Sign in to follow this  
HotRod82

Plaster city to salton sea loop

Arrived at painted gorge turn off at 830.

Unloaded

Dressed

Took off

Bike quit running less than 1 minute later

Worked on bike

Concluded probable ignition failure

Cussed at bike and considered lighting it on fire

Loaded up and went home

Shopped craigslist and looked for a plated crf

I think I'm done with the Orange money pits.

The end.

That's a bummer happened to me once or twice

Crap. Any update on what it might have been? I always wonder about taking spares with me, as imagine that happening 20 miles from anywhere.

My "1 min in to the ride" failure was the stator....

im a bit new to the lingo-im assuming Orange money pit is KTM-just got a 350 EXCF-shes new so no incidents yet-is it common in older models-new?-sorry to bring up a sore subject just wondering.

im a bit new to the lingo-im assuming Orange money pit is KTM-just got a 350 EXCF-shes new so no incidents yet-is it common in older models-new?-sorry to bring up a sore subject just wondering.

I also just got new ktm. Hope I get some years of trouble free use.

I have two 2006 KTM 525 EXC's one has over 700 hours on it the other has about 300. Neither has ever broken down. My 07 KTM 950 SE left me stranded once but it was my own fault for forgetting to connect a wire. If you take care of most bikes they will take care of you.

CID

If you take care of most bikes / women they will take care of you.

Well said CID

I have two 2006 KTM 525 EXC's one has over 700 hours on it the other has about 300. Neither has ever broken down. My 07 KTM 950 SE left me stranded once but it was my own fault for forgetting to connect a wire. If you take care of most bikes they will take care of you.

CID

Yeah, I'm a maintenance nazi, virtually all of my riding is in the middle of nowhere over night or multi day stuff. My 07 525 gets a full service every ride, every nut and bolt gets a wrench put on it. To be fair, it's been a great bike but me and my 2 main riding buddies have poured thousands into our ktms over the last year. My friends 08 450 has 103 hours on it and smokes like a freight train., so it's getting a new top end. I rebuilt this bike at 300 hours and it has been nothing but trouble since, I think it's just wore out , I really do run it hard. I haven't looked at it yet, I'm traveling until next week. I just had to vent after my 2002 xr 650 went thousands of hard Mexico prerun miles without needing as much as a spark plug. I'll post up what the failure was when I get home in a week.