Chief Gunner

Pine Valley Ride / Kernan Cycle trail

Rachel and I got off to a later than expected start this morning, showed up at the trail head a little after 9. Hope we did not miss anyone :(

Met up with Justin and James (or was it Jeremy, sorry If I got it wrong :D ) It was great to meet & ride with you guys. Thanks for all your patience, welcome to the collective! :D Also met John on his Blue Yamaha WR, very nice guy. Hope you all meet up with the others and myself for some great long distance dual sport rides soon. :D

Perfect riding conditions today, moist and tons of traction! Stood the pig up a few times with ease!

136-3605_IMG.jpg

They were looking to head out to the Kernan trail and find their way out to CC.....So I told them I'd show them the way if they did not mind a slow pace with me and Rachel as she was getting used to her new ride. Off we went....Rachel had a minor dismount on the edge of the road trying to avoid rocks, she landed softly and continued on to the Helo pad where we met up as a group.

After a little break we were ready to take off and Justin noticed Rachel's Chain had separated :D The guys were very patient and waited while I borrowed some tools and put a new master link & clip together.

I'm still mad at myself about not bringing my tool kit, I usually carry more than I need :D I think the chain got pinched when Rachel climbed over the ledge of the asphalt to the helo pad. No worries though, I adjusted the chain and everything was good for the rest of the ride :D Thanks again for your patience guys B)

135-3599_IMG.jpg

136-3601_IMG.jpg

From the helo pad we headed out and then down the trail, we came to the old abandoned house at the bottom of the hill and I realized we had gone past the infamous "Single track". So back up the hill we went, I had a hard time trying to remember exactly where the trail was but found it.

Someone left a nice pile of rocks there. It's very easy to spot now. The last time I was out there with Backhoedoc and Trashman we took a trail that dead ended before we found the right one.

We started down the trail a bit and when we stopped Rachel let me know that she had just about had enough practice with horizontal parking for the day :D and that she was hungry. So from there we turned around and headed for the truck.

She did much better on the way back than on her way in, by then she was warmed up and riding with much more confidence B)

mybabehh006.jpg

36 miles round trip for us, not too shabby for only her second ride on her Christmas present.

See you on a ride soon!

Gunz

Glad you guys had fun. I thought about the ride all day, but spent my day either resting and watching TV or running a couple of local errands and of course blowing my nose alot :D .

We missed you Mimi. Rachel and I hope you feel better soon! :D She's looking forward to meeting and riding with you in the near future.

Thanks again Gunz and Rachel for showing us around! I hope to do it again soon.

Here are some pics from the day...

New_100_0004.jpg

New_100_0005.jpg

New_100_0006.jpg

New_100_0007.jpg

New_100_0009.jpg

New_100_0011.jpg

New_100_0012.jpg

New_100_0013.jpg

New_100_0014.jpg

ps. "Justin and James" you got it right...!

Hey gunner,

I am going to look into some new handlebars for the drz. Any recommendations or tips on what to get?

If anyone else has any thoughts feel free to comment as well.

Thanks in advance,

James

Hey gunner,

I am going to look into some new handlebars for the drz. Any recommendations or tips on what to get?

Thanks in advance,

James

I went with some aluminum CR High bars for our DRZ400S. They are a bit taller than the stock bars, it's a pretty good setup. I stayed with 7/8" bars but I prefer the big bars. When these bend I'll get some bar adapters and go with the 1 1/8" bars.

Hey gunner,

Thanks in advance,

James

I went with some aluminum CR High bars for our DRZ400S. They are a bit taller than the stock bars, it's a pretty good setup. I stayed with 7/8" bars but I prefer the big bars. When these bend I'll get some bar adapters and go with the 1 1/8" bars.

tnt-

I was out earlier today and came home with Renthal 7/8" handlebars $74 bucks... (they seem to give me 1 1/2"-2" of additional rise). My stock drz bars are pretty straight so I actually went with the ATV Renthals which seem to also be straight and give me the rise I was looking for... From what i learned today it seems to me that the CR High bars have a more angled bend to achieve the additional height... is that correct? any concerns about what i bought?

thanks again,

James; This picture says allot: You are a taller guy so the extra rise will help you while standing on the bike and it will ease strain on your lower back so you are not hunched over while sitting.

New_100_0009.jpg

I believe it helps with correct body position and posture which means better control at low and high speeds ;)

Once I swapped out I sure noticed it, If you find that you need more height later there are other set ups available out there.

For taller guy's with longer reaches I recommend the Pro Taper fatties with a "CR double high" bend with the 1" riser clamps. :) I used them on both the XR and my KLX400R and had good experiences with them.

Bar height, bend and width are usually a personal choice, try different things out and go with what makes you comfortable :D

Good on ya, see you on a ride soon!

Looks like you had perfect conditions! Some buddies and I used to ride to the Helo Pad and back as a way to get some practice on our vintage motocross bikes. One guy had a 500cc Triumph Twin and a '68 BSA 250cc, the other guy had a Bultaco Pursang, I had a beater '70 Husqvarna 400 Cross. There used to be a little makeshift practice motocross track just down in a gully just before the Helo Pad. Nine times out of ten one of us would have some kind of mechanical trouble when we'd decide to head back. One time my buddies BSA had to ride in the back of a Jeep to get out of there.

Hey gunner,

Thanks in advance,

James

tnt-

I was out earlier today and came home with Renthal 7/8" handlebars $74 bucks... (they seem to give me 1 1/2"-2" of additional rise). My stock drz bars are pretty straight so I actually went with the ATV Renthals which seem to also be straight and give me the rise I was looking for... From what i learned today it seems to me that the CR High bars have a more angled bend to achieve the additional height... is that correct? any concerns about what i bought?

thanks again,

Thanks Jon O;....James; I sent you PM with my phone # and Address, hope you and Justin take me up on the offer! :D

Looks like a lot of fun, been riding out there many times. Hope I can catch up with some of you soon, would love to ride with ya.

Once I swapped out I sure noticed it, If you find that you need more height later there are other set ups available out there.

Trail Tech makes some nice bars/clamps. The ATV Bars come in a "High Bend"