2Wheels

Tire Recycling

I haven't checked these boards in a while so I don't know if this topic has come up. If it has, mods, please merge.

A lot of us change our own tires. What to do with the old ones?
I took some small tires today to a San Diego County Recycling Event in Alpine. They were mostly getting old car tires but they had no problem accepting the small tires. I asked about bicycle tires and they said they'd take them too since they're all made of the same stuff. Search for tire recycling event to see if any are coming up.
The guys accepting the tires were from Reliable Tire Co. San Diego. Normally they charge a fee to take waste tires. The guys at the event just drove the trucks and they didn't know how much the fee was, but they thought it was way less than the $4.00 tire shops charge to take old car tires. They thought it would be even less for a small tire like a lawn mower tire or a bicycle tire.
Reliable Tire Company San Diego
(If the link doesn't work, copy and paste)
2432 Commercial Street
San Diego CA 92113
619-232-0780

I was there too...dropped off SIXTEEN old tires; they made a point to tell me they can't accept more than 9 from one vehicle or something, but let me drop them off anyway. the stack was pretty impressive next to my garage. Time to start a new one

The Miramar Recycle Center takes car tire up to 18" for $2 each. Not sure if they take motorcycle tires. I'll call next week and find out. I have a bunch I need to get rid of.

I thank you for the tip about the Miramar Recycle Center. Better to have more options.

Bicycle tubes and tires:

• I took an old bicycle tire to REI Chula Vista yesterday and they had no problem accepting it. They said they also accept tubes.

• According to this 2012 Performance Bicycle document, they accept tubes and tires for recycling. I haven't been there since 2012 so I can't personally verify.

The Miramar Recycle Center takes car tire up to 18" for $2 each. Not sure if they take motorcycle tires. I'll call next week and find out. I have a bunch I need to get rid of.

UPDATE -

Miramar takes car tires but won't accept motorcycle tires! Guess they just want you to throw them in the dump? I've got 11 mc and atv tires. Not sure what I'm going to do with them :whistle:

I have dropped them off at a lot of tire places, no charge. Evans is usually my go-to place.

I ran automotive shops for ten years most will be cool enough to just take them from you as long as you don't bring them over 5 at once. Or you can also cut in half with hacksaw and out in trash can totally legal.

Just got an email back from Reliable. They take mc and ATV tires. $2 each. You pay them not they pay you:)