tvscum

Ramona to Anza to Idyllwild (and back) solo - March 7

Double shot latte to start off Saturday morning at Packards. The only guy to show up was ring a great escape BMW and he wasn't going to Idyllwild, so I set out solo.

IMG_1728_zpsmbj50nqa.jpg

Set out up Santa Ysabel TT. The hills were green and the weather nice!

IMG_1729_zpsxveqdipd.jpg

IMG_1730_zpsqcattxlg.jpg

15 miles out of Ramona I got a front flat. The tire had been losing air on and off. I suspect it was a valve stem issue. Filled it up and hobbled back to All American KTM where they did all the hard work. Gave me a chance to check out the new 500 EXC. Lust.

IMG_1731_zpsfngcgewj.jpg

image_zpsoitjt0ae.jpg

Made it up to Chihuahua Valley Rd and the Lieu Quan Meditation Center, but I did not meditate. This is the area where that missing hiker mysteriously disappeared a couple weeks back.

IMG_1735_zpsevdixpjg.jpg

IMG_1742_zpsreuv6xa3.jpg

If you keep going east where Chihuahua Valley Rd. curves to the south, you hit Lost Valley Rd.

IMG_1738_zpsgorzvg96.jpg

I could see the mountains of Idyllwild and Big Bear in the distance!

IMG_1744_zpsl9kqvojc.jpg

Took a buzz through Cooper Cienega. It's in the video:

Tule Spring, which is at the end of Tule Canyon TT. Really nice ride out there. Passed a shooting range on the way. I am told by a Pacific Crest Trail "angel" that you can drink the water from Tule Spring. It flows up through a garden hose from the natural pressure underground. See the video above.

A3944F92-8FA9-468B-B17B-095602CE9CBE_zps

IMG_1745_zpspxvqksnv.jpg

IMG_1751_zpszcsikcxo.jpg

That's the climb up from Tule Spring.

IMG_1750_zpsrtwucacj.jpg

This is where PCT crosses Tule Canyon TT. I am told all the solo hikers stop at the spring for water.

IMG_1755_zpsjgmyirjt.jpg

IMG_1753_zpszclttpnl.jpg

Stopped in Anza for some gas.

IMG_1756_zpsyii5y6hs.jpg

Spent the night in Idyllwild, where I went to high school BTW. Got a motel because I'm soft. Woodland Park Manor.

69025518-007F-4B58-AC7B-EC0A294EBE36_zps

Instead of Bee Canyon, I decided to try to make it down the backside of the mountain. Ran into some locked gates. See the video above.

google_earth_zpssvj2h3c6.jpg

Image1_zps41vqiyyy.jpg

Cut up "Little Thomas Mountain" road just south of Lake Hemet. That connects to the main Thomas Mountain road we have taken in the past.

IMG_1760_zpshmu32dkm.jpg

IMG_1762_zpsyi068e6x.jpg

I came down into Anza Sunday midday. Hit the Hideout for a burger and beer. Met my Harley buddy and slabbed it home. That's him in the video above. A good time was had by me.

Nice work, brother ... especially hitting it up solo. Looks like you had perfect weather, too.

Sounds great. My computer will not open the pics. How many miles of dirt vs. pavement did you find?

Sounds great. My computer will not open the pics. How many miles of dirt vs. pavement did you find?

Probably about 50/50 dirt and pavement.

wow-this is the first thread i hit on as a brand new member-right up my alley. I have some riding to do and so does my wife to work up to this but this is exactly the kind of thing we are looking to do on weekends. Outstanding pics and vids-great map showing where you went. Amazing tvscum!

wow-this is the first thread i hit on as a brand new member-right up my alley. I have some riding to do and so does my wife to work up to this but this is exactly the kind of thing we are looking to do on weekends. Outstanding pics and vids-great map showing where you went. Amazing tvscum!

Thanks and welcome to the group! Looks like you have the perfect pair of bikes for you and your wife! There are lots of rides posted every week for noob and intermediate dual sporters. See you on the trails!

PS: I added another map above showing our San Diego county routes.

:good: thanks for sharing

Santa Ysabel TT was open both sides?

Think my bud and I are heading that way this Sunday. It will be his first sumo ride and my 650's first "flat tracker" run, your more than welcome to roll with. :drinks:

Santa Ysabel TT is open both sides no problemo. I will have to see about my schedule for Sunday. By "flat tracker" you mean Black Canyon Rd? I don't think I have seen your Sumo 650.

Are you on that San Diego Supermoto facebook page?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/745875342160482/

I think this page is fast being taken over by flat trackers!!!

Thanks for the gate intell!

SDS Facebook , check.

I've been bogged down with two jobs and haven't been riding much but I finally got a chance to do some work on the 650r, 17s, big front break and lowered her a bit (trying to convince a vertically challenged friend of mine he needs a duelsport) should be lots of fun on the fire roads.

I finally got a chance to do some work on the 650r, 17s, big front break and lowered her a bit

Sorry for the minor thread hijak but nice jon, didn't know you kept the big one, looking forward to see it brraapping!!

The only guy to show up was ring a great escape BMW and he wasn't going to Idyllwild, so I set out solo.

IMG_1728_zpsmbj50nqa.jpg

You met my buddy Chuck. :smile_anim:

I dinked around Jasper Trails and Grapevine Canyon last Sunday. Your route looks much better.

08Mar15%20007-XL.jpg

glad you like the paint.

By tank I assume you're referring to the tonnage :smile_anim: