goon

Tapping new Handlebars for Handguards

I just got a new set of handlebars and I would like to put my old handguards on them, but the new bars are not tapped. I looked into getting a tapping tool, but there aren't a lot of them online and they're at least $25. I feel like this is a common enough situation that there would be more product availability, so I was wondering if any of y'all had some wisdom to share on this. Do I need to just get the tapping tool or is there a better way of going about this?

Tapped where? In the ends? Usually the expanding "tap" is part of the hand guard, and inserts into the bar. I hope you're not talking about drilling the bar wall...

When I put Vibranators on the DR, it came with a tap - since they screwed in. Maybe these guards are the same? Lemme check to see if I still have mine.

Yeah, I'm talking about on the ends. The handguards I have were from the previous owner, and he still has whatever he used to install them. I still have the bolts, there just isn't anything to thread them into on my bars.

I was going by this video (starting at 6:25)

Someone on here will have the tap and let you borrow it, I'm sure. I borrowed one from a member about a year ago...now, who was it???

First run thru the garage was unsuccessful. I vaguely remember someone (ThumperBob maybe) picking up something from me....and saying "there's a tap in here, ya want it?" "If it's in there, I haven't used it in a year, take it with you."

I'll keep my eyes open but yeah, LB said, someone here has one for sure - 2 of 'em are on a ride for a bit.

Just went through my PM's in an effort to figure out who I borrowed the HDB handgaurd tap from but couldn't find it, sorry. Hopefully someone answers up.

Awesome guys, thanks for checking. Hopefully I can get my hands on one before the noob ride on Sunday

I've got one in Ramona you're welcome to use. I get "down the hill" often - where are you?

I'm going down to the County building off Clairemont Mesa and Overland about 1:30 tomorrow and hitting up the Costco on Convoy on Friday noonish

HDB sends a tap with the kit. What did the Previous Owner do with it?

Hey Goon... I have the tap that came with my HDB hand guards you can borrow. I'm in PB, so pretty close. PM me and we can set something up to get it to you before Sunday.

If you know the thread and pitch, you can pick up a tap set at harbor freight easily enough.

I was cutting off the ends of my grips and I just realized that the inner diameter of my tube is greater than the diameter of the bolt for my handguards. I guess this means that boring out is not the way to go. Does anyone know what I am supposed to do now? MY handlebars are Renthal Jimmy Buttons and the handguards are Acerbis Multiconcepts. Apparently when I removed the handguards, I destroyed the bar inserts, so now I need to get a new pair of those. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it!