tp2400

Helmet Suggestions

In need of a new helmet, my last one got stolen out of my garage and my back-up helmet sucks. Looking to drop $300-$400 on it, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Below is the one that got stolen. I liked it but got uncomfortable after about an hour of riding.

http://www.bikerperformance.com/afx-fx-17-american-flag-off-road-motorcycle-helmet-stealth-black-p13430.html

Just when another oil thread drops off, a helmet thread pops up.

I understand there are basically two shapes of heads in the "good helmet" category; Shoei heads and Arai heads... I have a Shoei head; an Arai just does not fit.

that being said... I find HJC helmets to be ok helmets, and much better priced.

I won't buy a helmet on-line, just because fit matters SO much (and I won't go to a brick and mortar store to fit a helmet, then go buy on line; seems unethical, but I don't begrudge others this option)

SO... I wear a Shoei large, and I like my HJC (Which I had to buy short notice when my Shoei got jacked) Large..

Good luck in your search

Thanks for the info, I wear a Shoei on the street and have owned HJC before. But have owned neither for a dirt helmet.

I have an oval (as opposed to round) head. Just did a bunch of research this week and found that in my price range (cheap as possible) there is only one oval DS helmet - the LS2 MX453. I just ordered a hi-viz yellow one from Amazon; I'm awaiting delivery. Fingers crossed.

Supposedly it is fiberglass instead of plastic and a bunch of Dakar riders have used it in the past 3 years. There is a thread on these over at Advrider.com. Here is the Amazon link.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E55JOTO/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1429735947&sr=1&keywords=ls2+mx453

I have a Shoei hornet and a Shoei Vfx dirt helmet. They're both all day comfortable and high quality. Like you I came from a Shoei street helmet background and didn't want to sacrifice on quality for the 'ol bean.

I checked out the ls2 when they first started getting attention on adv and have been curious. Anxious to hear your feedback.

As discussed current is Shoei vfx-w, past Troy Lee Designs Air.

Both are/were good for me. Find what fits your head and budget. Try on a bunch.

get out there and try a bunch of helmets and get the one that fits the best. I am wearing a Fly Formula MX. pretty light, vents really well, and has great interior padding. the pads are not your typical foam, hard to explain but it feels great and doesnt get that soggy feeling when super sweaty.

anyways, they all fit slightly different. even if you narrow down to round and oval. an HJC oval is not he same as a bell oval and shoei oval. I initially wanted a shoei vfx or a troy lee SE. tried them on and immediately tossed out the troy lee, than i had to walk around for a bit with the shoei to realize i had a pressure point right on my forehead. on paper those 2 helmets should have fit, but they are all a bit different. I ended up picking between the Fly formula and a thor. went with the fly for the lighter weight and came with some extra things i thought were cool. having snapped a bill before i though fly giving me a second matching one was cool, and the padding in the fly was something i thought was cool and gave it a shot. i was glad i did. point being, dont go in saying you know what helmet you want to get and not try on everything that you can get your hands on that is comparable.

Not that my opinion matters, after all it's just an opinion, to be taken with a grain of salt and a shot of tequila. I tried a lot of helmets for myself from expensive to cheap and trying them on is the key to figuring what fits right. For dirt I ended up with an O'neal 8 series 2xl, comfortable and I could get my temples of my glasses over instead of in my ears. For everything else I went modular and after trying the whole spectrum having fell in love with the fit of my off road helmet ended up with the now discontinued Piuma again from O'neal in a 2xl as well. After going head first through the rear window of a car I retired the first Piuma and bought another from remaining dealer stock. I'm just saying don't discount any brand because they all fit different and what doesn't fit one might fit another. Remember, you're resting your life and survival on the equipment you choose, but no pressure, right.

My 2cents.....I took my wife helmet shopping recently looking for a comfortable helmet for her to wear in our buggy. I was shocked how differently helmets that were the same size, even the same manufacturer, fit her head. She must have squeezed her head into 50 helmets at 4 different shops. I wanted her in a Shoei, she settled on a Fox. I'm currently wearing O'Neal. IMO, find one that fits perfect and buy that helmet, if they get you one from the stock room make sure to try it on as it will probably fit differently than the one you tried on. I agree with the above post, don't disqualify a helmet based on brand or even price (ok there is a limit on price, don't go too cheap) . A proper fitting 200 dollar helmet is better than a poor fitting 700 dollar helmet.

The problem is most people wear a helmet that's too loose on their head. On the street I wear an Arai XD-4. It fits pretty tight and won't move around. My cheeks are smashed in a little and after 4 or 5 hours I'm glad to get it off, but you need this kind of fit for a helemt to do it's job in a crash. Off road I wear a 6D helmet. It also is a firm fit but the cheek pads don't really smash my face as much. Both of these helmets are expensive but if you figure how many hours you wear them and the protection they give you they are worth it.

6d-helmets-atr-1-stealth-orange-charcoal

arai_xd4_explore_helmet_orange_detail_zp

CiD

Lots of good info, appreciate it! Gonna spend my Saturday driving around to different shops and shoving my head in some.

Ended up going with the Shoei VFX-W, I was rather unimpressed with the Fox line-up and HJC did not have a consistent fit. HJC seemed to fit differently depending on the model. Shoei felt like home and MotoWorld included goggles (Oakley Proven) with the purchase of the helmet. The added military discount was also a nice touch!