dirt dame

01/05/08 LIKE A PRIVATE PARADISE

Hee hee. I had my own private riding area all to myself today, and boy howdy was it ever great! :)

I meandered out to the garage after breakfast and picked out a bike, the Husqvarna, because Trajan is way behind in helpings of mud he should have been served by now and because he really, really, really likes mud and rain riding like I do. I loaded him up along with the old British rainsuit....and it was off to McCain.

The road in was as squooshy as I have ever seen it and almost as much of an adventure to drive on as the trail ride itself. When I got to the staging area, there was not another soul there and not much evidence that there had been people there earlier in the morning. It was quiet and peaceful, except for the roaring wind and driving rain. :lol: Perfect for me! The weather may have been wet, but it was relatively warm for a winter storm, so the TE lit up right away and off we went.

Traction came and traction went. I hit all the little singletracks and some of the main trails. I hit the loop near the end of the main road. The usual stuff. The bike felt just wonderful. My feet got soaked, but I had wool socks on, so not terribly cold. It was raining so much that the bike never got very muddy; it just kept getting rinsed off. :D I never saw anybody out on the trail or at any of the parking areas, even when I came back at the end of the ride. It was like my own secret riding day ;) Nobody else knew how great a trailriding day they were missing, so this is just between you and me, okay? Don't tell anybody, or they'll all be out there next time it rains like hell :lol: .

post-892-1199588333.jpg?width=1920&heigh
post-892-1199588292.jpg?width=1920&heigh

post-892-1199588292_thumb.jpg

post-892-1199588333_thumb.jpg

Hee hee. I had my own private riding area all to myself today, and boy howdy was it ever great! :)

I meandered out to the garage after breakfast and picked out a bike, the Husqvarna, because Trajan is way behind in helpings of mud he should have been served by now and because he really, really, really likes mud and rain riding like I do. I loaded him up along with the old British rainsuit....and it was off to McCain.

The road in was as squooshy as I have ever seen it and almost as much of an adventure to drive on as the trail ride itself. When I got to the staging area, there was not another soul there and not much evidence that there had been people there earlier in the morning. It was quiet and peaceful, except for the roaring wind and driving rain. :lol: Perfect for me! The weather may have been wet, but it was relatively warm for a winter storm, so the TE lit up right away and off we went.

Traction came and traction went. I hit all the little singletracks and some of the main trails. I hit the loop near the end of the main road. The usual stuff. The bike felt just wonderful. My feet got soaked, but I had wool socks on, so not terribly cold. It was raining so much that the bike never got very muddy; it just kept getting rinsed off. :D I never saw anybody out on the trail or at any of the parking areas, even when I came back at the end of the ride. It was like my own secret riding day :D Nobody else knew how great a trailriding day they were missing, so this is just between you and me, okay? Don't tell anybody, or they'll all be out there next time it rains like hell ;) .

"Possibly the worlds laziest trail rider" you say? I think not!!! :D

Good for you getting out there on a nasty day like this :lol: ..........Dirt Dame was Super Dame today!

:lol: NICE!

I thought about taking off for slinging some mud myself today but had to go and stock up on some Groceries, dang teenagers (and Sailors) eat allot :lol:

Good on ya!

Hope to catch up with you on a ride soon, now go get a cup of Hot Chocolate and throw that wet riding gear in the dryer. ;)

:lol: NICE!

I thought about taking off for slinging some mud myself today but had to go and stock up on some Groceries, dang teenagers (and Sailors) eat allot :lol:

Good on ya!

Hope to catch up with you on a ride soon, now go get a cup of Hot Chocolate and throw that wet riding gear in the dryer. :)

Hot chocolate? I stopped for soft freeze icecream at Pine Valley on the way home, ;) then I hosed off the riding suit, ate some dinner and I'm drinking an iced coca cola.

Traction came and traction went. I hit all the little singletracks and some of the main trails. I hit the loop near the end of the main road. The usual stuff. The bike felt just wonderful. My feet got soaked, but I had wool socks on, so not terribly cold. It was raining so much that the bike never got very muddy; it just kept getting rinsed off. :D I never saw anybody out on the trail or at any of the parking areas, even when I came back at the end of the ride. It was like my own secret riding day ;) Nobody else knew how great a trailriding day they were missing, so this is just between you and me, okay? Don't tell anybody, or they'll all be out there next time it rains like hell :lol: .

Sounds Fun day !! I love ride on the mud ! Im tired of dust !! :D

I will be in Mccain Valley tomorrow all day long ! if someone want to enjoy we see in there , I will be there around 10 am

Stefano

how do you call a lady a stud without offending her: her studness?

how do you call a lady a stud without offending her: her studness?

I s'pose it's better than "her mudness" ;)

I vote for Crawdaddy's "Super Dame". :lol::lol:

I don’t know if you can call Mimi “her studness” or not. But I do know that Dirt Dame is quite the rider. ;) I went up to McCain valley with her after a rain before and had a great time. It was a bit cold that day but still fun.

Anytime you see her post a ride in the rain or mud…. JOIN HER. You won’t regret it (until you have to wash the bike). I just wish that I didn’t have to work today so I could have joined her. :D

Mimi I’m looking forward to doing that single track through the bush along the ravine with you again. That was fun! I’ve got Ragamuffin running 100 percent better and I’m riding a little bit better as well. :lol: A great thing about the rain is that I can blame it for all my falls right? :) That’s right, I'm a great rider, it was the rain. Think anyone will believe me? :lol:

I don’t know if you can call Mimi “her studness” or not. But I do know that Dirt Dame is quite the rider. ;) I went up to McCain valley with her after a rain before and had a great time. It was a bit cold that day but still fun.

Anytime you see her post a ride in the rain or mud…. JOIN HER. You won’t regret it (until you have to wash the bike). I just wish that I didn’t have to work today so I could have joined her. :D

Mimi I’m looking forward to doing that single track through the bush along the ravine with you again. That was fun! I’ve got Ragamuffin running 100 percent better and I’m riding a little bit better as well. :lol: A great thing about the rain is that I can blame it for all my falls right? :) That’s right, I'm a great rider, it was the rain. Think anyone will believe me? :lol:

I rode that little single track that has the ravine portion with the TE. It was the first time for that bike. Looks like a few people have discovered it since you and I rode on it, so there's not quite as much brush sticking out into the trail.

Glad you and Rags are making better trail weapons out of each other. :D

I rode that little single track that has the ravine portion with the TE. It was the first time for that bike. Looks like a few people have discovered it since you and I rode on it, so there's not quite as much brush sticking out into the trail.

Is that the trail that runs east/west at the far northern end of the area? North of that "big rock" (I think that's what it's called - it's a big rock) and runs all the way to McCain Valley Road? That's a fun trail! Is it in the OHV area? We've ridden it and on the way back south seen signs going the opposite direction that say "leaving OHV area".

If it's the trail I'm thinking about, I got "fishlined" on it. Mickey was riding his 125 ahead of me, and as I came around a corner, I caught a glimpse of something across the trail. Someone had stretched a length of fishing line across at head height. Mickey went under it and never saw it, I ducked and caught it with my visor, snapping it after some forceful tugging before I could stop. Needless to say, I was PISSED!!!!

Is that the trail that runs east/west at the far northern end of the area? North of that "big rock" (I think that's what it's called - it's a big rock) and runs all the way to McCain Valley Road? That's a fun trail! Is it in the OHV area? We've ridden it and on the way back south seen signs going the opposite direction that say "leaving OHV area".

If it's the trail I'm thinking about, I got "fishlined" on it. Mickey was riding his 125 ahead of me, and as I came around a corner, I caught a glimpse of something across the trail. Someone had stretched a length of fishing line across at head height. Mickey went under it and never saw it, I ducked and caught it with my visor, snapping it after some forceful tugging before I could stop. Needless to say, I was PISSED!!!!

No, it is not the trail you are describing, not even close to it. The trail I think you are describing is in a grey area, as it is not posted, nor does it seem to be patrolled.. I was wondering when you had this incident with the fishline. Was it about a little over a year ago? The reason I am asking is because a little over a year ago I was riding my KTM on a single track in about the same area and while coming down a hill and going into a turn, I spyed something unusual in the trail. As I rolled to the bottom of the hill and prepared to make the righthand turn I saw the corner of some thin belting material sticking up out of the sand; maybe about the size of a dorito chip. It just looked so wrong that I skirted it and parked at the turn, then walked back and stared at it. Then I reached down and pulled, but it was anchored under the sand. After a tug or two, I yanked a 2 foot long spike strip complete with anchor pegs up from under about two inches of dirt. There were about five rows of 2 inch screws running the complete length of the belting material and this whole idiotic contraption had been placed lengthwise across the single track. If I hadn't spotted the one corner sticking up, I would have gone right across it and possibly gotten a flat tire. I say possibly, because it was pretty flimsy and the screws could have also been pushed over on impact. But who is to say? I was real steamed and I took it off behind a bush and buried it spikes down, so nobody could find it or get disabled by it. If it was on public trail land, it had no business being there, and if it was on private property, the property needed to be posted, not boobytrapped. I have ridden there since and found no more evidence of such twisted rubbish. Seemed to be an isolated incident thought up by people with small brains and a little too much time on their hands.

This type of thing comes up every few years. It’s is the same bull$#!t as spiking trees. :lol: The people doing it just think that they are going to stop some activity that they don’t like, such as tree cutting or trail riding. But they can end up murdering somebody. :lol: Especially the tree spiking actions in the northwest. The chainsaw hits the spike breaking the blade which whips around and kills the logger.

When I was a kid back in the 70s someone put a thin cable across a popular trail in San Carlos. The cable was thin enough that it was hard to see. A rider was standing up, going at speed, when he hit it with his neck. Wire cable is much stronger then fishing line so you can guess the rest.

I would love to explain to these people the errors of their ways (in a small dark room). They put their cause above human life. If they can’t stop something they don’t like (trail riding, logging) through the democratic process they think they have the right to kill to stop it. F###ing elitists mentality, think they know better then everyone else. Ok I'll get off my soap box. Glad that you are alright, now go ride!

No, it is not the trail you are describing, not even close to it. The trail I think you are describing is in a grey area, as it is not posted, nor does it seem to be patrolled.. I was wondering when you had this incident with the fishline. Was it about a little over a year ago? The reason I am asking is because a little over a year ago I was riding my KTM on a single track in about the same area and while coming down a hill and going into a turn, I spyed something unusual in the trail. As I rolled to the bottom of the hill and prepared to make the righthand turn I saw the corner of some thin belting material sticking up out of the sand; maybe about the size of a dorito chip. It just looked so wrong that I skirted it and parked at the turn, then walked back and stared at it. Then I reached down and pulled, but it was anchored under the sand. After a tug or two, I yanked a 2 foot long spike strip complete with anchor pegs up from under about two inches of dirt. There were about five rows of 2 inch screws running the complete length of the belting material and this whole idiotic contraption had been placed lengthwise across the single track. If I hadn't spotted the one corner sticking up, I would have gone right across it and possibly gotten a flat tire. I say possibly, because it was pretty flimsy and the screws could have also been pushed over on impact. But who is to say? I was real steamed and I took it off behind a bush and buried it spikes down, so nobody could find it or get disabled by it. If it was on public trail land, it had no business being there, and if it was on private property, the property needed to be posted, not boobytrapped. I have ridden there since and found no more evidence of such twisted rubbish. Seemed to be an isolated incident thought up by people with small brains and a little too much time on their hands.

It's probably the same trail and it was a year or so ago (probably a little over a year). We followed the big loop trail that runs up the western edge of the OHV area (I can't remember the name offhand), which loops around to this trail on the north. We've ridden it a few times and area always amazed that we somehow got "out of bounds" when we cross back into the area by "big rock". We never see any signs or indications that we are leaving the area or entering private property, but somewhere we do. It's a good thing I saw it or it would have been right about throat level and could have knocked me off had I not "braced for impact".

wow, didn't know people hated dirt bikes so much. I agree with dirt dame, they should just put a keep out sign if its restricted. I wonder if the horse riders are the ones that hate dirt bikers?

Well, enough of this hissy-boo talk about enviro-weeners and dirtbike haters :lol: . Just remember to be polite to the horsey gang and be ever vigilant against bungling evil-doers attempts to do stupid things to us. And above all, let's enjoy our little paradise while we can. :lol:;)

You Rock!

I can't wait to ride with you.

I have been tempted to go off riding alone, but my boyfriend would kill me. Don't you worry about something unforseen happening? Breakdown? crash? etc...

I went riding in Mammoth alone one year on my TTR and couldn't help thinking that if I fell and broke something and couldn't ride back then NO one would find me for days. I would end up being a bear popsicle in the morning. ;)

I have to admire your confidence!

You Rock!

I have been tempted to go off riding alone, but my boyfriend would kill me. Don't you worry about something unforseen happening? Breakdown? crash? etc...

I went riding in Mammoth alone one year on my TTR and couldn't help thinking that if I fell and broke something and couldn't ride back then NO one would find me for days. I would end up being a bear popsicle in the morning. ;)

I second that. Sometimes the best riding is riding alone at your own pace and doing your own thing. You tend to take more time and are more observant and end up finding all sorts of neat stuff that you might have missed if just following someone else. Granted riding in a group is always better and usually much more fun, but I know I have for years disappeared into the desert for a day by myself when I had a really weird work schedule and was done for the week at 5am Friday and would just head straight out to the dez. Always had a great time. I take a cell phone and tell the spousal unit if she doesn't hear from me by a certain time (usually a time that I would normally be about an hour away from being home) to send out the calvary. If no calvary, bring out the scatter gun the following day to blast the coyotes and buzzards that are picking at my sun bleached bones! ;)

Hey guys you don’t get all of it. Not only does she ride by herself. She gets ice cream after these frozen rides!!! Now that’s ballsy. :o;)

Wait until she tells you what happens on some of these trips she takes and how she handles them. I tell you she is a great rider, I learn a lot watching her and riding with her. But a lot of the fun going with her is talking with her during the rest periods or after the rides. Mimi you ROCK (or in terms of my generation you’re RAD)! ;)

You Rock!

I don't think too much about danger. I am a careful rider and I only think about how much I love to ride. If I spent a lot of time worrying about crashing or getting stranded, it'd ruin my ride. Of course it is better to ride with other people than to ride alone, but that isn't always possible. I wouldn't get to ride nearly as much as I do if I had to wait for other people to go with me. I always make sure my bikes are prepped and in as reliable shape as I can get them to be, I carry tools, usually a cell phone, although admittedly my phone often doesn't work in the places that I ride, some snacks and water and I am properly dressed for weather conditions....after that it's off to the trails. The fact that I am a worrywart and a wussy doesn't triumph over my strong love of two-wheeling.

Hey guys you don’t get all of it. Not only does she ride by herself. She gets ice cream after these frozen rides!!! Now that’s ballsy. :P;)

Whit until she tells you what happens on some of these trips she takes and how she handles them. I tell you she is a great rider, I learn a lot watching her and riding with her. But a lot of the fun going with her is talking with her during the rest periods or after the rides. Mimi you ROCK (or in terms of my generation you’re RAD)! ;)

For those of you who don't know, KLRoger is my press agent :o .