option-try to lighten it the best you can but i think its your best bet.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say I picked up a shiny "new" DRZ400S this past weekend! 2004 with low (1200) miles and I'm excited to get out and ride with everyone. I've got a few pieces of gear to pick up and an M license course to jam through but in the next few weeks I'll be browsing the informal ride forum to see what I can jump on from North County.

I'm in Leucadia/Encinitas so feel free to hit me up if you're local and interested in syncing up!

I'd attach some photos but A: I'm not sure how, and B: Y'all have seen a DRZ400 before I'm sure.

Thank you all again so much for your help. These forums have been hugely helpful!

I should also note that, on the way home from picking this bike up, the lady in my life expressed interest in finding a smaller ride for herself.

She's got some limited experience in the dirt and is very athletic and capable (professional equestrian athlete by trade). That said, she wants something smaller (she can't touch the ground on my bike) both physically and in terms of displacement...but I don't want her to get something she'll grow out of in 5 rides.

I was thinking XT250 or DR200 for her. I tend to think the XT is a better choice but she's drawn to the DR for some intangible reason. Maybe she just wants to be matching, haha.

Any ideas here? I'm asking her to wait a few weeks and let the idea simmer before making a snap decision. During that time we plan to do some research similar to what I did for my DRZ. I think she's a little short for a WR250 or KLX250. I honestly don't love the displacement/weight ratio on the CRF250L or CRF230L. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thoughts?

Thank you again!

good choice... some suggestions for getting the most from your DRZ. Assuming you have a truck or trailer, you can run some more aggressive gearing- 14-47 is the preferable dirt gearing. If you have to slab it to the riding areas, keep stock gearing, and a slab-happy rear tire. D606 for instance... front tire you can go more dirt-oriented, as the front lasts 3x as long as the rear

if you trailer out, get a tire suited to your area... for the desert you want a different tire than for rock-infested trails

mandatory armor for the bike: skid plate, side covers, bark busters

mandatory armor for you: helmet, gloves, elbow, knee and chest protection and some good boots. Goggles or shield

you can probably ride in dirt areas without an endorsement, just not in street legal areas like access roads to kernan and lark

go to thumpertalk and read up on the DRZ. It seems to be one of the favorite bikes of that forum, and they have some real gurus... marquez and burned to name a few.

my DRZ has been through Hell and back, and still seems to suit me the best (and many bikes has spent time in my garage)

do the 3x3 mod, and rejet (I can help if you need it) and re-gear for dirt-only action, and the bike works a lot better. It's a little top heavy (and heavy in general) so keep momentum up and work on your balance... feet on the pegs and gas it

congrats on the purchase

I do have access to a truck so anywhere far (let's say 1 hour plus) I would truck it versus ride. Under 1 hour, I'm keen to just ride there.

The rear sprocket is 49 teeth. I can't easily see the front so I'm not sure there. The previous owner said it was geared for dirt so maybe it's a tooth or two smaller than stock. What is the stock front? What is the stock rear?

I would like to have more middle-ground gearing. Not aggressively dirt or street, somewhere in the middle. Suggestions?

Skid plate is already on. Bark busters are already on. Side covers? I'm not sure. God I wish I knew how to just upload pictures!

Endorsement is pending, as is gear. Should all be squared away by the end of this month.

It's already got the airbox mod and jetting. This thing pretty much came ready to roll from an experienced dual-sporter. I'm thrilled with the purchase! Can't wait to get out there!

if he did all the other stuff, he probably put the case savers on... stainless or aluminum discs on each side of the bottom end, near the shift and rear brake pedals.

He was running 15-49 which is the same I'm running as soon as I switch it out... good trail gearing... sucky freeway gearing. As in "don't do it"

Stock is 15-44... I do consider that middle ground. It will cruise around 70

15-41 is the SM gearing, and I would do that (have done that) for everything except technical singletrack. for fireroads and backroads, it's a blast with SM gearing. On Ranger or Bronco Connector, it would suck... I rode it up trail 3 at corral, and was lugging it. It will cruise about 80

I doubt he went 14-49 though, so you're probably at 15-49, which will cruise at 60ish comfortably, and that's about it. Not fit for I-8 all the way to lark , though.

Sounds like you're set up... join a ride and start scratching that thing

Yeah, I'm thinking the case savers are on there. They also read "Baja Designs" so it's clearly not stock.

Might be worth picking up a 44 tooth rear, no? They seem cheap enough. Is there an easy way to verify the front gearing?